Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
My MacBook is in for repair, again. However, I've spoken with Apple and they've told me that they're going to replace it when it gets back from the repair center.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if Apple has fixed their MacBooks so that they don't make a high-pitched buzzing sound anymore. That's why I'm asking you, MacRumors forum visitors, how your MacBooks are. The sound should come from under the top left side of the keyboard, and disappear (or at least quiet down a bit) when CPU activity goes up or if you turn off the second CPU core. It also seems to be quite a bit louder when the power cord is plugged in.

So, the simplest way to test your MacBook (preferably C2D) would probably be to plug it in, close any CPU intense applications, put your ear next to the top left side of the keyboard and launch PhotoBooth. Any difference?

You could also try QuietMBP, or install Apple's CHUD Tools and turn off the second core.

I realize not everyone is bothered by this noise, and some might not even hear it when they're using their computer to do regular work. That's why I'm asking you to put your ear next to the MacBook and listen, because it really annoys me when I'm working someplace quiet. I really hope Apple have fixed this, since they did fix it for the MBP (kbase article).

So, how does your MacBook sound? :)

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
I'm assuming you're talking about the C2D MacBook, but if would be helpful if you (and other people who reply) would specify that.

I really appreciate your help, thank you!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Quiet as a church mouse

Machine Name: Mac
Machine Model: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B00

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
im kinda scared because i know people on this forum who have said that the problem kicked up after a few months. So dont get to comfortable with the silence!

roxnadz

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2006
My C2D makes absolutely no noise at all.

Now I just wish I could figure out my weird wifi/streaming issue...

clicq

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
My Macbook (C2D) has the CPU whine/buzz that goes away when Photobooth is open. Others seem to have the issue as well, as reported in another thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/253600/. I can only hear it in a quiet room though, and even then only if my ear is within 6 inches of the top left corner.

This has also been discussed on Apple's forums:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3724217&#3724217
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3133008&#3133008
and more if you just search there for CPU whine. I think whether you hear it or not is very dependent upon your hearing acuity and how loud the particular Macbook is -- I believe all of them do , but some are probably louder than others...

I've personally heard it on a Core Duo IBM Thinkpad as well, and my desktop PC makes the same noise (though that I can only hear with the case off and my ear very close to the CPU), so it's definitely not limited to Apple.

But despite saying this, I do want to emphasize that it doesn't bother me, and any other noise masks it. (When I first got it, it did annoy me just because I actually started to notice it all the time -- sort of like once you notice a dead pixel on an LCD, it just jumps out at you -- but until Apple acknowledges it as a problem and has a real fix for it, I'm not going to waste my time worrying about it).

chatoyer

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
Te Wai Pounamu, New Zealand
I hear the whine in quiet rooms (MB C2D 2Ghz; 2GB RAM). Unacceptable on the part of either Apple or Intel. I hear it's present on other laptops/notebooks with C2D chips, so it's hardly entirely Apple's fault, but then I'm not entirely certainly it's just the CPU.

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
To you who claim your MacBook is completely silent: are you putting your ear next to the top left of the keyboard and listening?

Hadley

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
To you who claim your MacBook is completely silent: are you putting your ear next to the top left of the keyboard and listening?

if you really need to be that close to a specific part of the keyboard to hear this sound while intently listening, is it that much of a problem? my mbp is silent, even with a stethoscope to the top left corner of the keyboard.

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
if you really need to be that close to a specific part of the keyboard to hear this sound while intently listening, is it that much of a problem? my mbp is silent, even with a stethoscope to the top left corner of the keyboard.

Like I said in the first post:
other said:
I realize not everyone is bothered by this noise, and some might not even hear it when they're using their computer to do regular work. That's why I'm asking you to put your ear next to the MacBook and listen, because it really annoys me when I'm working someplace quiet.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I only hear my MBP C2D when it is in a silent room and even then it just sounds like the fan running. I've always thought it ran louder than I thought it would.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
my C2D Macbook emits the buzzing, but it is only audible when the Magsafe cord is attached. It is reduced by running Photobooth, as others have found...

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
my powerbook G4 actually does this, but only when I am carrying it around. someone suggested it is the feature that prevents harddrive damage if you drop it or sudden motion occurs. while i think that is normally correct and a great feature, i actually don't think it was in place when i received my powerbook, as such i really don't have a darn clue what is causing it, but i guess less mid-operation flight of my powerbook would do the trick.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
Noise?

My C2D macbook does make a whinny noise but it is SO quite that I can't hear it unless I put my head up to it or the room I'm in is so quite that you can hear a pin drop. So unless taking a nap and using my MB as a pillow or I'm in a room where the sound from my keyboard is the loudest thing, I'm ok with it.

The Stig

mike5732

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2006
I have been noticing the high pitched noise for quite a while now. It is only loud when I have the power plugged in. I have also found that it seems to only happen when the battery is charging, though this could be my imagination. Also the pitch does change depending on what the cpu is doing. For instance I have dock magnification on and the noise goes away when I move the mouse over the dock. It also temporarily goes away when I hit the expose button or things like that.

I have a 1.83 core duo (not C2D). I can hear it in a quiet room. It is clearly audible without putting my ear to the computer.

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Well, they changed my logic board. It still whines, and I believe it's at the same volume as before. So, all MacBooks whine?

CodyJ

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2006
None here

Thankfully I haven't had any problems... yet (knock on wood) other than not having wireless access everywhere I go due to the ****** location I am currently residing.

Thank god for Burger King and Del Taco Open Access!

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Whoa, I just gave ShhMBP a try and omg, the high pitch noise is gone! There's still a little whine but it's only audible when my ear is 3 inches from my the keyboard compared to the buzz which could be heard at least 6 inches away. :D :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.