Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
I just bought hosting from 1&1 two weeks ago and I've tried using Drupal and Joomla!. Right now I'm using Joomla! with this theme I really like but I can't get it to work correctly.

Drupal is good, but I can't find a good theme for it. Joomla! has better themes but it's more complicated IMO.

I'm a beginner with CMSes so are there any other alternatives to these two? I know there's Mambo and PHPNuke.

cytefx

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Spain
joomla and mambo are really from the same code base, they split apart about 1 year ago.

Mambo was the origional and some of the compoments wrote for mambo work for joomla out of the box.

In what way is it not working, as I have found them very easy to install, and get working. (problems were normally due to permissions on the server side, for various files, that need specific permissions)

I am now using movable type, I know its a blog software, but it is a very nice basic cms tool that you can create a new page with ease. :)

IvanVanderbyl

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2006
Byron Bay, Australia
Hi,

I've used allot of CMS's over the years, and at one stage I resorted to custom building my own, which was very successful, but time consuming and at then end of the day its not a 1 man job, but then a team started the MODx project, which is a CMS and CMF (Content Management Framework), very easy to use, very well layed out file structure, very secure, and has all the functionability that you would expect and a huge development community and translations into over 40 different languages.

I've developed 12 commercial websites on MODx ranging from small (<10 pages) to a site with over 500 pages and it wasn't a problem, hasnt had any downtime and consumes very little system resources.

check it out at modxcms.com
and also take a look at opensourcecms.com which has a demo http://opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2101

Good luck, and welcome to Web 2.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.