Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
In Chrome (and presumably Safari) it used to be possible to double-tap a block of text and the view would automatically snap to the width of the text. That no longer works in 13. Is that an option somewhere now? It’s possible to pinch to zoom but the old tap method was instant and one-handed.

Reactions: !!! and mgarc1125

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
In Chrome (and presumably Safari) it used to be possible to double-tap a block of text and the view would automatically snap to the width of the text. That no longer works in 13. Is that an option somewhere now? It’s possible to pinch to zoom but the old tap method was instant and one-handed.
Work for me in safari.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
In iOS 11 I found that it depended on the website. Some websites it always worked while others never worked and I suspect it is due to the way the website is designed.

No doubt you have tried extensively but just in case have you tested it on websites which you know for certain worked before?

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
For sure. It’s worse than that! On MacRumours home page you can double-tap to room in the side bar, but not on the main column.

Reactions: mgarc1125

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
In iOS 11 I found that it depended on the website. Some websites it always worked while others never worked and I suspect it is due to the way the website is designed.

No doubt you have tried extensively but just in case have you tested it on websites which you know for certain worked before?
Yes, definitely. It does seem to affect Chrome more than Safari, though.

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Ditto. Only got it to work less than 5 times. It’s very intermittent and inconsistent.

RedGT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2014
London innit
I thought it had gone completely, then got it to work. But only once....it was/is such a useful feature, hope it gets sorted.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Wish I had found this thread earlier (Before I posted this question in another thread)

It doesn’t work at all anymore on my iPad Air 2. I thought is was just me. Hopefully it will get fixed on the next point release.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
I just noticed that whenever I want to double tap a paragraph in safari to "fit" the paragraph to my screen, it no longer works. I used this all the time! Anyone else annoyed by all the features removed in iOS 13?

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I went to distrowatch dot com on my iPhone XR, tapped a paragraph in the middle column and it zoomed to fit the screen. It even zoomed on my iPad Air 3, even though no zoom was necessary. Distrowatch isn’t coded to be a responsive HTML site, so I’m wondering if part of this problem has to do with how each site is designed.

DaBozMan

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2016
So iOS 13.2 is now out and this is still not working.
Extremely annoying.
Can only assume the feature has either been removed or is somehow nerfed by the new gestures.

@revmacian - interesting. I tried the site you mention and it does seem to work on there.
it used to work pretty much everywhere, so again I wonder if something is getting in the way...

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
So iOS 13.2 is now out and this is still not working.
Extremely annoying.
Can only assume the feature has either been removed or is somehow nerfed by the new gestures.

@revmacian - interesting. I tried the site you mention and it does seem to work on there.
it used to work pretty much everywhere, so again I wonder if something is getting in the way...
Yep, tap-to-zoom works great on Distrowatch, but it doesn’t work at all on MacRumors. I think this is because MacRumors is designed to be a responsive HTML website whereas Distrowatch is not. One of the benefits of responsive design is that tap-to-zoom shouldn’t be necessary and the responsive website will render differently according to the device being used. I don’t think it’s a problem with iOS at all. As more website are redesigned with responsive HTML code, I think we’ll see tap-to-zoom fade into the past.

Last edited:

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Any news on this? It hasn't worked for me for a year or so. Extremely useful feature that suddenly didn't work anymore... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.