Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hackcomic.com

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
I got my new 1.8 G5. Now the important question- where and what kind of DVDs do I buy? Whats the best/ cheapest brand? And is there really a difference between brands? I'll be using them mostly to transfer in movies from iDVD.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I use Apple discs but most brands are good I think. Just make sure you use DVD-R discs, not DVD+R discs for burning (+R won't work, certainly not with iDVD and the other iApps, although your drive may be able to handle them).

You can buy Apple discs from the Apple Store.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
When it comes to DVD media, you definitely get what you pay for. I've never used Apple brand, but I have heard they are excellent - myself, I use Verbatim. Lots of people will no doubt say that you can buy the cheapest brands, (like Princo and other media that you can get a spindle of for very cheap), and that they are just as good, but those people don't know what they're talking about - they base their claims on whether or not the disc will coaster or not, which is misleading. If you use cheap media like that, sure, your DVD will burn fine, however if you are wanting to archive something for years, like home movies, or what have you, those cheaper models will notice severe degredation over the years - to draw a slight parallel, this has already happened to me with a few Memorex CD-Rs I burned a few years ago - they are completely unreadable now.

So as I said, you get what you pay for - don't be scared off by the more expensive brands, because they're worth it. Of course, if you just want to be a cheap-ass, if $$$ is your only concern, and you do not care about quality, get whatever you want! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.