Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
Coming from the iPhone 12 Mini and the iPhone 13 Mini, I had decided to buy the 14 Pro given the lack of a 14 Mini phone. I spent months trying to get used to the added weight and the large form factor coming from the minis but it just never felt right, even after trying many cases to try to improve grip and comfort.

Yesterday, I wondered into an Apple Store and randomly saw the 13 Mini on display, and on my favorite color (forest green). I casually picked it up for nostalgia reasons and suddenly it all came back to me, that satisfaction feeling of holding a device that just feels perfectly sized in the hand. So, in an impulse, I bought it (while still having my 14 Pro).

I just listed the 14 Pro online to sell it because I can’t go back to it. I just can’t quit the 13 Mini.

My only concern is battery life, altho tbh, the battery life on my 14 Pro wasn’t great either. And I do have a MagSafe battery pack I carry in my backpack. But the comfort more than makes up for it. I do miss the ProMotion display but already used to the 60Hz display of the mini.

I’m now rocking the 13 Mini in my pocket, and an iPad Pro 11” at home. I think it’s a great combo.

Anyone else here “downgrade” from larger Pro iPhone and return to the 13 Mini? Any regrets so far?

Cheers.

IMG_2367.jpeg

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
That’s my favorite color, too!

I haven’t made the step up from my 12 mini yet, but I’m 99% sure I won’t get a larger iPhone. Either there will be a 15 mini, or I’ll stick with a 13 mini once battery life gets too bad on my 12 mini.

I hear you!

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I've used an iPhone 13, 13 Mini, 14 Pro Max, and now I have a 14 Pro.

The 14 Pro is my favorite of them all.

The 13 Mini didn't work for me. Battery life wasn't good enough and I don't like using a MagSafe battery pack. Keyboard was cramped. Speaker too weak for podcasts. I do think however the height of the device is ideal.

If the 13 Mini works for you that's awesome. I hope Apple keeps a Mini model in the lineup moving forward and just updates it every 2-3 years.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Yes, similarly I tried to enjoy the 14 size and weight but could not. I’d be interested in a 6-month update or so, to see if you’re still feeling the same after a while. But you mention you had this phone before too, so I guess you’re familiar with it. Enjoy! Forest green color looks great.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I regretted exchanging my XS for a 12 mostly because of the size increase. So my current 13 Mini solves that for sure, it's been great these last 8 months.

The only reason I can think of to upgrade to a 14/15/etc Pro would be regaining the telephoto lens, still miss it. I am very happy with my three MagSafe accessories (charger, wallet, battery), otherwise I might have switched back to that XS or 11 Pro form factor.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
I will more than likely be dropping down from the Pro Max to the regular Pro for my next phone. I love the screen real estate on the Max, but over the past year, the size of the phone has slowly started to become a slight issue for me. I still think another size option in-between the Max & Pro would be perfect, but sadly I don't see them doing that anytime soon.

Phil-from-Hamburg

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2021
I never upgraded to one of the pro models. I am very happy with my 13 Mini. To cope with the small battery I bought a third party magsafe battery which works really well for me.
However, I think Apple will never do the Mini in this small size again due to the battery limitations. Maybe they do a slightly larger one some
time which has better battery but remains its small footprint 🙏🙏

Reactions: thatJohann

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I never upgraded to one of the pro models. I am very happy with my 13 Mini. To cope with the small battery I bought a third party magsafe battery which works really well for me.
However, I think Apple will never do the Mini in this small size again due to the battery limitations. Maybe they do a slightly larger one some
time which has better battery but remains its small footprint 🙏🙏
Technology is getting more and more efficient. It’s just that most customers are looking for big screens. 13 mini is still being sold, it might see an update sometime in the future. Here’s hoping.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Coming from the iPhone 12 Mini and the iPhone 13 Mini, I had decided to buy the 14 Pro given the lack of a 14 Mini phone. I spent months trying to get used to the added weight and the large form factor coming from the minis but it just never felt right, even after trying many cases to try to improve grip and comfort.

Yesterday, I wondered into an Apple Store and randomly saw the 13 Mini on display, and on my favorite color (forest green). I casually picked it up for nostalgia reasons and suddenly it all came back to me, that satisfaction feeling of holding a device that just feels perfectly sized in the hand. So, in an impulse, I bought it (while still having my 14 Pro).

I just listed the 14 Pro online to sell it because I can’t go back to it. I just can’t quit the 13 Mini.

My only concern is battery life, altho tbh, the battery life on my 14 Pro wasn’t great either. And I do have a MagSafe battery pack I carry in my backpack. But the comfort more than makes up for it. I do miss the ProMotion display but already used to the 60Hz display of the mini.

