Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shawsinio

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2006
UK
what is the .DS_Store file that is on my desktop and in many of my folders?

can i move it, i have tried dragging it to a different folder, but it just pops up again, and it makes my desktop look all untidy!

please help

thanks

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
First, you shouldn't be seeing .DS_Store files unless you've enabled viewing hidden files.

.DS_Store files contain metadata with information on the folder they're located in. It stores info on things like how big the window should be, what view settings should be used, icon positions, etc.

If no file is present, the folder will just use system defaults. But as soon as you change something, you'll generate a new .DS_Store file. They're a good thing...learn to like them. :D

shawsinio

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2006
UK
WildCowboy said:
First, you shouldn't be seeing .DS_Store files unless you've enabled viewing hidden files.

.DS_Store files contain metadata with information on the folder they're located in. It stores info on things like how big the window should be, what view settings should be used, icon positions, etc.

If no file is present, the folder will just use system defaults. But as soon as you change something, you'll generate a new .DS_Store file. They're a good thing...learn to like them. :D

so how do i select not to see hidden files so that i cant see it? or is this not a good idea?

thanks for you fast reply WildCowboy!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
shawsinio said:
so how do i select not to see hidden files so that i cant see it? or is this not a good idea?

It's actually somewhat curious that you have hidden file viewing enabled without your knowledge...it's not a simple/obvious change to make and it's not enabled by default. The vast majority people have absolutely no need to have hidden files visible.

There are a couple of ways to do this. One involves using Terminal...type the following:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

Another option is to download a program like TinkerTool and use the options in there (there's a checkbox in the "Finder" pane) to set things appropriately.

shawsinio

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2006
UK
i downloaded tinkertool, and did it that way, thanks for your help, its amazing how the little things can get so annoying!

thanks again

wkrm

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2006
Probably the easiest way to hide this files, in my opinion, is in your Ultilities there is an application called Onyx. After you start up Onyx you will have to enter an admin user account password. Click "Appearence" then there should be a checkbox next to "Show hidden files and folders." By clicking this so it is off should slove your problem.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
OnyX is not a default OS X app...you'd have to download it. But yes, it would also do the trick.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
Another option is to download a program like [URL="http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool.html" said:
TinkerTool[/URL] and use the options in there (there's a checkbox in the "Finder" pane) to set things appropriately.

I found an option not to create it. I never saw this problem until today when I trashed it unsuccessfully then Googled this thread - what am I giving up by not creating it?

QueryDawg

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
This thread is pretty old but I didn't see an answer so perhaps this will help someone. It sounds like you have your hidden files turned on. You can turn this off by doing the following:

1. Open up Terminal: /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
  2. Enter the following command: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false
  3. [Apple] > Force Quit > [Click Finder] > Relaunch

That "should" do it.

Arcody

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
This thread is pretty old but I didn't see an answer so perhaps this will help someone. It sounds like you have your hidden files turned on. You can turn this off by doing the following:

2. Enter the following command: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false

That "should" do it.

And so it has.
Thanks and Cheers.
Russell

ktotheat

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2014

That "should" do it.

This worked for me as well. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.