Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
Unfortunatley for me when I bought my new LaCie 2DVD-R CD-R 48X burner I found out I can't play commercial DVDs on it :>(. So I figure there has to be a way to hardwire my JVC DVD player somehow either through a Firewire or USB port so I can do a capture or import of the movie.
I know about the pirating issues but these are DVDs I own and with a wife and an 11 year old who all don't agree on what to play I can watch on my G3 with the headphones on and not bother anyone (I hope)

PS: for some reason I found that the search engine on Mac Forums isn't working for me I tried doing a simple search for "DVD capture" and the page just hung for about an hour, so I gave up and posted this thread.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
How come commercial dvds won't play? They should. And you'd need to be able to play like at least the first few seconds of a dvd to be able to rip it.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
7, here's what I bought:
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10113

No where on it does it say it's a "DVD Player". I even got on the phone to LaCie support to bitch about it, and they told me that because of "licensing issues" they couldn't allow it to play commercial DVDs. Then I spoke to my CDW rep (where I bought it from) and he told me b*ll S**t and said he does it all the time. Well several weeks later and here I am still not able to play DVDs on it. Oh I can play DVDs I record and burn from iMovies, don't misread this, I just can't go to Blockbuster to rent a DVD and watch it on my computer. I searched for days for any kind of 3rd party software that would work, even downloaded a couple, but to no avail. So I give up, just let me hook up my JVC player somehow to my G3 with the right capturing software and all will be well! :(

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
I went to the site, downloaded VLC and as it was downloading I went to my DVD collection, pulled out my Dennis Miller "The Raw Feed" and droped it on the VLC icon and I got this: (see attachment)
Then I opened the CD and went to the Video folder and droped that, same message, then I took an individual file and droped that, same message. Sifice it to say I tried six ways to Sunday to get it to work and nothing!! :mad:

The DVD mounts on the desktop fine, I see the Icon show up and when I double click on it, it opens like any other CD or Disk. I just can't find anyway to get it to play. So short of buying another player for the MAC I'll use my JVC somehow and do it that way. I hope. :(

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
It is probably a firmware issue on the lacie, perhaps there is a patch out there...an idea about possibly 'capturing' to your G3 from your DVD player...it is off the top of my head, so no guarantees...if you have a digital camcorder or a DV bridge, you can connect the rca/svideo out from the dvd player to said device, and then import via firewire...or just watch through any video capture program(iMovie, Premiere, FCP...)if you don't have the necessary hardware, then pursue other options

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.