Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
sometimes power button works and double clicking home button for task switcher works so device isn't frozen but sometimes i have to lock and unlock to get touch screen functionality again

happened on 10.0.2, still on 10.1.1 but less so

iOS 10 bug? argh

I feel like it's not hardware because it is reproducible to fix the issue every time with lock and unlock device without fail

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have Not had this happen. But I have read previous posts from other forum members stating your observations.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I have Not had this happen. But I have read previous posts from other forum members stating your observations.

Would you also think its software ?

Can u link me to other people saying it?

Really don't want to do a swap everything else works fine which is a blessing

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
On 10.0.2 and now 10.1.1, happens on my 7plus.

As soon as I lock device and unlock it works again tho so that leads me to believe it's a software bug. Really don't want to go through swap hell everything else works fine with my iPhone

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Have you tried rebooting? If it continues, do a restore before even considering an exchange. It doesn't sound like a hardware problem.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Have you tried rebooting? If it continues, do a restore before even considering an exchange. It doesn't sound like a hardware problem.

I can always fix it by locking and unlocking

And a reboot will fix it for awhile. Only happens sometimes not even every day
[doublepost=1481152410][/doublepost]
Yea happens to me too

What device(s)? Thanks for input (was on mobile site, just saw signature with 7plus, any other iOS devices on 10 that do it? are you concerned or chalking it up to software as well?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Would you also think its software ?

Can u link me to other people saying it?

Really don't want to do a swap everything else works fine which is a blessing

I read it on a few threads on here. I'm not entirely sure what thread unfortunately. I definitely believe it's software related. Is this an intermittent issue or constant? My other suggestion would be to contact Apple support as well, if you haven't already.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I read it on a few threads on here. I'm not entirely sure what thread unfortunately. I definitely believe it's software related. Is this an intermittent issue or constant? My other suggestion would be to contact Apple support as well, if you haven't already.

I'm apple support'd out with my rMBP 2013

They've replaced logic board and heatsjnk, backlit keyboard stopped working so topcase and battery, same problem so another logic board and still original fan noise that I originally brouThere gonna call me when they get a replacement fan in and expedite the repair process but

I don't want to deal with apple any more than I need to

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I had this happen the other day when I was using FB. Phone locked up and wouldn't let me do anything until the phone went into sleep mode. I actually wonder if it did a respring because I think it asked me for my passcode when I opened it back up, but I'd been trying to do a restart of the phone.... It was a bit annoying because it was my first experience with an iPhone where trying to do a hard restart didn't work - the phone didn't respond.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I had this happen the other day when I was using FB. Phone locked up and wouldn't let me do anything until the phone went into sleep mode. I actually wonder if it did a respring because I think it asked me for my passcode when I opened it back up, but I'd been trying to do a restart of the phone.... It was a bit annoying because it was my first experience with an iPhone where trying to do a hard restart didn't work - the phone didn't respond.

were you trying to hard reset with home + power button?

cause it'd be vol+power, on 7/7+

which device?

joce09

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2015
This has happened to me a few times on my 7+. I don't remember the other times unfortunately, but it happened just this past weekend in Messages for me.

pippakay

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
I've had it happen a few times. Sometimes I have to actually turn the off phone using the slider before it comes back, I think sometimes I am able to push the off button to get it to work again. Simply pushing the home button does not solve the problem, at least for me. if it starts happening regularly, I guess I have to go to the Apple Store, or watch for threads on MacRumors for other people having a problem!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I've had it happen a few times. Sometimes I have to actually turn the off phone using the slider before it comes back, I think sometimes I am able to push the off button to get it to work again. Simply pushing the home button does not solve the problem, at least for me. if it starts happening regularly, I guess I have to go to the Apple Store, or watch for threads on MacRumors for other people having a problem!

So if u just try pressing power button in this state it doesn't lock the phone. U have to hold it to swipe it to turn off and reboot
To resolve at all?

Or did I misinterpret

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
were you trying to hard reset with home + power button?

cause it'd be vol+power, on 7/7+

which device?

7+. And now that I'm thinking about it I was using the old way so that might have been part of the problem... The phone must have resprung, then, because it prompted me for my passcode. This is the first time it's happened but I'll keep an eye out.

DcGamer05

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Litchfield CT
Mine just froze up today. Never done it until I upgraded to the latest iOS 10 beta. It was awful wouldn't unlock and I had to lock the screen first.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
The touch freeze happened while on the phone with a "Senior" Apple advisor who was diagnosing the battery on my 7+, I couldn't minimize the call to get back to the home screen. I was going to exchange this anyway for a 6s+... so this home button freeze confirms I'm doing exactly that.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
since resetting all settings (but not content, keeping data) its been ok for a day or two knock on wood

there was slight intermittent delay but not the same style touch screen lock up as before, maybe this knocked it out one can hope

that would be great, for it to be primed ready for jailbreak

no more camera re springs like 10.0.2 had, but were addressed when I was on 10.1 beta briefly

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My wife's has this issue. She hasn't had time to take it it. Sometimes she gets a full minute or two of no input or input lag. At first I thought it was bad apps or something. It's quite bad.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
always or since 10.1, or ?
I want to say always but I can't be completely certain. I know she's constantly shouting "****ing phone!!!" So I kniwnit must have locked up lol. It's at least a daily occurance but often multiple times a day. And that's just when I'm around her.

It's an iPhone 7 32gb arrived launch day ifbthst is relevant.

Reactions: thadoggfather
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.