Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdisEdward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
i got a new camera and want to start making some videos for fun in 4K. My 2011 MBP just won't do it.

Which MBP is good for 4K editing? Secondly, is the iMac a better value? Editing video and watching 4K content is the only reason I am looking to buy a new laptop. I usually use my iPad Pro or work laptop at home

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
This is the Mac Pro thread, you'd be better off asking in the MacBook Pro thread.

You'd probably be looking at a 15" MacBook Pro Late 2016 minimum for a decent 4K editing experience.

Reactions: bmxfr

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
Yeah, you are in the wrong area. But in answer to your question... 4K video is very machine intensive. Regardless of which you choose get the newest model you can afford with the best video card (GPU) the model offers, the fastest CPU, at least 16GB of memory - and more is better, plus an SSD. I am not a fan of the fusion drive as they sometimes have issues.

One thing to think about is screen size. If you plan to edit on a MB Pro you might find you want to use an external monitor. I have edited on a 2011 MB Pro - and yes it is very slow going. But the lack of screen size is also a huge issue for me. The iMac obviously has a bigger screen.

You obviously realize the issues involved in an underpowered computer when trying to work with 4K video. So I suggest that whatever you decide get the most machine you can afford.

Lisa

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Wrong forum, but somehow, possible in the right place. If you only consider MBP or iMac, sorry, I can't help much. But IMO, the iMac is a better choice, at least much better screen for editing. And you can get more RAM.

However, if you only consider the best Mac for 4K video editing, you are actually in the right place. The Mac Pro (either the old Mac Pro or the new Mac Pro) are much stronger in 4K video editing than any other Mac (if you get the right config).

My Mac Pro 4,1 (Early 2009), spec as per my signature. Can cost as low as $1000 (Single GPU), but already very capable in 4K video editing. For this particular purpose, and if you only consider a real Mac (not Hackintosh), I don't think any other Mac can beat the old Mac Pro in cost / performance ratio.

However, if for some reason, USB-C / Thunderbolt is a must for you, then old Mac Pro is out of the equation. The new Mac Pro will be the strongest machine in 4K video editing, but usually consider over price at this moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: theitsage

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
Wrong forum, but somehow, possible in the right place. If you only consider MBP or iMac, sorry, I can't help much. But IMO, the iMac is a better choice, at least much better screen for editing. And you can get more RAM.

However, if you only consider the best Mac for 4K video editing, you are actually in the right place. The Mac Pro (either the old Mac Pro or the new Mac Pro) are much stronger in 4K video editing than any other Mac (if you get the right config).

My Mac Pro 4,1 (Early 2009), spec as per my signature. Can cost as low as $1000 (Single GPU), but already very capable in 4K video editing. For this particular purpose, and if you only consider a real Mac (not Hackintosh), I don't think any other Mac can beat the old Mac Pro in cost / performance ratio.

However, if for some reason, USB-C / Thunderbolt is a must for you, then old Mac Pro is out of the equation. Only the new Mac Pro may meet your requirement. That's a strong machine in 4K video editing, but usually consider over price at this moment.

Old Mac pros won't do thunderbolt, but there is a USB-C/3.1 card for them if running sierra.

http://www.caldigit.com/Fasta-6GU3plus/

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio

However, if for some reason, USB-C / Thunderbolt is a must for you, then old Mac Pro is out of the equation. Only the new Mac Pro may meet your requirement. That's a strong machine in 4K video editing, but usually consider over price at this moment.

I totally agree. I use a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 to edit video for work. I recently did a 4K project that was 5 1/2 hours long. It handled it beautifully. They are an editing work horse. I was just - for fun - checking out Mac Pros on eBay and there are some nice system listed for under $1000.

Lisa

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Unfortunately, Apple just isn't really making any computers right now that work well with high-end video production. Your best bet would be a spec'd out iMac 5K or a high-end Mac Pro. You could also build a beastly PC and hackintosh it.

Feel free to join us in crossing our fingers for a Mac Pro update. It's looooong overdue.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
Unfortunately, Apple just isn't really making any computers right now that work well with high-end video production. Your best bet would be a spec'd out iMac 5K or a high-end Mac Pro. You could also build a beastly PC and hackintosh it.

Feel free to join us in crossing our fingers for a Mac Pro update. It's looooong overdue.

I just want to say to this as another opinion, I know guys doing high end 4k cinematography using 4k cinema cameras editing on fully spec'd IMacs.

