Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Hi

I am starting to do lots of video editing with Final Cut Express but I find it IMPOSSIBLE to get any work done with my old 17-inch CTR. Should I get two ViewSonic E70FB / 17-Inch / 1280 x 1024 / Black / CRT Monitors or is it worth it to spend the extra cash and get the Dell 2005FPW that edesignuk is raving about. If I get the Dell I could take it with me to college late next year and use it with my PowerBook that I plan to get when I go off to college.

I have lots of room for the CTRs, but I’m not sure if Dual monitors would be as nice as a good wide display.

Your thoughts?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
----Bowie---- said:
Hi
I am starting to do lots of video editing with Final Cut Express but I find it IMPOSSIBLE to get any work done with my old 17-inch CTR. Should I get two ViewSonic E70FB / 17-Inch / 1280 x 1024 / Black / CRT Monitors or is it worth it to spend the extra cash and get the Dell 2005FPW that edesignuk is raving about. If I get the Dell I could take it with me to college late next year and use it with my PowerBook that I plan to get when I go off to college.
I have lots of room for the CTRs, but I’m not sure if Dual monitors would be as nice as a good wide display.
Your thoughts?
Couple of things:
The Dell (and any LCD) is going to display some degree of pixel smearing when displaying motion video.. Some LCDs are worse than others. CRTs currently are better than LCDs for video and gaming because of this.

The Viewsonic CRTs advertised are at the bottom end of the range - the are the "E" (Economy) models rather than the "G" (Graphics) or "P" (Professional) models.

Potential problem when putting two CRTs side by side is magnetic interference between the two if they are not adequately shielded. This results in distorted colours and picture. No good way to tell if this will happen without trying it.

Why don't you split the difference, continue using your existing CRT, and add a 17" or 19" or the Dell 20" LCD? You can use the LCD for text, pallettes, etc, and use the CRT for the video windows. Then when you go, you take the LCD with you and leave the CRT behind, rather than abandoning two new CRTs.

Remember that shipping on two CRTs at 40 lbs each is going to be expensive.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
CanadaRAM said:
Couple of things:
The Dell (and any LCD) is going to display some degree of pixel smearing when displaying motion video.. Some LCDs are worse than others. CRTs currently are better than LCDs for video and gaming because of this.

The Dell LCD has a 12ms response time, which is incredible for an LCD. I really don't think that it would be a problem. I think that you should go with the LCD, when you get to college there is no way that you will have room for two CRT monitors and a powerbook, if your dorm is anything like mine. Also, you would only be able to use 1 crt with your powerbook, so why not just use one nice lcd with it. Also, when you buy that xbox that every college student needs, you can hook it up to the dell ;)

Also, you probably know this, but you can find the 20" widescreen for 487 shipped, like I did last week

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
debroglie said:
The Dell LCD has a 12ms response time, which is incredible for an LCD.
Well, there's advertised response time and then there is real-world performance. I'll hold off judging until my Dell gets here. But some companies are coming out with advertised 8 ms LCD panels. Early reviews are... lousy for video.

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
CanadaRAM said:
Well, there's advertised response time and then there is real-world performance. I'll hold off judging until my Dell gets here. But some companies are coming out with advertised 8 ms LCD panels. Early reviews are... lousy for video.

That is very true. My Dell should arrive sometime tomorrow, so I can give you a real-world answer tomorrow. I have a samsung lcd that advertises 15ms, and I believe it, it is great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.