Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Does anyone else think it's about time we had some more dynamic wallpapers? If Apple aren't going to provide more themselves, they could at least provide an API and a section on the App Store or something.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
That said, anyone else find the perspective effect on static wallpapers smoother and more responsive in iOS 9?

Last edited:

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I completely agree with this to be honest. It would be nice to have some new ones. I.e they could've had something akin to the time laps ones for iOS!

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Can someone on iOS 9 check if dynamic wallpapers refresh every time when you come back to it? This started with ios8 and made dynamic wallpapers much less cool to use. If they keep it like that then I consider it left to die.

Reactions: XTheLancerX

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Most don't use them because to be honest, they're pretty awful. Floating dots? Yeah like hell I just want floating dots as my wallpaper.

I think they look really nice, I just fancy something new.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Can someone on iOS 9 check if dynamic wallpapers refresh every time when you come back to it? This started with ios8 and made dynamic wallpapers much less cool to use. If they keep it like that then I consider it left to die.

I tried it with a ten second delay between locking and unlocking, it looked like the blobs were in the same place as when I left them. I don't know how you'd be able to tell over a longer period, how would you remember what state they were in previously? Does it change significantly and I haven't noticed?

ibergu

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Does anyone else think it's about time we had some more dynamic wallpapers? If Apple aren't going to provide more themselves, they could at least provide an API and a section on the App Store or something.

Yeah, I'm disappointed when Apple introduces features like this, but don't develop them further. Clearly it's not a high priority item (as it shouldn't be) for Apple, but as you said, provide an API for developers and let them build. I would definitely buy a good dynamic wallpaper, as I'm sure others would.

Reactions: n8cousins and g-7

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Most don't use them because to be honest, they're pretty awful. Floating dots? Yeah like hell I just want floating dots as my wallpaper.
Well floating dots don't sound too bad to me. What kind of wallpaper do you want?

On that note, I don't think Developer betas will include more than one new wallpaper, as opposed to the GM which always brings a whole bunch of 'em.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I tried it with a ten second delay between locking and unlocking, it looked like the blobs were in the same place as when I left them. I don't know how you'd be able to tell over a longer period, how would you remember what state they were in previously? Does it change significantly and I haven't noticed?

Oh cool thanks for checking, that's a good sign. In iOS 8, anytime you went back to the home screen or woke from sleep, the wallpaper would just be the gradient without any bubbles, and the bubbles would slowly fade in. Even if you go into an app for a fraction of a second and leave it, the wallpaper would still restart.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Most new wallpapers, ring tones, etc have waited until the public launch and have been a bit of a surprise... I wouldn't be shocked it they dropped with iOS 9.0 release.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah I thought for sure that when they introduced that feature that they would update the SDK for developers to build them and sell them in the store. At the very least Apple needs to make it so that my lock screen wallpaper can rotate through photos from an album or photostream.

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
No new wallpapers, no dark mode, no new lock screen, no multitasking on iPhones, no widgets on home screen, nothing special or noticeable about this update at all, when I tell someone I updated to iOS 9 and they tell me whats new about it, what should I tell them to impress them....NOTHING.

myevilclone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2013
Given that iOS7 was all for dynamic wallpapers and emphasizing it, I'm surprised that after two iterations after 7, there still are no new wallpapers or the ability to download them from outside sources. Not that it's a big deal, but still, it would be nice to have them. Thoughts?

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I wouldn't sacrifice 1% of my phones processing power for a wallpaper. My phone is a tool and I don't care to impress people with it's appearance.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
I wouldn't sacrifice 1% of my phones processing power for a wallpaper. My phone is a tool and I don't care to impress people with it's appearance.
I would. and I'm honestly astounded there aren't more added with each release, or an API/whatever to make them.

Ive got a bruce lee background that could use some dynamics. multi-layered backgrounds make me smile.

I'm a "casual" user, if you're not, you'd be able to turn it off.

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
Stop saying "I don't need this" or "I don't need that", we need every feature possible at least as an option, you don't like it? turn it off...I can't believe people convince themselves that they don't need something just to "protect" Apple...iOS 9 has 0 major features ZEROOOO not even multitasking on current iPhones just wowww

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AlphaHumanus

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Stop saying "I don't need this" or "I don't need that", we need every feature possible at least as an option, you don't like it? turn it off...I can't believe people convince themselves that they don't need something just to "protect" Apple...iOS 9 has 0 major features ZEROOOO not even multitasking on current iPhones just wowww

Its has major features for iPads ;)

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Oh cool thanks for checking, that's a good sign. In iOS 8, anytime you went back to the home screen or woke from sleep, the wallpaper would just be the gradient without any bubbles, and the bubbles would slowly fade in. Even if you go into an app for a fraction of a second and leave it, the wallpaper would still restart.

Aah, I didn't even think to try it on the home screen. Yeah, I get how that would be annoying. Tried it, looks the same before and after I opened an app for a few seconds then closed it.

Reactions: kmj2318

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Most new wallpapers, ring tones, etc have waited until the public launch and have been a bit of a surprise... I wouldn't be shocked it they dropped with iOS 9.0 release.

Yeah, but there weren't any in iOS 8 either were there?

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK

I think a stability/performance release without big new features is a good thing now and then.

Reactions: n8cousins

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

Guess you missed the part of the Proactive assistant and more Google Now-like Siri.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
No new wallpapers, no dark mode, no new lock screen, no multitasking on iPhones, no widgets on home screen, nothing special or noticeable about this update at all, when I tell someone I updated to iOS 9 and they tell me whats new about it, what should I tell them to impress them....NOTHING.

Sounds like you should just buy an android phone and quit whining. Split screen would be a garbage experience on such a small device. Everything else aside its only beta 1. And the widget whining is so 2012. Get over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.