Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flummoxer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
san frantastico
currently it's a huge waste of time.

I scheduled with apples scheduler, backed up and erased my phone, made it to the appointment to discover I couldn't get a replacement battery until after dec 5th when a shipment of batteries arrives. They did make me stay around for 15 minutes so they could run apple diagnostics, dither, and 'get a battery assigned' whatever that meant. Will need to go to another follow up appointment to get the battery actually replaced after the 5th.

In short, thanks for using up an hour of my time today apple, please remit 150 to compensate for your incompetent auto-scheduler thingy.

I went to verizon authorized repair place, the dec 5th date was stated by them so maybe it's off, and maybe one can still have luck at apple stores

Reactions: freepomme

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Jun 10, 2016
currently it's a huge waste of time.

I scheduled with apples scheduler, backed up and erased my phone, made it to the appointment to discover I couldn't get a replacement battery until after dec 5th when a shipment of batteries arrives. They did make me stay around for 15 minutes so they could run apple diagnostics, dither, and 'get a battery assigned' whatever that meant. Will need to go to another follow up appointment to get the battery actually replaced after the 5th.

In short, thanks for using up an hour of my time today apple, please remit 150 to compensate for your incompetent auto-scheduler thingy.

I went to verizon authorized repair place, the dec 5th date was stated by them so maybe it's off, and maybe one can still have luck at apple stores

Alternatively you could just call in, schedule an express replacement and have it done and taken care of in ~10 minutes. The only one at fault for your lost time is you, and I guarantee your time isn't worth $150/hr, especially when you're actually getting the issue taken care of in a few days.

flummoxer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
san frantastico
Alternatively you could just call in, schedule an express replacement and have it done and taken care of in ~10 minutes. The only one at fault for your lost time is you, and I guarantee your time isn't worth $150/hr, especially when you're actually getting the issue taken care of in a few days.

I did schedule an express appointment, as I stated at the very start of my post. Apple's scheduler is for just this issue, yet it had me waste an hour so far going in to accomplish nothing, and go back yet again wasting another hour. Then backup + restore iphone twice now, and resetting all the little settings restoring fails to restore. likely 3 hours spent on a 1 hour task. And it's not a phone replacement, they're replacing batteries only.

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Jun 10, 2016
The customer is never wrong
When the customer is a whining brat that expects preferential treatment and their hand held? They're wrong.

When the customer starts making demands like "you should pay me $150 for my time in addition to fixing my out of warranty problem for free"? They're wrong.

When the customer has other options, but instead, willingly chooses the most drawn out one only to complain? They're wrong.

You can cite that mantra all you want, but it's no excuse for acting like a spoiled child. OP is owed nothing and has no reason to be on here whining about it.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
When the customer is a whining brat that expects preferential treatment and their hand held? They're wrong.

When the customer starts making demands like "you should pay me $150 for my time in addition to fixing my out of warranty problem for free"? They're wrong.

When the customer has other options, but instead, willingly chooses the most drawn out one only to complain? They're wrong.

You can cite that mantra all you want, but it's no excuse for acting like a spoiled child. OP is owed nothing and has no reason to be on here whining about it.
lol I feel you have never worked retail.

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Jun 10, 2016
lol I feel you have never worked retail.

Luckily, no. I do, however, own a business and deal directly with customers every day. I see the same sort of whining because of the environment in society. People are coddled, told they're the specialest of all the snowflakes, and subsequently expect their hand held every step of the way and every demand they have to be met.

But the problem with that is their tantrum like reactions to being told "No". Not for me, of course, but for them. When you make a quality product, you have customers lined up and waiting, and you have the ability to tell those that want to throw tantrums off. You'd be amazed at how fast someone's attitude changes when their options are an order cancelation or behaving like an adult.

