Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I was really really sick of this guy so I was glad to hear this, though I don't like people to be out of a job.......

Dell Computer Corp.'s sales of personal computers have soared since the advent of the fictional pitchman "Steven," known for his catchphrase, "Dude, you're getting a Dell!"

But perhaps fearful of a backlash against the ubiquitous Steven, who playfully harangues friends and strangers into buying a Dell PC, the company said on Monday it is moving on to a new, less dude-centric advertising campaign.

"We're trying to look at some alternatives," said Dell spokesman Bob Kaufman, who said the company is currently airing ads that feature a group of eager interns. "We test ran some of the interns spots during the summer and got some positive reactions."

Kaufman declined to say if the "Steven" campaign was merely on hiatus, or gone for good.

In two years, Steven, played by 21-year-old New York University acting student Ben Curtis, has become a cult advertising figure not seen since the likes of Joe Izuzu and Clara Peller of Wendy's "Where's the beef?" fame. Inundated by calls from adoring fans, Dell set up a Web site (http://www.dell4me.com/dude) and even offered a line of "Dell Dude" apparel.

The campaign was originally created in 2000 by Dell's then-ad agency Lowe, a unit of Interpublic Group of Cos. Inc. . When Dell switched to Omnicom Group's DDB agency in April, 2001, Steven went along for the ride.

If Steven is on the way out, nobody seems to have told "DellDudeSteven", an automated chat program set up by Dell to run on America Online's Instant Messenger.

When asked on Monday, "Dude, I heard you're getting fired!" the program responded, "I haven't."

Reuters/Variety http://channels.netscape.com/ns/new...0002/20021014/183285502.htm&sc=reuvf&s=0&n=25

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
I heard about this on NPR this morning. As others have noted, he'd make a great switcher for Apple. I'm sure there's something in his contract that would prevent it. Apple's lawyers should get to cracking his contract.:p

Not that I like the guy's ads, but just for the midle finger salute aspect of it.

cheers!

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Originally posted by Chisholm
I heard about this on NPR this morning. As others have noted, he'd make a great switcher for Apple. I'm sure there's something in his contract that would prevent it. Apple's lawyers should get to cracking his contract.:p

Not that I like the guy's ads, but just for the midle finger salute aspect of it.

cheers!

ahaha... yes!

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
i love the commercials for gateway

"dude, you're stil getting a dell??"

this after seeing new specs for a gateway desktop. that guy curtis will never have a serious acting job for the rest of his life, thaty is what you call ones 1st big break....in a major part of your body.

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
the message board sux, i mean the format. lol. a quote box is usually not that large, and i am used to longer sig message boards. r u coercing me into truncating the sig? :p

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
This call for the really happy banana dance...

bananajoy.gif

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by Sun Baked
This call for the really happy banana dance...

bananajoy.gif

Now that's disturbing. :D

But that Dell guy is SOOOOO annoying. He typifies the kind of people that WOULD buy a Dell. I'm just glad to be rid of him. His verbal pollution will not be missed. :p

dotcomlarry

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Akron, PA
The Dell Dude is still featured (altho not as prominently as his other commercials) in the "Dell Interns: Day 5" commercial, right at the end, when a UPS (?) guy delivers a Dell to a house. Who's at the door? Steven and his (supposed) little brother!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.