Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalVideo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2004
Hi guys,

So I need to buy a DVD-DL burner. Does anyone have an recommendations for an external DVD-DL drive that I can (hopefully) use on both a Mac and a pc? Thankx!

uspcommuter

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
Speculation

I agree. I actually own that burner...had it for about a week now. It is great and worth every penny. However, initially when I ordered many places have it listed as backordered or discontinued. This only eludes to a new drive, but if you need it I say order it. b/c even at DL burn time its @ 4x which is still pretty fast. Toast titanium of cousre rocks as well.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I believe that it's cheaper to buy an ATA drive (such as the Pioneer 109) and a FireWire enclosure.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Nermal said:
I believe that it's cheaper to buy an ATA drive (such as the Pioneer 109) and a FireWire enclosure.

you are probably right, but if s/he doesn't have toast, it is probably a decent deal.

ph0rk

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
SWVA
DigitalVideo said:
Hi guys,

So I need to buy a DVD-DL burner. Does anyone have an recommendations for an external DVD-DL drive that I can (hopefully) use on both a Mac and a pc? Thankx!

I 'overpaid' for a plextor PX-716UF; but then again, you get what you pay for.

My only gripe is it doesn't pass FW bus power which makes chaining the burner, two external hard drives, an eyetv 200 and 3g ipod a bit tricky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.