Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acertomacbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2023
I'm thinking of dropping some big dough on a 30C M2 max 16' MBP : 3800 bucks + free airpods pro That's a lot me as a new grad I have a crappy i7 11 16gb windows laptop connected to a 32' 4k monitor, but the laptop which has very bad cooling , over heats and has a black screen so I've opened it and placed a mini fan on top of it, now it works without shutting down I work remotely so I don't carry it any where but I have some 3 offsites in the next couple of months, so I thought this is the right time to upgrade to a macbook My first choice was 14 MBP 1TB but since I've 100s if chrome tabs open that will work, Then I thought about 32gb and now 16 M2 Max MBP Then I read this article https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...res-cpu-gpu-and-ram-increase-details-lhngxmx4 and now I'm more confused about the choice and currently thinking about the 13' base m2 air which is 1300 + airpods pro which I will use for 12months or 18months when I'm travelling and also use my old laptop.

PS: I'm Libra and indecisive
and I've been thinking of buying for 1yr.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Sounds like u don’t need all the power when u are considering the Air.
The M3 will be faster and more efficient but might be 6months away.

I recommend a m1 pro from apples refurbished store for a decent discount. Somtimes Amazon or others have them new for the same price.

I guess in your use case u don’t feel the difference and safe about $1000

Reactions: Basic75

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I've 100s if chrome tabs open that will work

It's not the number of tabs that are open that is critical to memory use, it is the size of the tabs. They can range from kilobytes to many gigabytes, depending on the website.

You didn't mention how you are going to use the system. Just general web, mail browsing or more intensive applications such as making videos?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.