Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
In order to make the use of @eyoungren 's fantastic tweak guide a little bit easier for TenFourFox users, I have compiled all applicable settings into a prefs.js file that you can download and install. You no longer have to touch the about:config controls to take advantage of his awesome tweaks.

NOTE: Ensure TenFourFox is not running during installation.

To install, simply download the prefs.js file from the link below and copy it to:
Code:
~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/(Your Profile Name)/

Download (TenFourFox 38.5.0 Compatible)

NOTE: This tweak file does not include all of eyoungren's tweaks. In his thread, there are many tweaks that may offer a performance advantage but are more up to user preference, for example offline caching is disabled in his thread. While that offers a performance advantage in some circumstance, I chose the most critical of his tweaks that make the biggest difference namely pipelining and other factors in this file. If you would like to learn more about what is changed using my installer, simply create a copy of the file and open it up using TextWrangler or a comparable program. Feel free to experiment with @eyoungren's other awesome tweaks, and keep on PowerPC'ing!

DISCLAIMER: While I have not experienced any issues with the tweaks, I am not responsible for anything that could be caused by them. Keep in mind that you may need to change some settings back if you have created a custom about:config settings list already.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Two things to keep in mind.

1. Don't open the file. It's self-contained and once you open it your copy of T4Fx/Firefox will default to stock. It is for this reason that I usually just copy over the entire profile between my Macs instead of just the prefs.js file.

2. Any specific settings you may have in your preferences will change to those that were set with this file. Ex., you will probably have to reset your home page.

Reactions: Gamer9430

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Good points that I have forgotten to mention. Thank you! I did not want to create a whole profile as I knew users have their own preferences. This way all it does is install the tweaks and everything else is as default.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I was Altemose's test monkey, and I can confirm that the tweaks did work and definitely helped out! Kudos to @eyoungren for discovering these tweaks, and kudos to @Altemose for compiling them into a download!
Well, they were always there. I just compiled them in one post.

As I mentioned in that thread this is a culmination of years of constant Google searching because I was pissed off that the browser was frickin' slow. So, I decided to do something and over time it compounded into what we have now.

I'd also just like to mention that RequestPolicy is one amazing addon. I've adjusted how I am using it and it's completely killed any lag I've had with the redesign of MR.

mccjim12

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Stamford, CT
Just tried to apply this package and I'm not sure I'm doing it right. When I get into Mozilla/Profiles, there is then a folder called (random numbers/letters).default. Am I putting it in there? I did and was asked would I like to replace the existing prefs.js file. I said yes and re-started TFF where I got the "would you like to make TFF your default browser" dialogue box. I thought that was a sign but there is seemingly no effect and nothing is in the add ons or extensions lists.

If I botched it can I just delete TFF and try again? I had just downloaded TFF anyway, so no loss if I have to wipe it. Thanks.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just tried to apply this package and I'm not sure I'm doing it right. When I get into Mozilla/Profiles, there is then a folder called (random numbers/letters).default. Am I putting it in there? I did and was asked would I like to replace the existing prefs.js file. I said yes and re-started TFF where I got the "would you like to make TFF your default browser" dialogue box. I thought that was a sign but there is seemingly no effect and nothing is in the add ons or extensions lists.

If I botched it can I just delete TFF and try again? I had just downloaded TFF anyway, so no loss if I have to wipe it. Thanks.
I believe the tweaks were made on a stock install, no addons, (I did not actually make this prefs file). I am also told that the prefs.js file does not store what addons are installed so doing this would not affect any addons you already have installed.

All of the changes would not be visible. Everything is done in about:config. The end result is supposed to be speed.

So you may want to look at one or two of the tweak suggestions I make in my thread and then go to about:config and see if that change has been made. If it has, then you know you did this right.

mccjim12

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Stamford, CT
I believe the tweaks were made on a stock install, no addons, (I did not actually make this prefs file). I am also told that the prefs.js file does not store what addons are installed so doing this would not affect any addons you already have installed.

All of the changes would not be visible. Everything is done in about:config. The end result is supposed to be speed.

So you may want to look at one or two of the tweak suggestions I make in my thread and then go to about:config and see if that change has been made. If it has, then you know you did this right.

Thanks much, I'll take a look.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Essentially, the prefs.js file simply records changes to the about:config panel. Copying my file into your profile does not change anything but restore your about:config panel to default settings then apply eyoungren's settings. You are responsible to configure TenFourFox with the appropriate addons as mentioned in his guide!

mccjim12

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Stamford, CT
Essentially, the prefs.js file simply records changes to the about:config panel. Copying my file into your profile does not change anything but restore your about:config panel to default settings then apply eyoungren's settings. You are responsible to configure TenFourFox with the appropriate addons as mentioned in his guide!

Thanks. Yeah, I went and added the add ons after going through and verifying that the changes to about:config did indeed take. So we'll see!

Reactions: Altemose

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I will update this tweak file whenever a new major release of TenFourFox comes out. There are a few new tweaks to be added in the next release.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I will update this tweak file whenever a new major release of TenFourFox comes out. There are a few new tweaks to be added in the next release.
What are you hearing?

Other than the one's we discussed the other day?

I ask because I've only ever updated any new tweaks when or if needed, not at each release. In other words, I've never felt I needed to check that there was anything new I needed to tweak upon a new release.

And note please, I am not advocating that you should not, I am just curious in case I've been missing anything important.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ah, I see. OK. That works, thanks!

Unfortunately for all of us I think we have tapped out on tweaks/addons. I still Google this but I haven't come up with anything that is really new or really helpful in quite some time.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
@Altemose Hmmm, not on a site by site basis that I am aware of but there is UserAgent Switcher (which I use) which will change your UA globally. You can turn it on/off at will however just by clicking on the icon.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Great work @Altemose! I reinstalled the tweaks on my PowerBook to test. Do you know how to speed up typing? It seems really laggy
Typing here (as in MacRumors) or just in general?

If you mean here, turn of the WYSIWG editor in your Preferences. The WYSIWYG editor uses a bunch of javascript that keeps running in the background because the Quick Reply is always open.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Typing here (as in MacRumors) or just in general?

If you mean here, turn of the WYSIWG editor in your Preferences. The WYSIWYG editor uses a bunch of javascript that keeps running in the background because the Quick Reply is always open.
Ok where is that located?? Still getting used to the new layout

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.