I’m now rocking the 13 Mini in my pocket, and an iPad Pro 11” at home. I think it’s a great combo.

Anyone else here “downgrade” from larger Pro iPhone and return to the 13 Mini? Any regrets so far?

Cheers.

View attachment 2203145

Excellent that you actually gave the other size a try. Best thing to do is use it everyday to know if it will work for YOU. I had a XR which I got used to but it was a bit bulky, changed to a 13 Pro and love its slimmer size but same screen. A Max for me is too big, I love the screen but having handled them I know I'll end up hating the bulk in my pocket, the Mini is a fantastic size but I know my fat fingers will eventually hate typing on it.
So I've stuck with the middle ground, small enough and big enough for me.

Last edited:

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Last year I replaced my 11 Pro Max with a 13 Mini. When I received the phone I asked myself “Am I really doing this, spending more money for a smaller phone”. We are used to equating value for money and performance with larger phone.

Pros:D
-I only feel comfortable using the small screen for 20min. Futhermore, battery life isn’t stellar. As a result, I use my phone less and am more social.
-Because I don’t have a large phone, I use my M1 iPad Pro more.
-My thumb feels less strained from reaching across a large screen. Both the lower size and weight help. The new 14 and Pro variants are heavy. Much more so than my 11 Pro that I sold.
-The small size and weight is brilliant. It fits into my car’s cup holder both in the centre console and the door!

Cons:confused:
-Battery life is average. With advance won’t last for a full days use from 0800 to even 1800. Basically it’s for those who “live on their phone” or rely on it for work. This is not an issue for me as I work from home but for long trips out I have two power banks.
-I miss the macro lens on my 11 Pro Max. It was very handy for close up shots.
-It’s not cheap. I could have purchased a 14 for almost the same money. However it’s not cheap because it has pretty much the same internals as a 14 and is blisteringly quick for editing videos.

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
This is not a downgrade. For you personally, it's an upgrade.

Did the same some weeks ago. Took me three days to go back to the iPhone 13 mini after using the iPhone 14.
I’ve been think about switching to regular 13, from my mini… I love my mini but been feeling like a big phone might be nice again. Did it suck that much to go bigger phone again?

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I went from the 12 mini to the 14 Pro. I’ve been considering the upgrade/downgrade to the 13 mini since I bought the 14 Pro. I definitely miss the mini size, but I’m so used to the always on display now, I’d have to get used to going back to how it was. Especially in my car, I have an older car with an older 2 color, low resolution display that only displays basic info, it’s nice having it mounted and locked over my CD tray. Easy to see how long in a song or podcast I have left. Going back to the 13 mini would require me to do that extra tap on the screen to wake it up. Before, I was using my Apple Watch for this info, so I can certainly readjust.

Another thing I bought the 14 Pro for was Emergency SOS and crash detection. I’ve since purchased an AW Ultra, so that covers crash detection, and I’m very unlikely to get lost in the woods without my fiancé - who also has a 14 Pro, so I think that feature is covered as well.

I’ve said this before, but my still cramping hands will definitely thank me for the switch. It’s still very much worse than when I was using my 12 mini before.

I should probably thank Apple for not putting the 13 mini on the refurbished store yet, I would have almost certainly bought one just to give it a test drive for a couple weeks.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
That’s my favorite color, too!

I haven’t made the step up from my 12 mini yet, but I’m 99% sure I won’t get a larger iPhone. Either there will be a 15 mini, or I’ll stick with a 13 mini once battery life gets too bad on my 12 mini.

I hear you!
Yes, the forest green color on the 13 Mini is my favorite iPhone color ever. For someone like me who enjoys nature and plants, it’s just perfect.

This is not a downgrade. For you personally, it's an upgrade.

Did the same some weeks ago. Took me three days to go back to the iPhone 13 mini after using the iPhone 14.
That’s right. It’s a breath of fresh air to be able to use this phone one-handed and put it in my shirt pocket and not feel like I’m carrying something, it just disappears into my pants. A joy to use.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
i’m really enjoying my 13 mini as well. If there’s any downgrade it's in the size but I actually consider that an upgrade because that’s the entire reason I got it was for the smaller size.
considering the smaller battery does anyone leave 5G auto on all the time? It’s sketchy here at my house so I usually just leave it on LTE so it’s not constantly trying to connect. But other areas in town that I frequent have strong 5G signal. So torn between leaving it on 5G auto or just LTE all the time unless I’m downloading something large.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mini owners please check in your settings to allow Data Analytics to be sent to developers! This lets them know metrics how many minis are in use what iOS versions they’re on as well.

