Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evanmarx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2001
Switzerland
heyall ...

so finally got my 2xGhz up and running and it's fast and springy and beautiful ... the only thing that is bothering me, it's that it's NOISY as hell ...

does anyone know if there's a piece of software that allows me to control the internal cooling fans? like an advanced energy control panel ... i mean if the fans are at all accessed by the system ... don't get me wrong ... i dont' want to turn them off altogether ... just now and then would be a blessing
thx

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Are we talking PC noisy or background humm. Some pc's sound like a truck is going past! I am asking because I am waiting for my 1Ghz DP machine.

evanmarx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2001
Switzerland
Originally posted by Falleron
Are we talking PC noisy or background humm. Some pc's sound like a truck is going past! I am asking because I am waiting for my 1Ghz DP machine.

Mac Noisy! that is ... da fan ... the humm parks itself at an annoying mid frequence ... hmm... well waht the heck .... i will be playing the radio allthetime then ...:eek:

-=AsukA=-

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2002
leave the tower open (or remove the fans and put only heat sinks)

Your best bet is to probably leave your tower open! where in your house is the G4 located? if you basement is cold put it in there! make sure its not in direct sunlight.....( sorry to be stating the obviouse, im sure you know what your doing) :rolleyes:

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
uhh... you wouldnt want to put your mac in a cold room and leave the case open, that could **** it up completely, just like how you dont run a car when its -20 outside, you dont start a processor thats frigging cold and all of a sudden bring it up to 45degrees. if you do keep it in a cold room, you have to let it warm up for like 15 minutes, or leave it on all the time

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Excellent article. I have also seen one from the same site that details adding foam to where the main fan connects to the case. That can reduce the vibration noises associated with fans.

The voltage regulator is a great idea, just be careful about your cpu temperature though. You don't want it to overheat and case damage. Gauge Pro should give you a good idea about the processor's temperature, and allow you to adjust the fan speed according to that.

I would also recommend picking up replacement fans from CoolerMaster. They are high quality, and quiet fans. You could even get a voltage regulator to go on those, that ties between the power supply and the fan (no soldering required).

With a little research, it is amazing what you can find to make the computer quieter. Maybe even invest into some water cooling gear. If you are real brave, you could do the water cooling and have the heat exchanger outside the computer. Just remember to keep the room temp low enough during the summer (75¡ or less is best) and it should be sweet. If you do go for that option, I would love to see pictures of the rig.

Smoot

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2002
I just had a Dual 1 Ghtz in my house for 2 days and it is not any more noisy than my imac rev a or G4 450. Stop complaining you have GHTZ!!!!!

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
Complaining

He should have the right to complain. So Apple can make a better products.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
If you want to lower the rpm then i think you can get little voltage adjusters for your fans.I think it can be attacthed to the fan cable. Alot of overclockers use them, and i think this might reduce the noise of their fans.

you might find some at http://www.overclockers.co.uk or http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk
I havent looked.

Or if you have some sort of computer fair locally then you might find one in there.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
this might be stupid, but...

the fan isnt resonating with the desk is it?
If it was on like, a towel would it be quieter?

RAMS

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Depending on how good your desk is, it is possible that the vibrations are being created by the interaction of your computer and the desk surface. If that proves to be the case, you might want to pick up some industrial grade rubber and put it under the feet (of the case). I know that Granger has it (I bought a 12"x12" square a few years back for not a lot of $$). Just cut it and use it where needed. I don't think a towel will provide enough sound insulation for what you are looking to do. It might provide some, but who wants to have a towel under their computer??? I would also be concerned about it tipping over if you have it more then a single thickness.

Check your local Home Depot, or other industrial supplier if you don't have a Granger located near you. They all deal with people off the street, so you don't have to set up an account, even though it doesn't usually cost anything to do so. Most people don't need that.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
HEY ALL YOU!!!!!!!

Two things...

1. DO NEVER BUY THE FIRST PRODUCTION OF ANYTHING UNTIL THE FIRST REVISION!!!!!!!

How many times do you need to hear that? Every time a new computer with a big change comes out WILL ALWAYS comes with details. That is a topic that have been discussed for the last 10 years in electronics, cars, airplanes, etc. and should be remembered very well by now.

