Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
*obviously they're not illegal to sell, but rather is it illegal to have one mounted and on whilst operating a vehicle?

That is a location specific question so you really need to be asking locally. The police are a good resource for this. There's probably information on a website put up by them about it.

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I have an older car with a rather large well in the center console between the cup holders and the dash. My heavier iPad2 with it's bulky case wedged in there nicely at a 45 degree angle. I now have an IPad Air 2, and it just sits flat on the well and will slide off, so I've been looking for an inexpensive mount. I wouldn't mind spending more if my car was newer, but I will probably only have my car for less than a year.

I use my cup holders, and they are really too far back on the console anyway, I don't want a windshield or top of dash mount, too high up and I'd rather not advertise my large screen. A CD mount would work, but if possible I'd prefer not to block so much of my dash, and it would still be a little higher up than I would like.

I've looked at the Ram mount and similar solutions, which would be perfect, except for the cost. Again, I won't have my car long enough to justify the expense.

I am going to try a clip-on desk type mount, and clip it to the passenger side of the well. My only concern is whether the clip will be secure enough. I found one on Amazon for under $20, so I'm going to try it.
-------------------------------

I drive around for work, and use my iPad for GPS. When my car is parked, I check my email, input work info, and input my next location. When I'm driving, it talks to me and I don't have to look at it. If some direction doesn't feel right, I pull over and deal with it. I also don't answer my phone or make calls when I'm driving, so I never bothered with a bluetooth phone solution (again, older car.) I know that doesn't work for everyone, but I don't get or make a lot of calls, and none that can't wait ten minutes. I do enjoy the solitude and concentrating on my driving. It can be done safely, and I think a good talking GPS helps. I don't think so much about where I'm going, I just follow directions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.