Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I actually like the bezel, am I the only one?

No, I like it too. This edge-to-edge just looks nasty. Go ahead, thumb me down I really don't care what you think. The screen spilling to the edge just looks awful.

edge_to_edge.jpg

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
No, I like it too. This edge-to-edge just looks nasty. Go ahead, thumb me down I really don't care what you think. The screen spilling to the edge just looks awful.

my problem with "edge to edge" isn't mostly for its look but because the screen is on the edge, any bump might actually damage or crack it.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Yeah, I'm talking TRUE edge to edge. No bezel at all.

I wasn't thinking about registering false touches from lack of a bezel. That would be annoying.
Currently, impossible to produce. And as you are saying: without any bezel at all, false touches would be registered. And it adds additional problems when you want to use a case.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

While I know there are limitations, and edge to edge displays are not practical. I hardly think they look "nasty". Most of the mock-ups and renditions i've seen look pretty awesome.

Attachments

• iPad3_blue.jpg
    iPad3_blue.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 48
  • iPad-3-concept-edge-to-edge.jpg
    iPad-3-concept-edge-to-edge.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 54

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
These two remind me of mouse pads.. a thing of the past :eek:

Ahah..Was thinking the same thing about the pics. But if it was actually right in front of you, I bet it would look awesome. Just like the new Samsung 8000 series TV's. Probably the closest thing to edge to edge right now, and they look sweet.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Ahah..Was thinking the same thing about the pics. But if it was actually right in front of you, I bet it would look awesome. Just like the new Samsung 8000 series TV's. Probably the closest thing to edge to edge right now, and they look sweet.

True, especially from the my perspective about an iPad.

I like to think of an iPad as part of Apple's iToyz lineup. Products designed for fun, and nothing too serious. They're very enjoyable when used that way. Casual game playing, light web surfing, etc.

For anything else, my personal preference is the laptop form factor, which of course has a good keyboard and easily adjustable screen angle. Therefore when surfing the web, when I come across something I want to capture, it's super fast and easy.

Having the normal Chrome browser I'm used to, immediate fast access to Catch Notes, or Evernote, Screen capture tools, URL shortners, and other very handy extensions makes for a far better experience. While I've tried a wide variety of iPad accessory keyboards, cases, folio's and the like, nothing is as nice, as fast, and as ergonomic as my 11" MBA.

As far as cost, my 64GB iPad 3 plus the Logitech Ultra Thin Keyboard Cover http://goo.gl/LYGQE ends up being within a modest $200 of my MBA.

You what they say... different strokes for different folks :D

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Structural integrity and shock resistance
This! Look how fragile the iPhone is with a bezel... just imagine if it was edge to edge and glass itself was taking more of the "shock" then before. Looks better no doubt, but structural integrity and resistance will be much worse and doubt Apple is going to risk that w/ the flack they already get for easily damaged screens. Need at least some buffer there.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
i'd imagine that it wouldn't be the screen itself that were tricky or expensive to produce, but rather the casing. You couldn't really mount the screen with anything aside from maybe some glue on the back...it'd have to be sandwiched from the front and back. Even a nearly indistinguishable bezel is required to support the screen from the side. The metal bar around the outside could do this, in theory, but it'd be tricky to design one that can actually support the screen properly.

Are you under the impression I am arguing that we should have an edge to edge touchscreen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.