Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lind0834

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Alright, I've got a Sawtooth (AGP) waiting for some more RAM.
I found a guy who is parting out an older server and is selling 1Gig (256 x 4) of Corsair PC100 Registered ECC RAM for a good price.

http://www.corsairmicro.com/main/products/specs/cm764s256.html

It says it's Pin-Compatible with PC100 RAM so I guess it sounds good to me. My one question is will the ECC or Registering force it to not work? I know G4s can't take advantage of those kind of extra fancy features, but the price is right.

Thanks in Advance.

-Lind

lind0834

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
??

Anybody have any experience with ECC in a G4?
I eventually tracked down one guy on on the LEM G-List, who it didn't work for. I'm sure somebody else in the world has at least tried it.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
EEC RAM will only work in logic boards with a chipset specifically designed to support them. No desktop Mac will accept EEC, Xserve will however.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
ecc ram should work everywhere, but not all boards take advantage of the error correction. i'd say buy it if you can get it cheap, because it is usually far more expensive than the regular ram, and if it doesn't work out (it should be fine!) - you just sell it on the ebay and probably get some profit.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The ECC RAM may be pin-compatible, but that doesn't necessarily mean the motherboard on that Mac will recognize it. In fact, I'd say odds are good that it WON'T work in your Mac. According to Apple, the G5 Xserves are the only Macs equipped to use/take advantage of ECC memory.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
wrldwzrd89 said:
The ECC RAM may be pin-compatible, but that doesn't necessarily mean the motherboard on that Mac will recognize it. In fact, I'd say odds are good that it WON'T work in your Mac. According to Apple, the G5 Xserves are the only Macs equipped to use/take advantage of ECC memory.

Nice to see Apple and Crucial agree. :p

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
Registered Memory

Are the notches for registered memory the same?
I don't even know if the memory would physically fit in the slot. ECC and Non-ECC do have the same notches.

-Wyrm

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Oh no! I've ordered RAM from eBay £58 for 1GB, and it doesn't say if it's ECC or Non-ECC and it's coming tomorrow!

So it won't work in my eMac if it's ECC?

I know if it's ECC the number of banks will be divisible by 3 or 5. There better not be 12 or 15 banks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.