Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
I plugged in a USB3 external drive into the back of my WD Duo (4TB raided) drive (which is USB3 to my iMac Retina).

I kicked off a backup using Carbon Copy cloner.

When I woke up, I got the error message that the destination disappeared.

I should note that I was getting warnings by my mac that the external destination had not been properly dismounted.

Is this because the destination drive isn't plugged directly into my iMac?

Or, is it something in power management?

Note: the destination drive is a bare drive plugged into a USB3 enclosure plugged into the back of my WD DUO.

BTW, I just plugged it into the back of my iMac and kicked off the backup so I guess that will reveal what's going on, but the curiosity is killing me!

Thanks,
Mike

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
If the instructions provided by fisherking wont work and if the drive wont work when directly connected to iMac its possible the problem is in the USB3 drivers, if that is the case I recommend contacting enclosure manufacturer or Apple for support.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
SOLVED! Once I connected the destination drive directly to the iMac, it finally worked as expected! (No warnings for improper shutdown, and the entire 6 hour carbon copy cloner went through to completion without error !!!

Just want to share the solution,
Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.