Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Just got a dual 2.3 GHz G5 from a friend who had it in his basement. I got it home, booted it up, and everything works. However, I'd like to take it apart, give it a thorough cleaning, and put new thermal paste on the CPUs and Northbridge. I've googled but haven't found any specific instructions.

I've built PCs, so I have no worries about working on machines, but is there anything particular to the 2.3 G5s I should be aware of?

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
Look for an "Apple service manual" about your G5 online (Google, Archive.org, etc.) and you will have yourself a nice read since these manuals cover almost anything related to the machine including disassembly and troubleshooting. If you can, replace at least the thermal paste and clean the machine inside because G5s accumulate tons of dust over the years. Also make sure you have the right tools (especially a 3mm and 4mm Allen key).

Reactions: dpny and Vaccaria

Vaccaria

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2020
When the Cpu coolers are removed/repositioned a safetymechanical kicks in:
all fans inside the Tower start to run at 100%. Therefore to get the normal fan behavior back you should recalibrate your fans after you are done.

bkmoore773

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2022
Just got a dual 2.3 GHz G5 from a friend who had it in his basement. I got it home, booted it up, and everything works. However, I'd like to take it apart, give it a thorough cleaning, and put new thermal paste on the CPUs and Northbridge. I've googled but haven't found any specific instructions.

I've built PCs, so I have no worries about working on machines, but is there anything particular to the 2.3 G5s I should be aware of?
Cleaned up, and calibrated, it is a fantastic machine. Get the service manual. It's pretty easy to disassemble. Take the power supply out and clean all the dust bunnies out. Clean all the fans. Replace all the thermal paste, there are two chips on the mother board, CPU, and GPU. Download the Apple Service Diagnostic DVD, and run thermal calibration. Once that is done, you'll have an awesome machine that is very quiet, reliable and fast. Find a 30" Cinema Display and a set of Sound Sticks (I had both already). I posted a photo of my setup on the Show your PowerPC thread.

Imho, you got the best G5 ever made. Yes there are faster ones, but the difference isn't noticeable for normal computing and gaming. This machine runs so quietly and is just so reliable. Subjectively it is faster than both my early Intel- iMacs.

dpny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
An update: opened it up, cleaned it out, applied new thermal paste and it works like a charm. An older, slower, charm, but still so much better than being stripped for parts or tossed into a landfill. The only real issue I'm running into is incredibly slow network speeds. Don't know if the old Airport card plays well with my router.

Speeds are so slow trying to upload this screenshot kept timing out and I had to do it with my MBP.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    2 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
This is the setup I’m using in my 2.3 dual core. It’s fast! I know there is a thread here that talks about this. When I went on eBay to find the parts this premade on was offered for sale so I purchased it.

Reactions: dpny

dpny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
This is the setup I’m using in my 2.3 dual core. It’s fast! I know there is a thread here that talks about this. When I went on eBay to find the parts this premade on was offered for sale so I purchased it.
That says it's PCI-E. It works in a dual 2.5 G5?

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.