Reality is that while everyone wishes and dreams, laptops were never really intended to be a main working machine, more a mobile machine to use while having a workstation at home base. Unless you want to start discussing external GPU's

EdisEdward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Thanks for the responses guy. I did post on the wrong forum, i thought this was the MBP forums. I will repost there.

However, quick question. Is it safe to assume that everyone that uploads 4K video on YouTube has a spec'd out machine? Like they all have super high end computers? I never needed a super powerful laptop for my personal needs....always survived with a MB Air and an ipad etc.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
Thanks for the responses guy. I did post on the wrong forum, i thought this was the MBP forums. I will repost there.

However, quick question. Is it safe to assume that everyone that uploads 4K video on YouTube has a spec'd out machine? Like they all have super high end computers? I never needed a super powerful laptop for my personal needs....always survived with a MB Air and an ipad etc.

Honestly, a lot depends on what is acceptable to you regarding editing speeds? I am not a video guy but my recommendation is to look up the recommended system requirements for your editing software of choice and use that as guide for your minimum system specs and then factor in all the other things you want to do that require other specs or bigger drives or whatever.

Factoring in that different software requires different stuff, some are more cpu intensive some are more gpu. Some are cuda based, others open cl.
[doublepost=1484295852][/doublepost]The anoying thing about software is they are all written with different requirements. Here are some spec requirement sheets and also general info regarding the needs of different software.

http://www.apple.com/nz/final-cut-pro/specs/
https://www.dcinema.me/davinci-resolve-system-requirements-a-reality-check/
http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-pro/specifications/
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html
http://www.avid.com/media-composer/specifications

What I often find funny is that while some of the requirements are substantial they are less then what most people think they need. But but but it then depends on how fast you expect your editing to happen and how much patience you have regarding waiting for your computer to perform tasks.
[doublepost=1484296221][/doublepost]Another good little article.

https://www.videomaker.com/article/f6/17135-editing-in-4k-minimum-system-requirements

Last edited:

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
i got a new camera and want to start making some videos for fun in 4K…

Don't worry about it. If you're buying a new MacBook Pro now, you'll be fine for your needs.

I'd get the 15" to have some screen area to work with. Point of entry is $2395 or something like that in the U.S. For $200 more you'll max out the gfx card. FCPX can use that. The lower cost model gets you 256GB internal SSD, but that will basically just cover OS, Apps and very small projects. Upgrade if possible.

You can hook up a 3-4TB USB drive that you buy for $100 and work off of that in 'proxy' mode in FCPX. You can even work in 4k off of that drive with 'optimised' (ProRes) footage if all you do is cut to the same timeline. Set playback to 'better performance' as opposed to 'better quality'. It will still look great.

As your budget recovers, get faster SSD based storage that you hook up with TB3.

I mean... there are many ways to skin a cat.

If you prefer a stationary computer with a larger screen, by all means get an iMac. That will work too.

Good luck.

chriz_r

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016

Many content creators tend to use a bigger and highly spec' out machines because it is how they make a living and buying the right tools is always a good investment. Just like a doctor who buys $500k ekg machines and mechanics buying $100k alignment machines or chefs buying $3k knives, editing computers for video creators are just part of the overall expense to get the job done the right way.

As far as your possible use, you might be perfectly fine the new MacBook Pro as many people generally edit on 4K proxy media and then just export full res. My suggestion would be to invest in faster memory cards and ssd external drives as those are consumables that will run out quickly and you'll notice that need fairly soon. Make sure you have good cooling on any of your machines that you use for 4K editing, wether be it an air conditioned room or a fan towards the machine or a dedicated laptop cooler. This will ensure a better longevity period for the system because they'll tend to overheat during intensive gpu/CPU usage since Apple computers are designed to be sleek and stylish but not cool (temperature wise).

There are some complaints about the iMacs overheating or having display issues, I'm not sure if that's already been dealt with but if you are in the market for a new system, do a search on their potential problems first and then their strengths after. Compare common issues and educate yourself on what might go wrong on the specific machines that you might decide to buy. When you're ready, at least you'll know what you're getting into. Many people will praise and give their biased opinions on the machines that they already bought and ignore the flaws because they may want to justify their purchase,so you can't always trust that. However, those who voice out issues and their concerns will generally be honest and are all just willing to get the most of what they have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.