Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Is it safe to say this is the most obsessed we've ever been with a media event? Between this and early 5th Avenue campers, Apple is dropping a bomb on Tuesday and I for one am about to explode from excitement. :D

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Depends on if he had automated flight path capabilities. Push button, fly to X coordinates type of controls.

Nearly all of these "drone" videos are RC aircraft videos and not drones at all.

But if you don't know what it is, it's a drone I suppose. :rolleyes: I'm no fan of the mislabeling because many people are getting angry about real drones and it is spilling over into regulating my RC Aircraft hobby. :mad:

I own both a DJI Phantom, and a Blade 350qx, and know the mechanics of them, I was more or less expressing the same complaint you just voiced.

I wouldn't personally call this a drone, (it was filmed with a DJI), The tool used was just a Gimbal equipped Quad copter.

Looks waaay to smooth to be a copter.

A quad copter featuring an attached brushless gimbal can produce near cinema quality levels of smoothness and stability.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Weird. I'm not sure it's a performance stage, as it doesn't leave much room for an audience, and it's not expected to be a music-dominated announcement.

If Apple do launch some kind of wearables, I'd guess something more fashion-oriented? Maybe, as someone suggested above, it's more of a catwalk for photo opportunities?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
There's only room on the Flint front walk or behind the sunken sculpture for a few hundred people. Not enough audience size to interest U2 live.

Now for a staged fashion show, they could easily seat hundreds of VIPs and photographers inside that white box, then stream video inside Flint for the rest.

But where are the sci-fi stories about this white box containing the monolith, with the iBand/Watch being a handcuff so addictive that the aliens can control the minds of the elite of humanity? Only the ones who strictly use just mechanical timepieces and tube amplifiers will escape the trap!

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I own both a DJI Phantom, and a Blade 350qx, and know the mechanics of them, I was more or less expressing the same complaint you just voiced.

I wouldn't personally call this a drone, (it was filmed with a DJI), The tool used was just a Gimbal equipped Quad copter.

A quad copter featuring an attached brushless gimbal can produce near cinema quality levels of smoothness and stability.
I own a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+.

I call it a drone. Or a quad copter. As you probably know, it does now have the capability of flying a preset path. So if the ability to fly a programmed path is your criteria, it qualifies. Another reason it qualifies is that it automatically maintains its position when I let go of the controls. That ability is on the flying machine itself. If the wind blows it off course, it will fly itself back to where it is supposed to be. Autonomously! Even when you're telling it where to go with your remote control, it's making a lot of the decisions of how to fight the wind and follow your instructions.

There are likely to be more updates to the firmware in the future that will allow it to do even more without a human at the stick. So it's best not to get too hung up on whether it qualifies as a drone, or whether it is "just" a lowly quadcopter.

Looking at the video, this is probably not the Phantom 2 with a gimbal and a Go Pro, nor is it the Phantom 2 Vision+. Possibly it's the Phantom 2 Vision, which doesn't have a gimbal to stabilize the video.

sailmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Is anyone besides me wondering precisely how and when the white cover will be pulled off of the structure?

Seems to me Apple won't be doing it during the presentation, but doing it sooner may reveal clues that take away some of the overall surprise they hope to generate.

And depending on how the white cover is rigged, it may take heavy equipment to remove it. Would have to be done before guests begin standing in line at the FC entrance.

Maybe that's part of Apple's media strategy; unveil the structure overnight and give the press something more to speculate/buzz about in the morning just before the show.

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
It's a new White House, for the Six Californias.

All we need is Nic Cage, coming to steal the iDeclaration of iNdependence

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
In all seriousness, breaking their own "fourth wall" and having an interactive experience, like a post keynote "tour" involving the press and attendees would be a fantastic thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.