Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
Will any software not only compress the DVD movie to near DVD quality, but also the menu and features as well? Would be handy when ripping DVD's that i have not watched yet to my laptop when i go on holiday to save space so i can wtach the extras as well

Thanks

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
daveL said:
Yah, for twice the price of any other solution, just so you don't have to start a second app. To each his own.
Yup. I was just pointing out an alternative. Do whatever you're happy with. My time has a real cost so putting in a DVD and clicking "copy" is worth $99 to me. For others, juggling between two programs and error codes (see above), maybe that's better.

Can't answer the Playstation question; I have an XBox.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
jsw said:
Nice - [edit] except it's wrong to pirate software and it's against forum policy to advocate it.

I've found MacTheRipper to be very good, and it allows you to rip the feature presentation only should you desire, which reduces the need for compression. I've never, not once, had a problem ripping with it, and never need to open DVD Player first. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Also, I've been happy with DVDRemaster as a compression tool.

These are just other options - the steps mentioned above are the right route to take.

And I agree - Toast is a necessary final step!

DVD master is telling me my DVD is encypted and will not let me back it up. any ideas?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Don M. said:
Yup. I was just pointing out an alternative. Do whatever you're happy with. My time has a real cost so putting in a DVD and clicking "copy" is worth $99 to me. For others, juggling between two programs and error codes (see above), maybe that's better.

Can't answer the Playstation question; I have an XBox.

You've convinced me to try it the one time it works without a license. If its as good as you say, I wouldn't mind even more simplicity - although $99 is a bit steep - its the price for convenience.

powerboy

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
amazon.com has popcorn for 39.99 plus there is a 10.00 upgrade rebate (check out the rebate on amazon to see what products qualify).

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
It is compressing now :)

i have 2 questions:

Will this create a duplicate of the DVD ie, with all the menus etc (just at a smaller size) or will it just be the film?

And what is the best file type to convert it into? I went for xVid for no reason really

Many Thanks

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
And what is the best file type to convert it into? I went for xVid for no reason really
Is this choice because you need the space on your laptop hd? I ask this only because you didn't put how big your hd is and with my ibook I can have "6" dvds at 4.2g on my hd to travel (Miami next week for example) and still have 18-20gigs left for business and photos.:rolleyes: If its for watching on a tv say larger than a 42" then I wouldn't choose that type but for a powerbook or ibook then sure what ever you feel looks good. :cool:

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
marknicholls said:
What does this mean when i try and compress a DVD in DVD remaster?

I'm sorry is this sounds harsh BUT stop with all the questions!!!!! :eek: :D :eek:

Seems like this isn't the app. for you, being that you seem to have many difficulties.

If you just use "FastDVDCopy", it's all done for you in ONE step. Use Roxio's Popcorn in conjunction with MacTheRipper if you'd rather go through the extra step. Previous posts have explained this all.

Just trying to help in my own warped way.

~e

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
eclipse525 said:
I'm sorry is this sounds harsh BUT stop with all the questions!!!!! :eek: :D :eek:

Seems like this isn't the app. for you, being that you seem to have many difficulties.

If you just use "FastDVDCopy", it's all done for you in ONE step. Use Roxio's Popcorn in conjunction with MacTheRipper if you'd rather go through the extra step. Previous posts have explained this all.

Just trying to help in my own warped way.

~e

I cant believe that response. This is something i have never done before and i am learning. I thought this forum was for help and advise. If asking a few questions when i am having some issues are annouying for you i am sorry.

It may seem like a simple thing to you, but its only easy if you know the answer (as chris tarrent would say)

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
marknicholls said:
I cant believe that response. This is something i have never done before and i am learning. I thought this forum was for help and advise. If asking a few questions when i am having some issues are annouying for you i am sorry.

It may seem like a simple thing to you, but its only easy if you know the answer (as chris tarrent would say)

I am sort of siding with eclipse on this one. Did you bother reading the first post? Its explained quite well, at least I thought so. Also there is a handy search feature on this site answering most of the questions you have asked in this forum.

Also, goto the respective websites for the software you are trying to use. They will explain in more detail what the software can and can't do.

FYI, there isn't a free way (that I know of) to accomplish a rip/compress/burn of a DVD - so that may be why you are having problems with Remaster - a product I know nothing about.

Go download Fast DVD Copy and see if its what you need, they let you use it once...I have yet to try it.

srlippross

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2005
DVD Compression

It is my understanding from previous posts that I can download a free DVD coping software but the compression program is what costs money. Basically I am trying to fit more than 4.7gb on a DVD.
I also gather that Popcorn is one of the better ones.
Am I completely off base here?
Is there a free program that will compress for me?

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.