Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Drake's latest album made its global streaming debut on Apple Music last night and is now available to buy on iTunes. Priced at $13.99, Views (previously titled Views From The Six) features 20 new tracks, including the slow jam hit "Hotline Bling".

The Canadian rapper's album will be exclusive to Apple Music for one week, after which it will become available on other music streaming services like Spotify.

Drake-Views.jpg

Views is just the latest tactically timed release in an ongoing battle among music streaming services for exclusivity, with Drake forming rank alongside Taylor Swift and Adele in Apple's corner, as the company faces off against competing streaming service Tidal's frontline co-owners Jay Z, Kanye West, Beyonce, and Rihanna.

Last week, Beyoncé's newest album Lemonade launched on Tidal approximately 24 hours before it became available for users to purchase on the likes of iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play, and remains the only service able to stream the album.

Drake and Apple have been in a partnership since the launch of Apple Music last summer, with the artist contributing his own Beats 1 radio show to the streaming service. Drake recently confirmed his partnership with Apple will continue into live music as Apple Music will sponsor his "Summer Sixteen" tour.

Drake's fourth studio album comes one year after If You're Reading This It's Too Late, which also had its debut on iTunes. In August, Quartz reported that Drake was the second most played artist on Apple Music.

Article Link: Drake's New Album 'Views' Now Available Exclusively on iTunes and Apple Music

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
I understand these "exclusive releases" are still kind of fresh for Apple Music, but I'm sure eventually they won't be so newsworthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Shirasaki

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Front page news?? If it was Taylor Swift....sure...

Last edited by a moderator:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I understand these "exclusive releases" are still kind of fresh for Apple Music, but I'm sure eventually they won't be so newsworthy.
It seems interesting, and not just for Apple, how the streaming apps are trying to use the "exclusive release" to lure people to sign up. Kanye tried and failed with Tidal, but bey and others are still at it. My guess is that once things settle down (spotify, pandora and apple already seem to be the ones that will survive) this will go away. I don't see these exclusive wars in books or movies because those sectors are pretty stable. The streaming sector still has some growth and settling to do.

Reactions: darthbane2k

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Excellent, been waiting with baited breath for this. Now I can compare it with the sound of my cat taking a dump whilst being auto-tuned to within an inch of its life. My cat probably still wins tho.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
So they made his music video, are sponsoring his tour, and all they get is a week?

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I'm halfway through the album and I'm not that impressed. 3/4 of the songs so far are just him talking into a mic with some type of voice enhancer/auto tuner. Bummer

Reactions: jmh600cbr

rbonzer

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
Whenever I hear "exclusive" I have to sigh. From what I understand about exclusive, provider A pays content maker B extra money to be exclusive to their service. Provider A has to get that money from somewhere, so they charge more for the service to all their customers. Sometimes it pays off for the service and customers like it, sometimes it doesn't. Either way, it costs all customers more. It works this way with TV too. Think sports. If I want that content I have to subscribe to more providers or services to get it. I just choose not to chase the content and I lose out on some things I'd want. Oh well.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
Beyonce, Drake... I understand... These are the biggest names in music and selling them exclusively is a money maker.

Popular Music today confuses the hell out of me. It's not like when I was younger and the "old people" would complain about my hip-hop and alt-rock. Music today has little-to-no substance. The sounds are fine. The words flow fine. But when you think about the meaning of the song. It's not there. Or it's hidden between gaps of worthless words that are only there for word-play.

I'd like to see Apple invest in promoting independent artists. Beyonce doesn't need an exclusive album or for her name to be promoted to sell records (at least not yet), but there are plenty of good independent artists who deserve a shot. Not saying exclusivity is very good for independents (it's not really good for anyone). Just that Apple never really shows support for independents even though they have a popular platform that can reach millions of potential fans in an instant.

Reactions: Telos101

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Accidently realise this album is already in my iTunes wishlist. Oh, good.
20 AUD. Maybe I need to buy a few more Steam games using this amount of money.
Music itself is not bad, but also not the type can catching my heart and ear in the first time.
However, why on earth almost all songs are "album only"?

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
Yep, they'll be in here soon.

I love when people take time out of their day to voice their displeasure on the internet about music they're not going to listen to. Makes perfect sense.
I'm fighting the internal battle too not tell you how much i hate that guy. And also to not post this, but, how is posting about people that are going to be posting something you don't agree on, any better? (serious paradox to me)

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
Music today has little-to-no substance. The sounds are fine. The words flow fine. But when you think about the meaning of the song. It's not there. Or it's hidden between gaps of worthless words that are only there for word-play.

Not like in the old days when we had real music like "splish splash I was taking a bath", right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.