Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonYo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2004
SF Bay area, CA
Hey there folks -

Does somethiing like this exist? I want a device that has an SD analog cable-TV input, a TV tuner inside to tune in channels, and analog composite output for video and audio (the standard 3 RCA output jacks). So, it's basically a TV without a screen. However I'd like to control it from my Mac somehow. I don't want a capture device, as I want analog video output to go elsewhere, not my Mac. Not sure how the computer's control/connection should work. Maybe USB or whatever, and something scriptable or usable in some other hands-off sort of way for controling it, rather than only a hands-on generic CLI or GUI. Just brainstorming some semi-ridiculous DIY ideas...

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
I don't know if that exists, but I would just buy a 75$ TV (you can get a 14" crap TV for that:p ) and use that. You could always hook it up to the computer. Try Apple Store under "Video Devices". They might have something.

JonYo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2004
SF Bay area, CA
Well, but then how...

Well, sure, a cheapy TV might have an RCA output and a coax input, but the key here is to be able to control the tuner (IE- change channels) via the computer somehow. This isn't going to be something I'll be doing while I'm sitting there, I'm trying to make an automated sort of thing.

- JonYo

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Many DVD players have such connections, and I guess you could do it with that. I got a 30$ DVD player (code-free), and it has both coax and all this stuff. Not a tuner though, but you could find that.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
You might find a VCR with all those connections (or at least most of them). All VCRs have a built in tuner. You might have to find some SCART-RCA converters. Don't know about the computer control, though... ;)

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Schedule

Are you using a cable or satellite box of any sort? I think even on some TVs that have a channel guide, you can program it to change the channel at a certain time. Would that do what you want?

JonYo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2004
SF Bay area, CA
Re: your replies

I appreciate the replies, but I guess I should be more clear and say that the computer control of the device is the most important part. I want a device that can change the channel on the tuner in an automated fashion. A built in timer won't work, it's gotta be random access abilty to have the computer change the channel at any time. I know this probably sounds weird, but it's for some weird and sorta ridiculous DIY ideas I have...

- JonYo

JonYo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2004
SF Bay area, CA
Re: Elgato's EyeTV stuff

Nope, everything from Elgato has no output other than into the computer. I need composite analog video and analog audio output from the unit, not video/audio into the computer itself. The need for those outputs is why I haven't yet found any existing video capture devices that'll work for my specific application, aside from the fact that they would be a big waste of money, spending THAT much on a device that with all the great vdeo capture capabilites that I wouldn't use, and just use it as essentially a computer-controlled TV tuner.

- JonYo

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
The best I can think of is an Elgato product and a scan converter. My scan converter has VGA passthrough, composite and s-video out.

With the two, you might approximate what you are looking for. Basically, you'd set up your TV as your external/second monitor while converting the signal to analog.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
You could probably get what you want from an AMX or Crestron control system. They're popular in universities (to control multimedia equipment) and businesses (for use in conference rooms) and some people have them at home (for home theater automation)

Usually, they have a programmable touch-screen panel, but they can often be configured to use a web interface. If you throw enough money at an authorized dealer, you can usually get whatever you need.

http://amx.com/
http://www.crestron.com/
Oh, and did I mention they were ridiculously expensive?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Even though you are not looking for a capture device, how about a standalone TiVo? You can probably find a good deal on a used one at eBay and hack it appropriately to be able to control it over Ethernet. It'll have the cable in, video out you desire.

B

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
I would suggest using EyeTV and then mirroring the image from your computer to a TV (or where you want to send the image). Just use one of Apple's adpaters.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
I think...

You can accomplish what you are looking to due with any sort of A/V source (reciver, tv, dvd player) with the Philips iPronto.

It isn't controlled by a computer but be a dedicated tablet/palm device.

Maybe that will work?:confused:

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
You might look into the Formac Studio TRV.

I think that the general idea of it is to watch the TV signal on your Mac, but the thing has so many in- and output jacks, I have a tough time believing that you couldn't somehow set it up to be controlled from your Mac and output somewhere else too.

Not sure, but it could be an option....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.