Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caspa

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Sydney
Hey all,

Before I begin i'm a total n00b to OSX... but a quick question regarding Eclipse IDE for Java. Anyone here use it?
Well I downloaded the OSX version (printed on the website as the OSX/Carbon version; i have no idea what carbon means - can anyone fill me in?) and extracted it and there doesnt really seem to be anything to launch it with. Am I right in presuming that i'm gonna need to install and run it from X11 and terminal?
Help appreciated in getting it to run for me.

Cheers

calm

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2003
On the what Carbon is:
to my memory if you have a "Carbonlib" in your pre OS X systems so you can run Carbon programs, e.g. Os 9 you should be able to run Carbon Apps. And Os X supports Carbon programs. Carbon was meant to phase the move from pre X to X.

If your program is Carbon it should run in OS X with no problems, but the eclipse FAQ is here: "http://eclipse.org/eclipse/faq/eclipse-faq.html", there is a help contact on the page.

Hope this is helpful

hbrackel

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2003
Eclipse on OS X

Once you extracted the downloaded files, go to the expanded 'Eclipse' folder. There you should find a respective icon which you can use to start Eclipse.

You will most certainly also want to download some tools, like the Java or C++ environment. Eclipse only doesn't give you too much.

Also make sure you use the latest version of Eclipse (2.1). They made good progress over the version before (e.g. mouse weel now is detected, much more...)

N.B. Unfortunately, Eclipse on Mac OS X is tremendously slow -- compared to the Win32 version. It's really a pitty...

X-Baz

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Leeds, England
Re: Eclipse on OSX

Originally posted by Caspa

Well I downloaded the OSX version (printed on the website as the OSX/Carbon version; i have no idea what carbon means - can anyone fill me in?) and extracted it and there doesnt really seem to be anything to launch it with. Am I right in presuming that i'm gonna need to install and run it from X11 and terminal?
Help appreciated in getting it to run for me.

Cheers
Carbon is the OSX API used to write the SWT, which is the UI library for Eclipse (the other major API is Cocoa - it's sort of equivalent to MFC vs VCL in windows, or GTK vs QT on unix - although both APIs are actually much more than just the UI)

There should be an eclipse icon you can double-click to start the app - you don't need X11 or Terminal.

However, SWT (the Eclipse UI library) is dog-slow - to the point that I find Eclipse unusable. You'll have much better success with Netbeans.

Caspa

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Sydney
Yeh, i was actually initially trying to test it on a 10.1 system which is why I had the install problems and wasnt able to run it :D... but now that i've got my new 10.2 system ive successfully installed and am extremely dissapointed. I use eclipse on windows and must say that its excellent... but is dog slow on mac...

Just wondering... what are people's opinions for the best, full featured IDE (other than eclipse, and I used to use netbeans on windows and it was very slow and clunky... hows it run on mac?)

Thanks

fred_garvin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
Does anyone have experience running IntelliJ Idea 3.04 with jdk 1.4.1 on Jaguar? If so, how is the performance? Idea is a superb editor that runs very well on windows. Now that jdk 1.4 is out, and Oracle runs on OSX, I'd like to get the new 15" PB when it comes out to do my dev.

X-Baz

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Leeds, England
Originally posted by Caspa
I use eclipse on windows and must say that its excellent... but is dog slow on mac...

Just wondering... what are people's opinions for the best, full featured IDE (other than eclipse, and I used to use netbeans on windows and it was very slow and clunky... hows it run on mac?)

Thanks
After netbeans (3.5beta) crashed on me again, I thought I'd give Eclipse another go - if you switch off all the background processing (annotations and so on), it's not too bad (not good but not bad). Netbeans is slow and clunky but does the job. Project Builder (which come on the OSX dev tools is OK but is little more than an editor with compile and debug buttons . JBuilder is very fast and usable, but costs - the free version is very limited. I haven't tried IDEA. And I'm quite fond of DrJava (on sourceforge)

teza

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2003
Melbourne
Eclipse on Mac OS X and IntelliJ IDEA 3.04

I found Eclipse 2.1 unusable on my G4 Powerbook. Click a button, and watch the spinning wheel for 20..30...40 secs.

IntelliJ IDEA 3.04 on the other hand was excellent. Very intuitive, I got going within 5 minutes and then started making use of all the shortcuts etc. Appears to do everything Eclispe does and feels like a proper Mac app rather than a port. Price Tag is the show stopper for the Boss.

I also used Forte under OSX, but Forte is way over the top and still very Windows like in its approach.

Project Builder is ok, but didnt find it particulary intuitive.

benjaminpg

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Project Builder is easily the fastest IDE. However it is missing many of the features in other IDEs, such as the refactoring I have come to love in Eclipse.

I have found eclipse rather slow on the mac, but not unusable. The interface feels very windows-like, largely because it violates the Aqua HI Guidelines left and right. I still would recommend using eclipse for any complex projects.

All in all, Eclipse runs much better on the PC, but shows clear promise, as this is the first version released for Mac OS X.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
One of the goals for Eclipse 3.0 is getting non-windows platforms up to speed (Linux and others are slow as well). I'll be looking forward to it, since Eclipse kicks arse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.