Apple makes quality products. They have lines of people waiting at every launch, and even many days when stores open. The battery replacement program is a courtesy that's extended for free to those affected by a minor issue. They don't have to extend that courtesy. Warranties are up, and legally they could leave people to pay for battery replacements. But they're not.
So when a customer like the OP comes along, throwing a fit and acting like a baby? Yeah. He's in the wrong.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Luckily, no. I do, however, own a business and deal directly with customers every day. I see the same sort of whining because of the environment in society. People are coddled, told they're the specialest of all the snowflakes, and subsequently expect their hand held every step of the way and every demand they have to be met.

But the problem with that is their tantrum like reactions to being told "No". Not for me, of course, but for them. When you make a quality product, you have customers lined up and waiting, and you have the ability to tell those that want to throw tantrums off. You'd be amazed at how fast someone's attitude changes when their options are an order cancelation or behaving like an adult.

Apple makes quality products. They have lines of people waiting at every launch, and even many days when stores open. The battery replacement program is a courtesy that's extended for free to those affected by a minor issue. They don't have to extend that courtesy. Warranties are up, and legally they could leave people to pay for battery replacements. But they're not.
So when a customer like the OP comes along, throwing a fit and acting like a baby? Yeah. He's in the wrong.
True....I'm a manager at Kohls, and even though the customer isn't always right, we still bend over backwards to do whatever pleases the customer, whether they are right or wrong. Thats retail for ya, and its only something you can learn while working retail.

Last edited:

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
I walked in with a baby in tow, sweating whilst restraining her and waiting for my 20 mins late genius appointment only to be told no batteries in stock. I understand, but really if you ask me to come in to replace my battery maybe you could ensure there are ample stocks of batteries?
Apple becoming more like your 'left arm doesn't know what the right arm is doing' kind of company.

Reactions: flummoxer

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
that seems weird that they didn't have batteries. where I live theres 3 apple stores within 20miles of me. and 2 of them are less than 7 miles away. the farthest one is 19.4 or something like that. I guess it depends where you live, some higher volume stores keep lots of stock of parts and phones/batteries/screens etc...
[doublepost=1480776495][/doublepost]
I walked in with a baby in tow, sweating whilst restraining her and waiting for my 20 mins late genius appointment only to be told no batteries in stock. I understand, but really if you ask me to come in to replace my battery maybe you could ensure there are ample stocks of batteries?
Apple becoming more like your 'left arm doesn't know what the right arm is doing' kind of company.

maybe for products. but the people who work the genius bar are just regular people that try to help you. they don't care about selling things because thats not their job. i know a handful of people who work at different stores and since they don't have pressure to sell things, what they get viewed on is how well they help people who visit the genius bar. I had a good experience yesterday getting my display replaced for no cost under warranty for a single hairline crack. I did a walk-in appointment, and yes i had to leave and come back an hour later, but they still were like yes don't worry you don't have to pay, we'll fix it and come back in an hour so we can do it, went and got food, came back waited 5 minutes and it was gone.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Schedule the appointment for after the 5th say on the 10th then they should have the batteries in stock

freepomme

Suspended
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
They'll only replace your phone if the battery replacement goes wrong. But if they don't have the batteries to do the battery replacement, why don't they just swap the phones? Apparently because they don't have enough phones.

¯\(°_O)/¯

This whole thing about, "It's after warranty so you should be lucky it's getting replaced for free."

No, no! We told them that before the warranty is up. So now for us to be grateful that they're replacing it after the warranty, after the investigation, after we told them about the problem with these phones, MEANS NOTHING!

kukheart

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2003
Dallas
same here, went into Apple store in Frisco TX, was told no batteries in stock, they turned off find my iPhone, they have my info for when the battery comes in and they will call/e-mail me, they told me to come back then and it would take an hour and a half to do, so basically an evening wasted, thanks for nothing.

freepomme

Suspended
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
same here, went into Apple store in Frisco TX, was told no batteries in stock, they turned off find my iPhone, they have my info for when the battery comes in and they will call/e-mail me, they told me to come back then and it would take an hour and a half to do, so basically an evening wasted, thanks for nothing.
That's Apple!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
True....I'm a manager at Kohls, and even though the customer isn't always right, we still bend over backwards to do whatever pleases the customer, whether they are right or wrong. Thats retail for ya, and its only something you can learn while working retail.

