Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Gee, I wonder if that's because no-one can actually afford it, develop real apps for it, and it runs on AT&T's turtle-slow data network?

The idea of no one being able to afford it is bogus. In this country, being able to afford what one buys is not even a concept. It's a memory, maybe. What we own is our plastic, everything else is potentially a repo item but we don't usually spend a lot of time thinking about that; we are too busy watching the ads to figure out what we want to go in hock for next.

Hey when I redid my budgets most recently, I realized that I was paying a cableco $50 a month to watch like 30 hours of mostly news on mostly one channel, with occasional forays into reruns of Law'n'Order etc. Solution: cancel the cable, download the TV shows, watch the news on podcasts. Plus listen to NPR in the morning and read the papers online the same as always. I came out ahead of the game until iTunes started selling feature length movies... if you notice, a lot of what I mentioned there can be done from an iPhone hooked up to nothing more exotic than my own DSL via WiFi.

The iPhone apps will show up. The hardware, firmware and original software are all still practically wet behind the ears, what do you want from an infant? Give it six months. This is such an elegant device with so much potential. I have never seen anything else that spells "forward-looking" so clearly. No new hardware keys will be required for apps that may need special "keys" or "buttons" on their "keyboard". Right there is the thrill of the iPhone. it has been built, and the apps will come!

What, you don't think Apple has or has had some more apps that they messed around with while they developed this thing? It may feel like an overabundance of caution to limit third-party apps to running in a Safari sandbox for right now, but it makes a lot of sense to control what rolls out at product launch time.

The EDGE thing is a real enough concern, but apparently more or less so depending on where you are when you try to use it. I don't really care. I live in a dead zone so I use the phone's net capabilities from my house on WiFi, and when I'm out and about, I'm willing to stick to just making phone calls with it. The one time I tried surfing online newspapers from a place with a decent ATT signal, the response time was pretty good. It was at the edge of a little village in a largely rural area near interstate 88. If I got a signal that good in my backyard, I'd think I had arrived in heaven. I was excited when I heard that ATT was going to scarf up Dobson's Cell One. Maybe that backyard signal will not always be just a daydream!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
My Martian friend says Apple is having big problems with their iPhone customers on Alpha Centuri.

That's totally their fault. you can't possibly expect to sell a phone anywhere else in the galaxy without a proper babelfish, even if it does drain the battery a bit more.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
That's totally their fault. you can't possibly expect to sell a phone anywhere else in the galaxy without a proper babelfish, even if it does drain the battery a bit more.

That's what I tried to tell him, but once the rumor got out, AAPL took a big hit anyway.

Fairly

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2006
Cambridge UK
That's what I tried to tell him, but once the rumor got out, AAPL took a big hit anyway.
Took a big hit where? I didn't know Alpha Centauri had an incorporated stock exchange yet. Thankfully they don't have TheStreet. That reporter they have is such a tool. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.