Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmonkey615

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
So between my comp and my 80GB drive I've got tons of duplicate files including music, movies, and docs.

Does anyone have a reco. of a duplicate deletion software. Preferably one that is free.

Thanks

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Not to hijack the thread, but I would be happy with something to do that within iTunes. Somehow we ended up with duplicate titles in 24gb of music files when we did combining of our systems. Thanks.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Chip NoVaMac said:
Not to hijack the thread, but I would be happy with something to do that within iTunes. Somehow we ended up with duplicate titles in 24gb of music files when we did combining of our systems. Thanks.

The iTunes feature is not good, all it does is compare song file names not meta data information.

That is why Tiger is going to rock for reason as such. :)

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
The highest rated one on VersionTracker is Duplicate Catcher. It's shareware but can be trial evaluated as I recall. There are several others that do the duplicate checking task that you can check out.

Good luck.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
JDar said:
The highest rated one on VersionTracker is Duplicate Catcher. It's shareware but can be trial evaluated as I recall. There are several others that do the duplicate checking task that you can check out.

Good luck.

Thanks, I looked at it and it seems to be a great program. Did some searching over there and found another program that answers my direct iTunes needs, iSweep. The demo won't allow for much more than searching - but it seems to be worth the $15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.