Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ljg93

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
hey i downloaded the newest version of xcode available and i really dont like it, anyway i could go back to a older version of xcode? and how?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Follow the un-install instructions. I think that is in a readme file in the pkg you download. Then install the older version which is available on the dev site.

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
does it really matter what version i use of xcode?

It's been a few months since I submitted an app store build but I believe Xcode 3 is no longer supported for app store submission. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

If this is the case, then you generally need the most recent version of the developer tools to submit builds to the app store and you should never submit builds built with beta developer tools.

I've gone back and forth from Xcode 3 and 4, mainly because Xcode 4 seemed to be a bit rushed and buggy on first release; going by changes in 4.1 and 4.2 things seem to be improving and we're all going to have to get used to Xcode 4 eventually as I doubt Xcode 3 will ever be supported for Lion and iOS5 development.

ljg93

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
xcode 4 just seems a lot more complicated and very unnecessary to get familiar with all over again. I hope the older version of xcode will still work.

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
You need to get used to xCode 4 anyways, because the iOS5 will be in Xcode 4.2 and ++ only.
And it's not that hard after all once u know it, i even find it easier (exept it still crashes after some hours, or slows my pc down.)

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
You can install more than one version of Xcode at a time. They just need to go into different folders. There is place in the installer where you can change the location of the install. Look in the AboutXcode.pdf file in your Developer folder for instructions.

I believe that Xcode 3.2.6 is still acceptable for submitting apps to the app store. I'm guessing though that there won't be any more versions of 3.x.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.