Does your Mac have to be registered to run the developer build?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by blasto2236, Jun 10, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Before anyone deletes this, I am NOT asking for anyone to register me, nor am I trying to trade UDIDs or anything of the sort.

If I manage to obtain the developer preview of Mavericks, does my iMac have to be registered with a dev account like the iPhones/iPads do for iOS? Or will I be able to install it no problem? I hope this is a legit question to ask, still relatively new around here (as far as the release of new OS' goes)

Thanks!

2. macrumors regular

im not really a beta person since i prefer stable builds, but i think the answer is yes

3. macrumors 68000

lulla01

I am pretty sure it does not. But I do not know how it will work when updates are released.

4. macrumors 65816

w0lf

No but this will probably get locked, because the question implies illegal installation.

5. macrumors 65816

Drew017

Usually your mac does not need to be registered to a developer account. You should be able to install it fine… but if you have a developer account and were to install it you wouldn't have this issue ;)

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I was under the impression that buying an Apple developer account WOULD get me legitimate access. But evidently iOS and Mac dev accounts come with their own $100 price tag. Not spending another $100 to try it early.