Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Creep89

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I'm still hoping for Belkin to release the new dock in time before my 15" gets delivered, but I created a backup plan consisting of... Dongles.

• Plugable USB 3.1 Typ-C (USB-C) to DisplayPort cable
  • AUKEY USB C Adapter to USB 3.0 A
  • AUKEY USB C Hub Ethernet to 3 Port USB 3.0 + Ethernet OR
  • AUKEY USB C Adapter to Gigabite Ethernet
Oh snap, I'm not feeling well buying tons of dongles. All I want is a decent docking station. So far the best solution is the newly announced dock by Belkin, but what about the other manufactures? Are they sleeping?

Reactions: Baldrake

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I'm wondering why most of the people are going for full on hubs when the Macbook Pro's have 4 USB'c ports... any special reason?

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
I'm wondering why most of the people are going for full on hubs when the Macbook Pro's have 4 USB'c ports... any special reason?
My MBP will be a desktop replacement, but will be used as a laptop out of the house. Probably 75% of the time sitting on a desk with the lid closed.

Would much rather have 1 plug to plug in when home. (Will probably have a hub at home and some dongles for multiple things in my bag)

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I will give you another example...

Right now on my MacBook, I have a dongle. It is weighted down by an ethernet wire, USB flash drive and additional pass-through charging cable.

With an actual hub, all those devices will be plugged into the hub and just one cable (as vintagebob verified above) gets plugged into the laptop.

Yeah, the new MacBook Pro has 4 hubs, but why all these wires and flash drives coming out of it when you can simply plug them somewhere else and control it by a single connection.

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I ordered a usb-c to usb-a from Apple and already received it. Ideally I would like a hub I could throw in my bag for ethernet, SD card, USB-a and HDMI, but I will wait for more reviews till a buy one. OWC offers and nice hub, but it's super bulky and expensive.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I'm going to be testing the TB3 to TB2 adapter today. I'm going to see if there's any degrading of the signal due to latency. On my MBP I get 1.3ms roundtrip in Logic with a TB Audio interface. That's virtually zero :D ; although, these specs can be skewed to some extent. Any skew will also be in the test computer, so there shouldn't be any ambiguity, I don't think.

We shall see. If there's an issue, It would be a concern for some people. It also would look bad for this transition.

Last edited:

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I ordered a usb-c to usb-a from Apple and already received it. Ideally I would like a hub I could throw in my bag for ethernet, SD card, USB-a and HDMI, but I will wait for more reviews till a buy one. OWC offers and nice hub, but it's super bulky and expensive.

The OWC hub is crap. Read the Amazon reviews. I was horrified. "Cheap Piece of Junk," one reviewer called it.

See the hub in post #33 above.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I also did a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 for my Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter (I hope it works like that) at my desk. If that's not possible with that adapter, can someone chime in?

I was wondering about that too. My monitor uses DVI as well - yes, it's an antique, but it works. But TB3->TB2 is an expensive dongle! I hate to pay that!

According to https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207266, I believe the setup will work.
- It unfortunately will not work like that, which is also spelled out pretty clearly in that linked support document.

You need a different sort of adaptor for your DVI monitors.

The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter doesn't support connections to these devices:

• Apple DisplayPort display
  • DisplayPort devices or accessories, such as Mini DisplayPort to HDMI or Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapters
  • 4K Mini DisplayPort displays that don’t have Thunderbolt

Reactions: Baldrake

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
- It unfortunately will not work like that, which is also spelled out pretty clearly in that linked support document.

You need a different sort of adaptor for your DVI monitors.

Bummer. Probably worth it to just switch to HDMI and grab an adapter for that. I only justified the Thunderbolt adapter and using the DVI since it's multipurpose. Might just switch over to HDMI to the monitor instead.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Caldigit seems to be a better choice.

I spent a day scouring over reviews of PLUGABLE, OCW and CALDIGIT. The Caldigit clearly rose above the pack. No, it doesn't have a built in SSD card reader, but that can be fixed with a dongle plug-in adapter.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Bummer. Probably worth it to just switch to HDMI and grab an adapter for that. I only justified the Thunderbolt adapter and using the DVI since it's multipurpose. Might just switch over to HDMI to the monitor instead.
- Definitely do that if it has HDMI. If you don't need DL, you can also do USB-C to HDMI adaptor followed by an HDMI to DVI cable.

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
- Definitely do that if it has HDMI. If you don't need DL, you can also do USB-C to HDMI adaptor followed by an HDMI to DVI cable.

Probably worth it to just go straight to HDMI. I appreciate the heads up.

Since HDMI generally carries audio (although my monitor does not accept audio), is there anything I'd need to do when I boot it connected to the monitor, like switch the audio output every time? I'm supposing in my scenario, HDMI would just carry the video and there wouldn't even be any audio option.

Reactions: Ianbuckley

Baldrake

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Great White North
Wow. The cost of dongles is going to obscene. I'm going to need a basketful of them between my wife's and my setups at home and work. It looks like my $4k laptop purchase is going to have to trigger a significant monitor upgrade too! Ouch!

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Wow. The cost of dongles is going to obscene. I'm going to need a basketful of them between my wife's and my setups at home and work. It looks like my $4k laptop purchase is going to have to trigger a significant monitor upgrade too! Ouch!

Tell me about it. This is taking some real planning! Hopefully the transition happens quickly over the next few years.
[doublepost=1477761182][/doublepost]Actually. It looks like there is no USB-C to HDMI. Just the multiport adapter. Apple Support says the USB-C to HDMI is coming soon. Might hold off for that.

Tayljones6

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2016
I only need USB classic for a few things and will be going with either of these 2

$30- vs $20 a single cable from Apple
https://www.iogear.com/product/GUH3C14/

or

$50 with external power supply
https://www.iogear.com/product/GUH3C24P/

I have a DSLR that uses SD cards but have a USB 2 reader which I carry anyway.

To me everything will be USB-C in a few years and I can live with 1 extra small piece equipment to carry around.
[doublepost=1477762162][/doublepost]I have a question for the individuals that use your laptop with TVs and Monitors.

Would you consider using an apple tv with airplay instead?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Since HDMI generally carries audio (although my monitor does not accept audio), is there anything I'd need to do when I boot it connected to the monitor, like switch the audio output every time? I'm supposing in my scenario, HDMI would just carry the video and there wouldn't even be any audio option.
- You are correct. If there's no audio support, there won't be an option, and you don't have to do anything.

Actually. It looks like there is no USB-C to HDMI. Just the multiport adapter. Apple Support says the USB-C to HDMI is coming soon. Might hold off for that.
- There are USB-C to HDMI from third parties all over. Just do an Amazon search.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Anyone know a good USB-c to DVI? Apparently my clever plan to use the thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 to DVI won't work. :(

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I am surprised no-one is considering a USB-C port

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15250

I am using this one from Monoprice for my MacBook and I love it!
Honestly if they could just get an sd slot in that thing it would be great
[doublepost=1477762984][/doublepost]
http://www.bourgedesign.com/pre-order

Nice but man that is spendy

Arc-Hub-2.jpg

Nice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.