I've worked in a restaurant for over 10 years. The customer may never be 'wrong' but there are points where we refuse to help the customer because they have blown things out of proportion. When a customer wants an entire $200 dollar check comped because one entree took a little longer than the rest, we say no. We offer a free dessert or comp that one meal, but if they continue to throw a fit, they don't even get that. We rather lose a couple guests than to constantly have them come back and get free food. At some point you must draw that line.

Reactions: HEK

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Kohls really does go out of there way for the customer. They have such a loyal following being they make so many exceptions. I Agree with you though.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The apple instruction page for the issue says to do that. https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Just because it says it, doesn't mean you have to. If you absolutely had to they would make you wipe it at the store. Besides the majority of people getting their devices fixed probably aren't even looking at the website or even know it exists. They are probably going in for battery problems and being told they qualify for a free replacement. Not many people in terms of devices sold are on MacRumors or any of these type of websites.

flummoxer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
san frantastico

So you make appointments with your customers when you're unprepared then when they show up you tell them "oh I wasn't actually ready, make an appointment next week and don't whine about me wasting your time you crybaby"?
Somehow I don't think you're actually in business.
[doublepost=1480878821][/doublepost]
Just because it says it, doesn't mean you have to. If you absolutely had to they would make you wipe it at the store. Besides the majority of people getting their devices fixed probably aren't even looking at the website or even know it exists. They are probably going in for battery problems and being told they qualify for a free replacement. Not many people in terms of devices sold are on MacRumors or any of these type of websites.

So I'm at fault for following instructions and trying not to waste THEIR time by being prepared?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
So you make appointments with your customers when you're unprepared then when they show up you tell them "oh I wasn't actually ready, make an appointment next week and don't whine about me wasting your time you crybaby"?
Somehow I don't think you're actually in business.
[doublepost=1480878821][/doublepost]

So I'm at fault for following instructions and trying not to waste THEIR time by being prepared?

I mean you are at fault for not verifying they have the battery in stock before wiping your phone, if you consider that wasting your time. It takes all of 2 minutes to wipe your phone in store, you can do it while they are filing out the paperwork.

Reactions: bhayes444

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I made an appointment though Apple's web based serial number checker utility. Got to the Apple Store tonight for the appointment and they told me they didn't have any batteries yet. They took my contact info down, ran a diagnostic and said they'd contact me when they came in.

Too bad I didn't see this thread beforehand. But fortunately I didn't do anything like wipe my phone. I just made sure my iCloud backup was up to date.

Reactions: lordofthereef

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Same here as the OP and others. Specifically scheduled using the online tool that checks eligibility, drive almost an hour, wait 30+ minutes past my scheduled time only to be told I have to come back in a week. They didn't do diagnostics or anything that I needed to come in for. Very disappointing experience.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Well to add again to this my mom just texted me and said she waited 30 minutes past her appointment time only to be told they have none in stock. Apple Store is 30 mins from her house and she scheduled the appt 7 days in advance.

Pathetic.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Kind of incredible how defensive people are of Apple here.

I scheduled an appointment and was told to come back. I live down the street and didn't waste an hour. I had other things to do in them all anyway. But it seems if they have a system in place to check a serial number it would be just as easy to use that serial to set up an appointment and that appointment is made available when when a shipment of batteries is expected to arrive. I honestly didn't think I had to call the store to see if there was a battery because I was using the resources Apple publicly made available.

I'm not quite as upset by my wasted time as others may be, but I do think there's a better way to do this. And that's not to mention the time slot that my appointment took up that could have been used for someone receiving actual help. I actually had to wait two days for the next appointment in the first place, which wasn't an issue to me since this is likely Apple's busiest time of year. But if they're making many people come in twice, there's possibly s lesson in efficiency there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.