Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigglyjon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I have a iBook G4 and i have backed up some of my dvds. I cannot play the dvd's on my iBook. Is there something wrong with playing dvd's that are copied to dvd+r?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by Counterfit
Well, +RW shouldn't work either, but if you say it did...
But isn't a DVD+RW [or DVD-RW, for that matter] supposed to be just a DVD once it is burned?

jigglyjon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
i used dvdx copy to copy (they are my dvd's that i purchased so dont yell at me about piracy) so do you think it could be something, or maybe the media, because i am using fujifilm media.
Is anyone else haveing trouble with dvd+r?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Originally posted by MisterMe
But isn't a DVD+RW [or DVD-RW, for that matter] supposed to be just a DVD once it is burned?
They're supposed to be for normal DVD players, even though -R(W) is more supported there. However, it's very hit-and-miss on being read by computers.

jigglyjon: Don't worry, I'd be the last person to yell at you about pirating movies :D. music on the other hand...

jigglyjon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
also, it can see the media and i can browse the folders. Do you think it is something with dvd player? Is there another program i can try

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
If it's a regular VIDEO_TS folder, DVD player should read it just fine. If not, I recommend VLC. Heck, I'll recommend it anyway for playing DivX files, WMV, and lots of other stuff not supported by QuickTime.

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by MisterMe

Short answer: No.

That's why new DVD players specifically list all formats they can read. Look at the listings on the websites at best buy and circuit city. They list each one individually. DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW. Look long enough and you'll find players that read 1, 2, 3, or 4 of those in pretty much every combination. You'll find players that can read DVD-R, DVD+R, and DVD-RW but not DVD+RW. DVD-R only. DVD+RW only. Etc. etc. etc. In addition, you'll see disclaimers that a player that can read DVD+/-R/RW may not necessarily be able to read all DVD+/-R/RW media.

crjo

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2003
Hello,

I have been working on this pb for some time, and here is what I could gather :
Not all internal dvd drives are from the same manufacturer. SOME of them (like the SONY) are more "open" than others, and will let you play DVD+RW... some like mine (!) the toshiba won't !!
I have been told that some tinkering in Terminal could solve the problem, but that is way beyond my league...

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by jigglyjon
i used dvdx copy to copy (they are my dvd's that i purchased so dont yell at me about piracy) so do you think it could be something, or maybe the media, because i am using fujifilm media.
Is anyone else haveing trouble with dvd+r?

Yep.
Used LaCie's external FW DVD +/- R/RW burner (Pioneer's A06 drive), and burnt a couple of DVD's. Both DVD+R and DVD-R.
All burnt perfectly, and all could be played on a consumer DVD player.
The Mac (iMac G4 700 MHz, Combo Drive) could mount all DVD's.
All the DVD-R's could be played, both in VLC and OS X's DVD Player. The DVD+R's in VLC and DVD Player made the app crash... i.e. spinning "beachball of death" until I could force-quit the app.
The OS was 10.3.1 BTW.

I'm not buying DVD+R's. Although I thought that Panther would support them.... maybe burning only.

Anyone tried data- DVD+R's?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.