Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjmac19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
I wrote the following code, a simple string test and I get an error message every time I run it saying "Hey(5031) malloc: *** error for object 0x1000041c0: pointer being freed was not allocated
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
Abort trap"

How do I fix this?

Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main ()
{
	string user_first_name;
	string user_last_name;

cout << "First name: ";
	cin >> user_first_name;
	cout << "Last name: ";
	cin >> user_last_name
	string user_full_name = user_first_name + " " + user_last_name;

cout << "Your name is " << user_full_name << "\n";
}

Last edited by a moderator:

cqexbesd

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
Germany
I wrote the following code, a simple string test and I get an error message every time I run it saying "Hey(5031) malloc: *** error for object 0x1000041c0: pointer being freed was not allocated
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
Abort trap"

How do I fix this?

I haven't done c++ in a while (thankfully!) but the code looks OK to me (apart from a missing ";" ). I don't see any problems when I run the code either. How are you compiling it? I just used clang++ -Wall blah.cpp.

/me now waits for the more regular C++ users to point out what we both missed.

Andrew

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
Since you couldn't have actually compiled the code you posted as it's missing a semicolon, my guess is your error is from something else.

If you were to get that code to compile it would run fine.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I wasn't aware of + working on strings without the user implementing it themselves in C++... I thought you had to use a bunch of << into a string buffer and then use the string function to convert that buffer to a new string if you wanted to concatenate strings?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I wasn't aware of + working on strings without the user implementing it themselves in C++... I thought you had to use a bunch of << into a string buffer and then use the string function to convert that buffer to a new string if you wanted to concatenate strings?

You can. operator+ is implemented, and there is automatic conversion from C string to std::string. You have to be awfully careful. For example

std::string x = "3";
std::string y = "1" + 2 + x;

will compile just fine, but will most likely crash. If you think hard enough about it you'll know why. While

std::string z = x + 2 + "1"; will not compile (I think it won't. If it does it will work).

There are other methods like "append", I think "replace", that are quite useful.

lloyddean

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, WA
The code is good it compiles and run just fine for me!

Do you have any other issues with your computer?
What is the size and free space available on the hard disk of your computer?
How much RAM do you have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.