Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Yes, I made a typo, and it was a poor choice of word. Thanks you kindly pointing it out.

What I tried to described was a "cracking" sound (or snapping sound? - I'm not sure how to described it) I noticed when I picked up my MBA with the lid closed; more specifically when I grabbed the black plastic part of the hinge. This is not the same creaking that the OP was referring to, and so nevermind.

Last edited:

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
to those who were replaced.. did you bring the box too? charger and installer?

the reason is. last week i had a problem with my ATV 2 and they asked for the box remote and power cable..

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
My creaking has gotten more and more annoying as I use the laptop more and more.
I am going to make an appointment with the genius. The thing is, I can't hear it everytime, but randomly often enough. I hope they can hear it in the store or do something... either tighten or replace it.

Will let you guys know how it goes. They better do something, its unacceptable for something I paid a lot of money for, just the genius have never been that nice/understanding from my experiences.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
some of you guys are freakin' obsessed to the point where i'm a bit embarrassed for you. :D

find something more worthwhile to do? jk

i'd rather have a creak here and there and not mess with factory build or chance getting another with a dead pixel. the laptop's gonna get used. just enjoy it.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
some of you guys are freakin' obsessed to the point where i'm a bit embarrassed for you. :D

find something more worthwhile to do? jk

i'd rather have a creak here and there and not mess with factory build or chance getting another with a dead pixel. the laptop's gonna get used. just enjoy it.

Well, I mean I paid a lot of money for it... it should come perfect. I understand things can happen from wear/tear from regular use, but yeah..
I am going to at least just see if they can tighten it, I think that's the problem with the bottom part mine is creaking on the bottom right when I rest my palms while I type or on the trackpad to click.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Well, I mean I paid a lot of money for it... it should come perfect. I understand things can happen from wear/tear from regular use, but yeah..
I am going to at least just see if they can tighten it, I think that's the problem with the bottom part mine is creaking on the bottom right when I rest my palms while I type or on the trackpad to click.

i understand you bro. it is a lot of dough. stack them benjamins on a kitchen table and you're like damn that's a lot of money i just spent.

but the more stuff you buy like this the more you realize... nothing's perfect. mine sometimes makes more like a crack noise when i move it around. it could be worse.

hope you get it remedied in short order.

gonzoguy24

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
Creaking

My new 13.3 inch MBA is creaking like crazy. It is really starting to bother me. Even if it is on my stomach in my bed and i just rest my palm on it, it creaks! It seems to me as if the unibody construction is very flimsy...

Should I take it in? Am I being a whiner? All criticism welcome!

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I didn't see either of the threads about the MBA's creaking issue until this morning. I bought my 13 inch MBA last month; it is as rigid as a board and has yet to produce any unexpected sound.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
No creaking here, either. I'd take it in and have them look at it. The torx screws might need some tightening.

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Hmmm. For the record, my creaking stopped after about a week. No idea why.

Bri

Willyee3

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
does the cracking sound hurt your computer in any way ? if it doesnt, i wont get it changed.. cuz its not THAT bad... its like small and sometimes i cant even replicate it. but if it eventually will hurt your computer in the long run... then i guess ill go get it replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.