Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
So Cal
I have a first Generation iPhone I am planning to sell, now that I have finally updated to an IP5. I hung on to the original box but after looking every where, realize it must be in my storage unit. This unit is not near by, about 40 minutes each way.
Does the box add enough value to make it worth going to get? (There is also the chance I actually threw it out during a moment of packing stress)

It will probably cost me about $15 in gas... :rolleyes:

Thanks.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
My personal opinion is forget about the box. Places like Best Buy and Target don't need it though. I think the charger alone adds $5 to what you get from them.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I like to keep my boxes so I have a good amount of apple boxes, always get the same amount as people selling with boxes

norwegian wood

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I have a first Generation iPhone I am planning to sell, now that I have finally updated to an IP5. I hung on to the original box but after looking every where, realize it must be in my storage unit. This unit is not near by, about 40 minutes each way.
Does the box add enough value to make it worth going to get? (There is also the chance I actually threw it out during a moment of packing stress)

Thanks.

i would say yes, because anyone buying an original iphone now would be a collector,who will want the original box for future value. not someone who plans to use it. will you get more money for it? maybe not much more right now. I'm sure you will get some, maybe your 15 bucks back for gas. but yours will sell over one who does not have the original box.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
So Cal
Ebayers appreciate the box. But it's not a deal breaker if you don't have it.

My plan is to sell it on ebay... I saw one with all the original packing go for over 300.00!

Most go for around 50.00 but some around 100.00. Mine is in very good condition...

My storage unit is near my parents home, so maybe I will just wait till the next time I go over there...

Probably good to check in on the unit anyway and I probably have some stuff I could put in it. :eek:

----------

i would say yes, because anyone buying an original iphone now would be a collector,who will want the original box for future value. not someone who plans to use it. will you get more money for it? maybe not much more right now. I'm sure you will get some, maybe your 15 bucks back for gas. but yours will sell over one who does not have the original box.

Good point, maybe I should wait a bit, may be worth more even in another year or 2!

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I have the original box for my 4S, and inside is everything it came with, stickers manuals, cables, headphones, still wrapped in the factory wrap.

I had plenty of extra cables, headphones and chargers, so I didn't need to use the ones it came with.

Do I think it adds a lot of value? Not necessarily. It will make my phone more demanded, though, simply because it has the original box and all accessories factory wrapped...which could hike the price up a bit, depending on how I sell it. (if I sell it)

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
For eBay and Craigslist it definitely does. Adds to the illusion that the product is really "NEW-ish."

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I'd assume anyone who wants an old iPhone and is going to pay good money is going to want the box.

I know when I sold my 4 and my 4s to amazon, the box and cables upped the "value" significantly.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
do people buy just the boxes? or not because the box #s wont match phone?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

Thanks.

The condition of the iPhone is most important, but the box comes in a close second. A collector is looking for the whole experience and the box is definitely part of the character of the device -- especially since Apple became famous for their packaging.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I traded my iPhone 4 into Best Buy when upgrading. I only had the phone on me and was offered $150 so I took the trade. I would have to $12 more if I had included the USB cord and Charger, but felt those were worth keeping for that $12.

When I got home, I realized I still had the box so I looked it up on eBay and people were selling iPhone 4 boxes for $15-$30 so I put mine up for BIN $25 and someone bought it in less than two days.

So yes, they do have value, but if you sell everything as a set on eBay, you'll be able to fetch more as you have a complete set. It may be hit or miss depending on the current used market though.

----------

do people buy just the boxes? or not because the box #s wont match phone?

The person who bought mine on eBay said he bought his son a used iPhone 4 for christmas and wanted an original box to put it in to surprise him. So yes, there is some value to some.

Interesting story, however, I listed a friend's iPhone 4 box on eBay after selling mine and eBay rejected my listing saying I was listing against their policy as people may misunderstand me selling just a box and expect the iPhone as well. I haven't since tried to list again due to possible account suspension. It is odd because I only listed after seeing completed sales of the exact same thing and after successfully selling my own the week prior.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Here in Silicon Valley, you can walk into any of the many surplus electronics "junk yards" and find many "first generation" something. I suppose 20 years from now you can get some serious money for it.

Right now, box not worth it, u'll selling it to an hobbyist, not a collector.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Yeah

This is sort of silly but I still have an old Amiga 1000 computer and the original box it came in.

For some people that's a big deal if they are a fanatic about the product.

I usually keep the boxes for the products for a while just in case I decide to sell down the road.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
So Cal
Well, I finally made it over there and it took me all of 15 seconds to find it. I actually impressed myself with how organized my unit is. Sometimes it pays to be a bit obsessive/compulsive ;)!

Box is in pristine condition and I even have the original iPhone bag! That's got be worth something...

:D:D:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.