Whait for the first new iMac comes out and you will see the problems.

Even OSX had problems and XP too.

The TiBook have heating problems, the head runs to the speakers and will surely melt them after a while... that is one example.

2. The internal fan is pluged directly to the power supply, just use common sense: Why the fan should be connected to the mother board? Have you seen any control panel in the last 10 years to control that? of course not. The only way to reduce noise is to place the computer in an isolated place or whait for the revision before buying one.

Zarbs

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2002
Beware of voltage changes to the fan...

The Dual GHz G4's have an intelligent fan which changes its speed given the temp of the internals. So, it does speed changes automatically. Adding a voltage regulator to the fan circuit could interfere with this circuitry and cause damage. It will also void the warranty should damage occur. My GHzDP is running quietly for me and I am used to having a Cube on my desk (yes I still have the Cube).

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Aren't these new G4's revision B of the quicksilvers? If you are going to wait for a rev. b for the dual 1ghz model, then you'd better be prepared to wait a while. These aren't really new machines (unless they did change the motherboards), but are rather the same ol' dual 800 powermac with faster processors.

As for fans, i have no problem with them. My setup at home has at least 10 fans in it (combining the computer, monitor, cd burner, laser printer, and every other major heat making device). Little noises like that don't bother me much, and when they do, i'll just put on some music .

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: HEY ALL YOU!!!!!!!

Originally posted by mymemory
Two things...

1. DO NEVER BUY THE FIRST PRODUCTION OF ANYTHING UNTIL THE FIRST REVISION!!!!!!!

How many times do you need to hear that? Every time a new computer with a big change comes out WILL ALWAYS comes with details. That is a topic that have been discussed for the last 10 years in electronics, cars, airplanes, etc. and should be remembered very well by now.

Whait for the first new iMac comes out and you will see the problems.

Even OSX had problems and XP too.

The TiBook have heating problems, the head runs to the speakers and will surely melt them after a while... that is one example.

2. The internal fan is pluged directly to the power supply, just use common sense: Why the fan should be connected to the mother board? Have you seen any control panel in the last 10 years to control that? of course not. The only way to reduce noise is to place the computer in an isolated place or whait for the revision before buying one.

That's fine, but the DP1GHz isn't the first G4, it's most likely the last one. You can't wait any longer than that.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
2 1GHz are a bit more heat than usual plus all the ram and the HD added from the factory. These machines are loaded like never before. They may require some structural changes.

Sometimes the revisions are not that big. May be another fan or some minor change that doesn't really need to be comented but would impruve something. It has happened before.

slipjack

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2002
Re: Re: HEY ALL YOU!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Catfish_Man

That's fine, but the DP1GHz isn't the first G4, it's most likely the last one. You can't wait any longer than that.

Actually, heat dispensation should be better because the new Apollo systems use less energy than the 7400's...

evanmarx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2001
Switzerland
Re: Zarbs

Originally posted by MaxRool
Zarbs, are you interested in selling your cube?

yep, that's what i'm actually after ... but as a nice server machine in our office ...

as it was me who stomped this thread off ... my machine is still on the noisy side .. thanks for all the tips ...

i just did something on the psychoacoustic level ... the powerswitch that powers my quicksilver now also powers my radio on boot up ... so as long as the volume is cracked up enough, i don't hear the fans! great, no?

evanmarx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2001
Switzerland
Originally posted by OSeXy!
The Apollo 1GHz G4s might produce less heat... But what about the graphics card? Bet it cooks eggs...

apparently NOT ... because it (geforce4MX) does NOT even have a fan! yes!!

blindman858

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2001
Stop Whining

Lol yall wanted faster cpu upgrades. SO you have them now. I think u can bare a little bit of fan noise. It just goes to show how powerful the machine is. PC's are not much quieter either. but i am sure apple will do something to reduce the noise. I am guessing liquid cooling, or a huge heat sync. But either way be happy with what it is :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.