Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robcts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
I'll be getting a PowerMac later in the year and am thinking about what I want to do for monitor setups. I have a Samsung 213T right now but it's about a year old and I wanted to get a widescreen ;)

I'm thinking about either getting dual 20" ACD or dual 2005FPW's. Or I am thinking about getting just a single 23" ACD or a 2405FPW.

Any opinions on which route to go? I will be using the display(s) for mostly web browsing, photoshop, e-mail and some multitasking activities. I will not be playing any games on them at all.

Once I do decide on whether or not to go with dual 20"'s or a single 23" or 24", I'll then have to choose between Dell and Apple. I know the Apple looks better in every way (IMO), but the Dell 2005FPW can be had for $400 when the deals are going versus Apple's $799. The 2405FPW can be had in the $900's when deals are going versus $1,499. Quite a big price difference. Are the Apple's really that much better? I know the 20"'s utilize the same screen.

:confused:

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I'd go with a single 2405FPW and keep your old monitor. Two 2005FPW's side by side would involve way too much head turning (bad for your neck). Also its a lot nicer to watch a movie on one big screen than on one of two smaller ones.

EDIT: Wouldn't touch the apple monitors unless you REALLY like the way the look and don't mind paying that much money for essentially the same monitor.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
TBi said:
I'd go with a single 2405FPW and keep your old monitor. Two 2005FPW's side by side would involve way too much head turning (bad for your neck). Also its a lot nicer to watch a movie on one big screen than on one of two smaller ones.

EDIT: Wouldn't touch the apple monitors unless you REALLY like the way the look and don't mind paying that much money for essentially the same monitor.
I agree w/ TBi. A lot of people really love having dual monitors... I don't think I'd like it. My head already feels like it's going to implode when I see the 30" ACD, I can't even begin to imagine trying to use dual displays! :eek:

Also, I do think the ACDs are gorgeous, but you definitely pay for the privilege of having a more 'beautiful' display. Sigh. Money money money.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Personally, I really like having two displays. I am absolutely sure that, if given the opportunity to decide again, I'd still pick two 20"s over the one 23" (or 24"). I say so because I LOVE having the dedicated space on one monitor for all the applications I want to have open all the time, but aren't necessarily the primary focus of what I'm doing. On one monitor, I've got iTunes, Mail, Adium, pearLyrics, and a Finder window open at all times. On the other, I have room to get whatever else done (website, surfing, photo manipulation, etc.), without having to hide any windows or have windows overlapping.

I love the dual display!

captainwinky

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2005
robcts said:
I'm thinking about either getting dual 20" ACD or dual 2005FPW's. Or I am thinking about getting just a single 23" ACD or a 2405FPW.

I have 2 2005FPWs, although not on the same machine. I have set the side-by-side and let me tell you, that is t o o w i d e. you have to turn your head so much that you can't actually see stuff happening on the end of one screen when you're looking at the other one. its a little excessive. i have considered doing an over-under setup using pole mounts, but i haven't felt the need to invest in that without trying it out first.

if you go with the dual monitors, go with the normal aspect monitors.

now let me tell you why i'm going to sell my 2 2005s and get a 2405: i plan on getting a powerbook whenever they get updated (Oct 11th is my prediction). since it can't drive 2 monitors at once, i'm looking to get a single big monitor. thats it! pretty simple, huh?

though its hard to deny the pixel count difference between 2 2005s and a single 2405 (352,800 vs 230,400). dag... maybe i'll just keep 1 2005 and sell the other so i can actually afford the new PB. decisions...

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I used an ACD 23 on one system and Apple LCD 15 on the other.

I used to have a 17 with that 15, on the same computer. Take it from me, get the smallest bezel (screen edge) that you can and place them at a slight angle, especialy if they are larger. After a certian size, its not ergonomic to have large screen size. If you have to turn your head a lot, its like using a mouse too much.... owee!

Dual screens is great if you are a multitasker, always switching between programs, etc. Not so great, if you like gaming, since you end up back on one display. And also, your video card has to work harder to run both heads at once... so if its a subpar card, it will start to show.

My 2 cents.

$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.