Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
And finally, get over this 'Mac OS never crashes, Windows does all the time'. I have found both systems to be about as reliable as each other. At least when a machine running windows crashes it gives some kind of feedback. Mac OS just shows you a lovely coloured rainbow...

I will admit, that OS 9 crashed on me quite a bit. Technically, it was Netscape 4.x that always crashed, but due to unprotected memory (or something like that), Netscape's crash would bring down the OS (or the OS would crash upon force-quit when Netscape got stuck).
I still think Windows 98 had it beat in number of crashes, but OS 9 was a pain.

As for X vs. XP comparisons, I've seen many more crashes on XP. That's not to suggest that I've seen XP crash a lot, mind you, just a lot when compared.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I crash much, much more frequently on my Macbook Pro then on my PC. Its actually pretty disheartening. Firefox crashes all the time, Adium will lock up, its not that fun :(

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
I booted my PC.

My thoughts exactly. Only with Windows, in my experience, could a computer lockup simply by attempting to a) access the desktop view b) click on the "start" button or, best of all, c) shut down the computer.

I have a beautifully made IBM ThinkPad that's less than a year old running Windows XP Professional. No viruses or spyware of which I'm aware, and it slogs through startup and shutdown. My three-year-old iBook G4, meanwhile, kicks its a*s! Though, to be fair, it runs OS X (10.4.8), a far superior OS.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Let one of the tech guys at work use it.

Otherwise, I haven't hard a hard freeze on a Windows computer (work or home) that was running Windows XP or 2000. Windows 98 and ME were terrible however. I'd have to reboot them at least 4 or 5 times a day.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
No. It just means that XP crashes less on a current prebuilt PC.

it more the reason that it will crash more often on a PC than parallels is because the OS installed on the PC general will have more stuff running in it and it been an older install and has had more time to have issues.

It the same thing you would noticed that a fresh install of XP is more stable than one that is a year old and has a ton of extra stuff installed. The same thing goes with OSX is a fresh install of it is more stable than an old one.

Also you type parallels install is going to be used less off, a fresher install and has less stuff running on top of it than you would on a PC. Because of those reason it is a lot more stable. Do not forget the same thing would apply when comparing 2 different OSX installs

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Wirelessly posted (NokiaN70-1/2.0539.1.2/SN359380002126483 Series60/2.8 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)
Made a new account.
Put 51 objects onto the desktop
opened objectdock and put the same 51 objects onto it
Windows becomes unuseable

So if I go into CompUSA and try this on the PC's it will work!? I am going to have so much fun!

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
it more the reason that it will crash more often on a PC than parallels is because the OS installed on the PC general will have more stuff running in it and it been an older install and has had more time to have issues.

It the same thing you would noticed that a fresh install of XP is more stable than one that is a year old and has a ton of extra stuff installed. The same thing goes with OSX is a fresh install of it is more stable than an old one.

Also you type parallels install is going to be used less off, a fresher install and has less stuff running on top of it than you would on a PC. Because of those reason it is a lot more stable. Do not forget the same thing would apply when comparing 2 different OSX installs

All potentially very true. It was a gross generalisation of course.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Slightly off-topic, but my 1.6GHz 512MB RAM school PC laptop tells me that the CPU usage is 100% if i drag a window around really fast for about 10 seconds!!! :eek: :eek:

Please tell me if this is normal. :eek:

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Wirelessly posted (APPLE iPhone Browser/Safari WebKit/2.1 Leopard OS EDGE/0.7.2)

Plugging USB devices like an external DVD burner, webcam or cheap Taiwan branded scanner will do the trick. One time I was surfing at an Internet cafe, the person next to me spent the entire time trying to install a webcam without much luck as his Windows machine kept crashing. There are no Macs in Vietnam. :eek:

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I have a so called "killer" disc

I made it by accident one day on my PB, nothing special but there was a burn error and it did not copy over all the data but the weird thing is when you put it into any windows OS pc it crashes the system into the black screen doing the memory dump thing.

When I am in a really bad mood I go to the library and pop it into the search computers to shut them down. < I know mean but hey...

It makes a great party trick too.

I have not tried it on a legitimate Vista PC yet...maybe tommorow...

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Groan... the Mac 'true believer' zealouts are out again

Apparently it has escaped your attention that you're reading a Mac-centric web site. What do you expect? If that sort of thing bothers you, you'd be better off reading Windows fansites or something, if there are any.

At least when a machine running windows crashes it gives some kind of feedback. Mac OS just shows you a lovely coloured rainbow...

This is incorrect. What actually happens is that you get a dialog box saying that the program quit, and you get the options to close it or try again, or submit a bug report. If it happens again you get the option to trash the program's preferences before opening it again, since wonky preferences are sometimes the cause of failing programs. If you're somewhat technically inclined, you can fire up the console and read the crash logs to see exactly what's going on.

--Eric

marcosscriven

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
Apparently it has escaped your attention that you're reading a Mac-centric web site. What do you expect? If that sort of thing bothers you, you'd be better off reading Windows fansites or something, if there are any.

--Eric

Apparently it escaped your attention this is a board to do with people wanting to get Windows to work on Mac hardware. Not for juvenile little posts, for people that have too much time on their hands, basically just having a dig.

Getting people to buy Mac hardware to run any OS is to be encouraged surely?

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
Connecting to a VPN without turning off "Use default gateway" and at the same time having a network drive open. When you try to browse to that drive, or even open My Computer, Explorer locks up and the only way to recover is to turn off the computer (killing it from Task Manager doesn't actually seem to fix it).

Nitromaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Ireland.
Wirelessly posted (NokiaN70-1/2.0539.1.2/SN359380002126483 Series60/2.8 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Anyone know any websites to download viruses.?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
And finally, get over this 'Mac OS never crashes, Windows does all the time'. I have found both systems to be about as reliable as each other.
True and I have been using both for the past 20+ years.

One thing that I do like with X is that you can end a task. Windows will just sit there an ask you again and again if you want to end the task.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.