Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
If i want to upload my pdfs for reading on a kindle, i can do so or is it amazon purchased stuff only? Also how is the compatibility for many file formats including chm?

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
If i want to upload my pdfs for reading on a kindle, i can do so or is it amazon purchased stuff only? Also how is the compatibility for many file formats including chm?

I've converted some pdfs for my kindle. Here is one method I've used, it works pretty well.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5804630_convert-pdf-documents-format-kindle.html

Another way is converting the pdf using mobi pocket creator. If you do them properly they will have the same text reflow as books from Amazon.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have used a basic Kindle for some time, I will be very interested in the Kindle White when it is released in the UK. IMHO an E Reader rather than a tablet is best for reading.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The eInk readers still have their place.

I won't take my iPad of Kindle Fire to the beach, but I generally take my Nook Classic. The battery life and sunlight performance provide a superior experience.

A Kindle Paperwhite is on the Christmas shopping list.

B

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I've used the Nook on several occasions and have been very pleased with its performance. Among the college age students in the company, Nook seems the most popular as well.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
If you really just want to read books the kindle is the way to go. The new ones look even better. I own a kindle in addition to my other tablets. If I'm watching a movie or using the web I use them, when I want to just read a book I use the kindle. I used to be all about having just one device, and the kindle app for iPad is great, but it doesn't compare to e-ink at all. I now have both and no regrets. The kindle screen is perfect for reading, even in very sunny conditions. I can't wait to get one of the new paper white versions they just announced.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
My only argument with the new Kindle Paperwhite is pricing. $180 for the 3G version with ads?!?!:eek: This seems really pricey for an e-reader as compared to a full-fledged tablet such as Nexus 7 or upcoming iPad min. The non-3G version seems much more reasonable at $120 but I use my Kindle Keyboard 3G ($139) on the beach or road a lot and really appreciate the 3G on occasions when I wish to browse for something new to read/buy/download and am not near wifi. I bought my first Kindle (the Keyboard) this summer plus an attachable light - I guess I should have held off. I did spend in total about $175 so I guess it's a wash. I'd really like to upgrade to the Paperwhite but just can't justify spending close to $200 on another e-reader so soon.:eek:

To OP:

I do think the Kindle Paperwhite would be your best option. I love using the Kindle app on my iPad 3 and Whispersynch which enables you to synch all your devices to the last page read. Kindle e-reader beats backlit tablet for heavy reading (books) IMO.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I've got a Kindle Touch and love it. If I'm reading a book, that's what I like to use. I look at a computer screen all day as it is so it's nice on my eyes to take it off of a back-lit display and something that's a bit easier on the eyes. There is nothing like an eInk display for books.

For the OP, Kindle Paperwhite with WiFi is your best bet. While there are other readers out there, the Kindle Store is the best IMO. Great deals daily and selection is great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.