Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switchedanhappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
ct usa
hey guys, can anyone help me out on this one? I opened up my G5 yesterdayand noticed that there is quite a bit of dust accumulating on the lower "shelf" of the cards "thermal zone" (pci card section). does anyone know If this can hurt my G5? if so, would I need to ground myself to clean it? (instructions on grounding would be greatly appreciated) thanks!

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
switchedanhappy said:
hey guys, can anyone help me out on this one? I opened up my G5 yesterdayand noticed that there is quite a bit of dust accumulating on the lower "shelf" of the cards "thermal zone" (pci card section). does anyone know If this can hurt my G5? if so, would I need to ground myself to clean it? (instructions on grounding would be greatly appreciated) thanks!

heh, you never open a computer case before have you? you shouldn't let in build up a lot because it clogs your fans eventually (it takes a long time). get a can of compressed air and that will take care of it.

to ground yourself, you can just touch your case under two condition:
1 your case is still plug in.
2 the plug you used has a working ground on it.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Well its already a step to actually notice (and care) about the dust. Now all you have to do is clean it :)

(and remember to do this every few months)

I wonder how if one those Sharper Image air filtering devices would help out if you placed it in the same room as the computers...

KC9AIC

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
You could probably use compressed air to get out the dust. Then, you wouldn't be touching anything, and would have no worries about frying your equipment (though you should probably ground anyway, in case you do accidentally touch something.) Don't tell anyone, but I've cleaned out dust from inside computers using big home vacuum cleaners, though I don't recommend it.

mikeabnooy

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2004
Vaccuum your house!

switchedanhappy said:

i say vaccuum more... don't let the dust collect around your house either!

Opteron

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2004
South Australia
mikeabnooy said:
i say vaccuum more... don't let the dust collect around your house either!

Yeah the vaccuum cleaner has served me well, now though I leave both doors off my computer and the dust has stopped accumulating.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
KC9AIC said:
Don't tell anyone, but I've cleaned out dust from inside computers using big home vacuum cleaners, though I don't recommend it.

sounds pretty familiar for me ;-)
for the 'big dust' (in power supply or in intakes) it works fine for the small things like cpu cooler i am more cautious and watch my hands better ;-)

RiseAgainst

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2003
You didn't say, but im assuming your computer is on the floor?

If it is, put it up on something to raise it. Your computer will take in a substanial amount more dust if it is on the floor rather than, say, a desk.

mangoduck

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2002
lost at sea
Opteron said:
Yeah the vaccuum cleaner has served me well, now though I leave both doors off my computer and the dust has stopped accumulating.

i wouldn't recommend this as it eliminates any logical airflow. heat is radiated slowly rather than carried away. the lack of dust may be convenient, but it shows that little or no air is directed where it needs to be.

put it up on your desk and/or clean more frequently around it. get some compressed air; it's handy.

krimson

macrumors 65816
Mav451 said:
Well its already a step to actually notice (and care) about the dust. Now all you have to do is clean it :)

(and remember to do this every few months)

I wonder how if one those Sharper Image air filtering devices would help out if you placed it in the same room as the computers...

I had an ionic breeze running in myroom, it helped with the dust ALOT.. it died a few months ago (after warranty), and my room is horrible now, i have to do lots of dusting every few weeks.

Though, be VERY careful with those ion generators, it fragged the image chip on my Nikon Coolpix when i left it on the shelf next to the Breeze. I wouldn't leave it anywhere near anything you dont want being hit by it's magnetic field.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
krimson said:
Though, be VERY careful with those ion generators, it fragged the image chip on my Nikon Coolpix when i left it on the shelf next to the Breeze. I wouldn't leave it anywhere near anything you dont want being hit by it's magnetic field.
Yep, that's why I'd keep an "ionic" air filter far from my computer; they basically impart a static charge on dust particles, then attract them to a charged metal plate.

Problem is, lots of static, particularly if you're in a dry climate. Put one of those things near your G5 and who knows what might happen.

For the same reason, you want to be careful vacuuming near your computer--vacuums have a great big magnetic field generating motor in them. The motorized brush head does, too, and it ends up even closer to your computer--I had my PRAM screwed up by vacuuming once, though thankfully no hard drive badness happened.

Personally, I use the cheapest possible method: Blow hard on the dust. Makes a mess, and doesn't get things "clean", but it's enough to get the chunks that might obstruct airflow out of there.

Opteron

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2004
South Australia
mangoduck said:
i wouldn't recommend this as it eliminates any logical airflow. heat is radiated slowly rather than carried away. the lack of dust may be convenient, but it shows that little or no air is directed where it needs to be.

Actually my computer now runs cooler than before, when the doors were on.

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
Haha....I got in at 4 last night, and instead of goin to sleep, cleaned my puter tower... :p

I just wanted to comment on the grounding thing...the best place to discharge you static is on the back of your (still plugged in) power supply. Also, if you are gonna use any metal tools, I would suggest discharging them the same way. If possible, avoid playing with your computers guts while you are standing on carpet, but if you can't avoid it, you can get static-discharge wristbands at most computer shops or on the net (tehy attach to the back of your powersupply).

Also, it doesnt hurt to shoot some compressed air into your powersupply either...

Golem

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
Sydney,Australia
KC9AIC said:
Don't tell anyone, but I've cleaned out dust from inside computers using big home vacuum cleaners, though I don't recommend it.

As have I, mind you it was a cx that hadnt been opened in 6+ years. Hey our computer isnt working can you have a look at it. Open it up and their was just a thick grey layer like felt with no Motherboard to be seen. *shudders*. Mind you a vacuam+a bit of flicking around with a paint brush and it ran up fine. As for my G5 I have on top of my desk behind my monitor not the most convenient position but no dust at all in 6 month and since i basically live on a sand dune I really dont want the dust off the floor getting into the computer.

mangoduck

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2002
lost at sea
Opteron said:
Actually my computer now runs cooler than before, when the doors were on.

then i'm guessing your case fans aren't moving a whole lot of air and/or your system doesn't run too hot to begin with. what kind of system are we talking about? i just built a 'doze workstation with somewhat creative airflow so i'm genuinely interested in the topic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.