Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
philadelphia
I got this macbook about a month ago... The palm rests and clicker thingee show a discoloration.. its not completly evident but its deffinatly there.

THe pictures show it a little bit. I know its white and it shouldnt be pefect, but after only a month its kinda dissapointing that its already discolored. I tryed washing it off with a damp cloth; then i tried using a magic eraser; and neither did the job... Notice that the trackpad is not discolored at all -- just the plastic.

So do you think apple will replace this; or is this just user crap....

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5269.jpg

IMG_5266.jpg

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
philadelphia
is this something they can replace on the spot; (or within the day or whatnot); beucase im jsut about to start college, and i really dont know if i wanna give it up for a week; the first week im there, as i dont know whats gonna fall upon me... Escpecially when it still works fine. If i can walk in get it replaced and walk out then ill deffinatlly do it.

uchuff

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2006
ljump12 said:
is this something they can replace on the spot; (or within the day or whatnot);
It's worth asking, although the guy I spoke to on the phone said they would take it for several days. I've now shipped mine back to Apple (Friday) and the online tracking is currently showing "Diagnosing product".

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
philadelphia
uchuff said:
It's worth asking, although the guy I spoke to on the phone said they would take it for several days. I've now shipped mine back to Apple (Friday) and the online tracking is currently showing "Diagnosing product".

hmm maybe ill just wait till i go down to school and inquire at the apple store there.

EDIT:: jsut realized theres no apple store anywwhere in the state :(

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
ljump12 said:
hmm maybe ill just wait till i go down to school and inquire at the apple store there.

EDIT:: jsut realized theres no apple store anywwhere in the state :(
yeah, same here. would be much more convenient to be able to just drive down to a local store and have them look at it on the spot and fix it there. as it is, south carolina is apparently not "rich" enough for Apple, so my MB is in DHL's hands tonight...

oh, and PS: yes, that is the staining. for sure. call applecare and they'll send you a box. they told me 7 days at most, but probably less than that.

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
philadelphia
xfiftyfour said:
yeah, same here. would be much more convenient to be able to just drive down to a local store and have them look at it on the spot and fix it there. as it is, south carolina is apparently not "rich" enough for Apple, so my MB is in DHL's hands tonight...

oh, and PS: yes, that is the staining. for sure. call applecare and they'll send you a box. they told me 7 days at most, but probably less than that.

I called applecare; and they documented that i was experiencing the problems, and they said whenever i get a chance down the road; bring it in and theyll replace it for me. Very reasonable, and exactly what i was looking for. Maybe at christmas when i'm back home, i'll stop at the store here. Until then i'll deal with the staining.. not a big deal.

BTW: I'm going to school down in South Carolina, (College of Charleston) to be exact, and i couldn't believe there was none in the state. King Street in charleston would be the perfect place to open one. King street, has many upclass stores, and all your normal stores. Not to mention its close to a big college and whatnot (well 10,000) but.. I mean if a puma store can survive, i would think an apple store would do well too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.