This way they continue to create apps an updates that work ob our favourite phone! And not exclude us.

Cheers!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cons:confused:
-Battery life is average. With advance won’t last for a full days use from 0800 to even 1800. Basically it’s for those who “live on their phone” or rely on it for work. This is not an issue for me as I work from home but for long trips out I have two power banks.
-I miss the macro lens on my 11 Pro Max. It was very handy for close up shots.
-It’s not cheap. I could have purchased a 14 for almost the same money. However it’s not cheap because it has pretty much the same internals as a 14 and is blisteringly quick for editing videos.

Who in their right mind would buy a 14 over an iPhone 13 mini when just considering price and NOT evaluate the CON that the 14 is using the SAME cpu as the mini!!?? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

for those who “live on their phone” - they’re not really living just mindlessly consuming far too much media (social media). If you’re a true influencer of social media then yes you’re working and need the consistent battery life of promoting yourself every few minutes. As well as needing portrait camera over anything else.

The 13 mini isn’t cheap cause other than 1 less gpu, smaller battery, and missing macro lens, no pro motion display, it’s has the same capabilities in function as the 13/14 Pro. It is NOT an SE.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
The 13 mini isn’t cheap cause other than 1 less gpu, smaller battery, and missing macro lens, no pro motion display, it’s has the same capabilities in function as the 13/14 Pro. It is NOT an SE.
Yup. It's a pocket sized smartphone. The size is misleading - especially if in a cute case. Video editing on it as it easy as on my M1 MBP and M1 iPad.

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
considering the smaller battery does anyone leave 5G auto on all the time?

I leave it on all the time. A few months ago, my plan would not include 5G, so I had 5G switched off, but now it’s included, so I have it active. I can’t say I notice any difference in battery life, so I’d guess it’s probably there but small.

The connections seem to be better, more stable, I’d say, so I prefer to keep 5G activated.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
For a while I seriously considered going back to a dumbphone, having deliberately used my phone a lot less in the last few years*. Never done Twitter, Instagram, FaceBook blah blah, closest I get to social media is one WhatsApp group chat with close family. Problem was, I still needed/wanted music & audiobooks, maps, a camera (though I could live without), and (grudgingly) WhatsApp (UK here, everyone uses WhatsApp whether I like it or not). I was faced with multiple devices (dumbphone + iPod Touch or equivalent, maybe a camera too), no WhatsApp and no realistic maps solution (iPod Touch would be poor at that, tethered). As such, the “simplification” I wanted was anything but!

Anyway, got a 13 Mini, I think of it has a massively souped up iPod Touch. It’s permanently in low power mode, I use it strictly as tool, and an audio entertainment device only. The camera and Apple Pay are a bonus. Only time battery dips below 40% in a day is when I’ve by necessity had to use maps. I love it! So glad Apple made it, battery degradation aside, will be good for years to come.

*I wanted back to a time pre smartphone, post internet, when I did browse the net, but only when I chose to sit down in front of a computer/iPad for a while in the evening or something ie not every waking moment. It’s great, I’ve completely shook off that “use phone in every quiet moment” and for the last couple of years I’ve been a lot less annoyed at all the madness and infuriating issues that are completely and utterly beyond my control, and feel a lot more serene. I chuckle a little in sympathy when I see almost everyone I know get so agitated at…everything, I want to say to them “there is a solution!” but personally I feel like you have to come to this realisation yourself without being preached to. In the WWDC keynote, Apple stressing the importance of mental health, then proceeding to pimp the Vision Pro made me shake my head tbh. More screens is the LAST thing people need outside of necessary work usage.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I leave it on all the time. A few months ago, my plan would not include 5G, so I had 5G switched off, but now it’s included, so I have it active. I can’t say I notice any difference in battery life, so I’d guess it’s probably there but small.

The connections seem to be better, more stable, I’d say, so I prefer to keep 5G activated.
Prior to my 13 mini being stolen I also had mine on 5G all the time. More to that is the network: does your current network plan actually support 5G or just the carrier? Moreover how often are you roaming within your city - I'd disable that as well, frequent hops to alternative towers is automatic, yet not necessary in a metropolis.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
When I'm out and about in my town 5G is very reliable, however, at home, it's very sporadic and mostly LTE. But I've been leaving it on auto and not noticing any unusual degradation of the battery. At first I was concerned it might be searching a lot but apparently if it is it's not affecting battery life at least in a noticeable way. Appreciate everyone's input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.