Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
My parents want to purchase a g4 400 with a dvdrom becauase they dont have enough $ to get a new iMac. It has a Rage 128 pro with a VGA out and DVI out. They want to be able to watch DVD's on their tv with the G4 and not buy a separate DVD player. But since there is no S-video, they cant do it. I know there are those USB and FireWire video doodads and other graphics cards. But they dont want to pay more than 700 total(thats how much it is with the monitor). Are there any VGA to TV adaptors or DVI to TV adaptors? I need some help here.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Well, it definitely wont just be an adapter or a cable. You can get VGA to coax or svideo converters for anywhere from $50 to $300. They are usually for presentations. Or you can get a dazzle unit, but MAKE SURE IT CAN DO OUTPUT!! Most of the cheaper ones just input. Tell them to get a good deal on a 500mhz iBook. It has the vga AND composite video out. Its not as fast as the G4, but may be close enough for them.

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
same concern

We were told that we could output from our dv iMac to our Tv using the video mirroring port BUT when I talked to someone at Apple they said that I need to get a cable. I gave up looking for this "cable" because I couldn't find it.
If anyone knows about this, please let me know.

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
video out

I'm going to look into video out through firewire. We don't have a digi cam so we bought a Sony digital converter box and have used that to export imovies. The question is...why can't I use that to export a DVD playing to a TV cabled to the box's output?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.