Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
This thread is just meant to contemplate my future bliss. You are welcomed to participate in my wishful light hearted speculations. :D

I just love the new iMac and would have bought it in a nick of time if it weren't for the fact that I recently bought a powerbook. (No more $$$)

Looking ahead, I might be able to buy a new iMac soon after the Rev.B comes out.

I wonder in which way it'll be better...

- Slightly more RAM off the shelf? (512MB)
- Slightly better graphic card?
- Firewire 800 port? (Or maybe they didn't include it, considering it a pro feature)
- Built-in Bluetooth off the shelf?
- 23" top of the line model?

time will tell.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, the current issues with the fan noise will hopefully be fixed (only on some models now). But one of the biggest complaints I've seen is the video card. If they could come up with a way to make it upgradable, especially since Tiger is going to rely so heavily on the card as well....

I don't think you'd see dual cores in the iMac until they've been available in the PowerMac for at least one generation.

D

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
munkle said:
It'll be sporting Tiger! :D

Yeah! forgot about that. Can't wait for Tiger. Every OS X new version release has been a huge improvement on the preceding version. I'm sure Tiger will rock!

crazzyeddie said:
The iMac G5's came out less than a month ago, and already people are drooling for the updates that are 6-8 months away? Jeeze...

Hmm... to answer your question, yes. Some of us are :p. I was hoping not to get bashed for this thread, hence the intro paragraph. And yes, this thread was aimed at "people-who're-already-drooling-at-updates-that-are-months-away" ;)

Mr. Anderson said:
Well, the current issues with the fan noise will hopefully be fixed

Interesting. I did'nt knew that some models had imperfections. That's to be expected from Rev. A. Yeah. I hope too that this will be fixed in Rev. B

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I agree that the standard configuration should have more memory so that their Mac screams out the box.

My dream machine from Apple would be a build-to-order option that doesn't have any memory. I would rather buy my own for less and higher capacity. I end up throwing out their memory. I am probably a small minority that wants that. It also will cut hundreds of dollars off the price.

The next iMac should have better graphics, more memory, wireless everything, Tiger and iLife '05.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
i wanna see it sporting upgradable GPU as well. either a full AGP or that mini one (can't remember the name). or if they don't give you that, at least use the BEST to begin with.

jestershinra

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
I highly doubt we'll see a 23".

It would capitalize on their CD market, and would be incredibly expensive...
plus, if the computer goes, you've lost a 23", $2000 display.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Memory

Phat_Pat said:
what exactly would that do? That would make the computer unusable......

Memory is one of the easiest things to upgrade. The money you save could give you an extra 512 at least. Apple will charge me $1,200 for 2 GBs of memory for my Powerbook. I bought it with the least amount of memory of 512 (2 - 256 MB) that Apple would sell me. I bought 2 GBs of memory for $500 total. In order to add the memory I bought, I have to basically throw away the memory that came from Apple that was overpriced to begin with. I would have rather used those $300 or so dollars that I spent on Apple memory towards the $500 dollars I spent on my 2 GBs.

Now my PB is even more usable for less money. I have $700 bucks extra that I could use to almost buy another Mac. And my PB may be worth more than I paid for it including the money I spent on the memory.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
BornAgainMac said:
I would have rather used those $300 or so dollars that I spent on Apple memory towards the $500 dollars I spent on my 2 GBs.
I doubt it costs Apple $300 for the RAM. The extra it costs the consumer is for installation and customization. The best thing to do would be to sell the RAM on eBay, but I understand your frustration in not wanting to have to bother and have Apple just sell you a cheaper PowerBook. It wouldn't be $300 cheaper, but it might be a little cheaper. The problem comes when you have people installing el cheapo RAM and having issues. They let you do that anyway, but it would be much worse if they sold, like, a kit. Support cost's would far outweigh the benefit and they'd lose the profit on the memory they add. Plus, if you want to buy more RAM than the standard config, they want you to buy it from them. Resellers want you to buy it from them with their free (minus intallation fee) RAM promos.

Not to mention it's against their whole ideal system. It would be kinda cool for those of us who would want to do it, and know how. I just don't think it will happen.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
BornAgainMac said:
Memory is one of the easiest things to upgrade. The money you save could give you an extra 512 at least. Apple will charge me $1,200 for 2 GBs of memory for my Powerbook. I bought it with the least amount of memory of 512 (2 - 256 MB) that Apple would sell me. I bought 2 GBs of memory for $500 total. In order to add the memory I bought, I have to basically throw away the memory that came from Apple that was overpriced to begin with. I would have rather used those $300 or so dollars that I spent on Apple memory towards the $500 dollars I spent on my 2 GBs.

Now my PB is even more usable for less money. I have $700 bucks extra that I could use to almost buy another Mac. And my PB may be worth more than I paid for it including the money I spent on the memory.

Thanks for explaining that for me :)
:eek:

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
srobert said:
This thread is just meant to contemplate my future bliss. You are welcomed to participate in my wishful light hearted speculations. :D

I just love the new iMac and would have bought it in a nick of time if it weren't for the fact that I recently bought a powerbook. (No more $$$)

Looking ahead, I might be able to buy a new iMac soon after the Rev.B comes out.

I wonder in which way it'll be better...

- Slightly more RAM off the shelf? (512MB)
- Slightly better graphic card?
- Firewire 800 port? (Or maybe they didn't include it, considering it a pro feature)
- Built-in Bluetooth off the shelf?
- 23" top of the line model?

time will tell.
I think some of these should have been included in the rev.A. 512RAM is a must, apple just looses money by not shipping it in there and charging a little more. A better graphics card would be nice, but I think the one they put in there is perfectly fine. 800 is a pro feature, so I didn't expect that. Bluetooth definitly should have been in there, IMHO. 23 is too big.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.