1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Duke Nukem 3D Now Available in App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 11, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Duke Nukem 3D for the iPhone has just made its debut in the App Store. This version of the popular first person shooter game first appeared in 1996 for the PC, with subsequent ports to other platforms along with multiple expansion packs and add-ons made available in the years since.

[​IMG]

TouchArcade has taken a first look at the app, noting that it "appears to be a rather full implementation of the PC original" though there are some on-screen analog control issues that hamper gameplay. According to a post in the TouchArcade forums by George Broussard, who co-authored the original game, these issues will be reviewed and addressed in an update.

Duke Nukem 3D (link opens iTunes) became available in the App Store yesterday evening and currently has an introductory price of $2.99.

Article Link: Duke Nukem 3D Now Available in App Store

2. macrumors member

I remember finding a demo of this on a MacAddict CD and playing it through repeatedly. Then I tried to rent the N64 version and my mother wouldn't let me, favoring the more child-friendly Banjo Kazooie.

3. macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I used to play this game all the time. I wonder if the strippers with tassels made it to the iPhone port. :D

I'm debating on buying this during my lunch break...

4. macrumors 6502

I would buy it if it has the cheat codes like Wolfenstein 3d on the iPhone did... I'm not good enough at FPSs to play most of them without it.

5. macrumors 6502

Meh, I'll pass on this. I'm waiting for Duke Nukem forever. :D

6. macrumors P6

-aggie-

The strippers are gone according to a poster yesterday. This was posted to the App Store thread yesterday, FYI.

7. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

DO. NOT. BUY.

until the controls are fixed.

8. macrumors P6

-aggie-

The poster who posted in the app store said they just took time to get used to. No?

9. macrumors member

He's right the control are horrible don't buy it now wait for the next update.

10. macrumors 603

Wish I'd read this sooner. The controls really are APPALLING. It's pretty much unplayable. Ugh...

11. macrumors 68000

aristotle

Then it is no sale. :D

12. macrumors regular

nuke em' if you got em'

ha, i loved this game on playstation... I dont think i would get the app but if i came out on ps3 that would be amazing... I think I had all 3 duke games or 2 i cant remember

13. macrumors 6502a

I bet the price goes up once they fix the controls, so get it now while it is cheaper. May go up like some of the other games.

14. macrumors 6502

it time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and im all out of gum

15. macrumors 6502

Doesnt work on Ipod Touch 1G either so dont click buy before reading the small print if you have a 1G.
    -Tig

16. macrumors newbie

Controls are a bit wonky. I think the Doom controls are a lot better. For me it's a classic and enjoying it but hope they do some improvements in the next update.

I have an iPhone 3GS and it runs great.

17. macrumors 603

It doesn't run that great on the 3GS. There are times when the framerate doubles (walking into the corners of rooms with not many textures) and then the framerate halves when there's a lot going on.

18. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Refresh my memory, but what did Duke Nukem 3D run on when it came out? What processor speed?

19. macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I remember running this game on my Gateway that I bought in 1996. It had a 133 MHz Pentium processor, 16 MB of RAM and a 1.33 GB hard drive. It also ran Windows 95.

I would say that the iPhone 3G S could run this with no problems, unless it was a really, really, REALLY bad port.

20. macrumors 6502a

meh it RUNS fine on a 3g too. doesn't block the fact that the controls, like for any fps on the iphone, are absolutely TERRIBLE and unplayable.

21. macrumors 603

Yeah it ran fine on my P100 Gateway system. The 3GS is definitely more than capable of running this game better than it does. But the framerate at times is definitely all over the place.

22. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, that was what I seemed to remember (but I think it was even slower than that...I'm thinking 33 MHz). Maybe not having a keyboard causes some issues.

23. macrumors 6502

The controls are crap but I would buy it now because $2.99 is a bargain. It will probably go up.

24. macrumors 6502a

In the PSO version the strippers were with the tassels, but the geisha girls are in the sample pics on the App store, do THEY do what they used to?:D

I think I am gonna have to get this one, I found my old copy last week and was about to play it, this may be in the stars for me.

Edit: Geisha girls have a bikini on now under kimono. Controls are a little odd and will take some getting used to, but even though only five minutes with it, it is workable and well worth it, I love it. Now hopefully the update won't be vaporware.

25. macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1