.DS_Store on desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shawsinio, Jul 5, 2006.

1. shawsinio macrumors regular

what is the .DS_Store file that is on my desktop and in many of my folders?

can i move it, i have tried dragging it to a different folder, but it just pops up again, and it makes my desktop look all untidy!

please help

thanks

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

First, you shouldn't be seeing .DS_Store files unless you've enabled viewing hidden files.

.DS_Store files contain metadata with information on the folder they're located in. It stores info on things like how big the window should be, what view settings should be used, icon positions, etc.

If no file is present, the folder will just use system defaults. But as soon as you change something, you'll generate a new .DS_Store file. They're a good thing...learn to like them. :D

3. shawsinio thread starter macrumors regular

so how do i select not to see hidden files so that i cant see it? or is this not a good idea?

thanks for you fast reply WildCowboy!

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's actually somewhat curious that you have hidden file viewing enabled without your knowledge...it's not a simple/obvious change to make and it's not enabled by default. The vast majority people have absolutely no need to have hidden files visible.

There are a couple of ways to do this. One involves using Terminal...type the following:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder
    Another option is to download a program like TinkerTool and use the options in there (there's a checkbox in the "Finder" pane) to set things appropriately.

5. shawsinio thread starter macrumors regular

i downloaded tinkertool, and did it that way, thanks for your help, its amazing how the little things can get so annoying!

thanks again

6. wkrm macrumors newbie

Probably the easiest way to hide this files, in my opinion, is in your Ultilities there is an application called Onyx. After you start up Onyx you will have to enter an admin user account password. Click "Appearence" then there should be a checkbox next to "Show hidden files and folders." By clicking this so it is off should slove your problem.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

OnyX is not a default OS X app...you'd have to download it. But yes, it would also do the trick.

8. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I found an option not to create it. I never saw this problem until today when I trashed it unsuccessfully then Googled this thread - what am I giving up by not creating it?

9. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

Nope, that didn't work, it's still being re-created.

10. QueryDawg macrumors newbie

This thread is pretty old but I didn't see an answer so perhaps this will help someone. It sounds like you have your hidden files turned on. You can turn this off by doing the following:

1. Open up Terminal: /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
    2. Enter the following command: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false
    3. [Apple] > Force Quit > [Click Finder] > Relaunch

That "should" do it.

11. Arcody macrumors newbie

And so it has.
    Thanks and Cheers.
    Russell

12. ktotheat macrumors newbie

This worked for me as well. Thank you!

13. ansisl macrumors newbie