Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple executive Eddy Cue sat down with CNN senior correspondent Brian Stelter last week for a two-part interview about the new Apple TV, describing the fourth-generation device as an "add-on for most people," since content providers such as ABC, CNN and WatchESPN still require authenticating with a cable or satellite TV subscription.

Eddy Cue's interview with CNNMoney about the new Apple TV last week

CNNMoney has now shared a few additional comments Cue made about Apple's rumored streaming TV service. Specifically, Cue said the new Apple TV could support whole cable packages from content providers such as Comcast, but he refused to elaborate much further, beyond alluding that Apple wants customers to be "able to buy whatever they want, however they want."
But what about buying a whole cable package, including CBS, right through the TV?

"If Comcast or any other provider wants to do that, they'll be able to do that with the current Apple TV," Cue said.

When I asked directly if Apple wants to get to the point that Moonves has been describing, an Apple-branded TV package, Cue said, "We want to get to the point where customers are able to buy whatever they want, however they want. We're not fixed into 'There's only one way to buy it.' Just like we've done with the App Store, where there have been things that have been free; things that you subscribe to; things that you pay for; things that are in-app. All of those capabilities will be here and we want that market to be able to develop."
Apple's rumored streaming TV service is expected to deliver a lightweight package of about 25 channels for around $40 per month, anchored by popular networks such as ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX, and could launch in 2016 following multiple delays in negotiations between Apple and content providers.

The new Apple TV launched last Friday and features an App Store, Siri, tvOS and more.

Article Link: Eddy Cue on Apple TV: Customers Should Be Able to 'Buy Whatever They Want, However They Want'

Reactions: appledefenceforce

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
The thing that's really insulting is having to activate according to the cable service you take. If you do subscribe to cable, why do you want to have it on Apple TV? They don't seem to be able to understand that many of us don't want to pay $100-$200 a month for the privilege of having 400 channels, most of them useless and stupid.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree. People should be able to buy what they want when they want...now can they give us an Amazon app?
Ask Bezos.

The thing that's really insulting is having to activate according to the cable service you take. If you do subscribe to cable, why do you want to have it on Apple TV? They don't seem to be able to understand that many of us don't want to pay $100-$200 a month for the privilege of having 400 channels, most of them useless and stupid.

The issue isn't cable providers its the content companies. Right now I have DirecTV and can watch almost any channel on my iPad wherever I want. Why do I need an TV subscription package? And from Cue's comments it seems like Apple is more interested in creating a platform for others to offer subscription services.

Last edited:

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
I agree. People should be able to buy what they want when they want...now can they give us an Amazon app?
What do people not get about this? There is a gosh-darn SDK. If a content provider (such as Amazon) wants to make an app for the AppleTV, they are more than welcome. Nothing is stopping them.

I would imagine that alot of the problem here is that Apple takes a cut of all in-app purchases. That probably is not motivating Amazon very much.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
This is entirely up to the networks, the requirement comes from them so don't shoot the messenger.

Besides, there are use-cases where this arrangement is still OK, such as a vacation home where you don't want to pay for cable service but can use your main home's service as authorization. I suppose some might travel with their little black hockey puck too, if a hotel has decent Wi-Fi. Then there's always that extra room where there's no cable piped in. And then there are those who've unplugged but {ahem} have a friend/relative who doesn't mind sharing their credentials.

Reactions: Aloft085

irfan22

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
The more i think about this idea of a skinny bundle, the more i think people will not want it. I think people are refusing to pay for content like they are for music. People look at netflix and say thats all i need. People spend more time on the internet and dont see the same value. I think pay per channel/app is the way to go and yes its going to be a bunch of different subscriptions.

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
To bad when he says this he only means American users. People from any other country (thats right America isn't the only country in the world), have no legitimate or easy way to access content, and even when we do it is outrageously expensive. Please could they just support other countries for once.
This is what socialized democracies get you. It is very difficult to offer services globally, because of the plethora of laws and regulations in the many countries out there, some of which are contradictory. Just doing business in a few countries is an expensive proposition. You wonder why American products tend to cost more (after conversion) over seas? Well, look no further than your own fiefdom.

dago5252

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
What would be nice, is if Apple let you plug in an HD antenna for basic channels. Then I wouldn't mind paying for some channels.

thanks

Reactions: megfilmworks

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
i like this... and i hope it causes the tv providers to rethink their bullsh.

in my house we have cable that costs us $100 a month. we only watch a few channels but are forced to buy a package with useless channels.

Cable companies are forced to give you bundles of channels by the networks and studios. You are complaining about the wrong industry.

Reactions: mantan

nolankvn

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015
If Apple can let me pick and choose what channels/services I want to actually pay for that would be the television revolution we've all been waiting for.

If they debut an "internet television package" (aka cable lite) then they've failed.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Why would I pay $40 a month for basic channels?? I paid $50 for my HD antenna and get all those channels with no monthly bill. They need to step up their game if they want to break into the TV industry.

Good Luck
That's a good question! I don't know why you, in particular, in your current location, with access to ALL the channels you personally want via an HD antenna that you own and which can pick up good signal for all the channels you want, would pay $40 a month for those very same channels. It's a total mystery for you and people exactly like you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.