Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2006
Quick question. I use Garageband to record voice -- no music. I need to be able to edit the file. That is, to take out breath sounds, etc.

All I can find in support and tutorials is cutting and pasting regions. This does not work. I need to be able to select a small part of a speech and cut, increase volume, etc., to it.

Is this possible in Garageband? If so, how is it done?

If not, what's a decent software package (not ProTools) for this?

I used to use Cool Edit Pro on a Windows machine, and it was perfect for my needs. I switched to the Mac a year ago and have not found what I need.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
TomG said:
Quick question. I use Garageband to record voice -- no music. I need to be able to edit the file. That is, to take out breath sounds, etc.

All I can find in support and tutorials is cutting and pasting regions. This does not work. I need to be able to select a small part of a speech and cut, increase volume, etc., to it.

I used to use Cool Edit Pro on a Windows machine, and it was perfect for my needs. I switched to the Mac a year ago and have not found what I need.

yes, this is quite possible, but you have to kind of know what you're doing. I can try to explain if you wish

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005

Join the club. There is nothing like Cool Edit on OS X. It's a PITA. There's a free program called SparkME that lets you edit quite well, though there is nothing on OS X that has the scientific and mathmatical filters like Cool Edit.

:-(

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
TomG said:

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the functionality of Cool Edit Pro, but in GarageBand did you try cutting say behind the breathes you want to take out and shortening the segment? The key is to make sure Snap To Grid is unchecked in the Control menu.

If that doesn't work, you might want to check out Peak LE.

Moria

macrumors regular
May 7, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
Try out Audacity, I use that to edit music files, nothing heavy. Just chopping off blank stuff at the end of some songs (like the last song on every Robbie Williams album until the secret song).

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
TomG said:
I use Garageband to record voice -- no music. I need to be able to edit the file. That is, to take out breath sounds, etc.
coming from an artistic standpoint, are you sure you want to do that? sometimes that can sound unnatural. if the breaths are too loud, sometimes i'll automate the volume curve to de-emphasize them, but not remove them entirely.

also, why are the breathing sounds too loud? the occasional loud breath is understandable, but if you're getting a lot of unwanted spurious signal, i'd have to ask about your recording method.

TomG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2006
The breath sounds was just an example. With Garage Band, I can delete regions, but can't cut out parts of speech inside a region. Or, at least, I can't figure out how to do that.

What I am looking for is a way to click and drag, highlight part of a wave form, so I can delete it, or increase the gain/volume in it, etc.

It's easy to do with Cool Edit Pro or Audition. I think it can be done in Peak, which I'm trying to learn.

But, I can't find a way to do this with Garage Band.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
ok...

TomG said:
The breath sounds was just an example. With Garage Band, I can delete regions, but can't cut out parts of speech inside a region. Or, at least, I can't figure out how to do that.

What I am looking for is a way to click and drag, highlight part of a wave form, so I can delete it, or increase the gain/volume in it, etc.

It's easy to do with Cool Edit Pro or Audition. I think it can be done in Peak, which I'm trying to learn.

But, I can't find a way to do this with Garage Band.

hi Tom,

I'd be happy to talk you through this. It's very easy and I could probably explain it to you in about 5 or 10 minutes. Here's my personal email address:

little_peyton@hotmail.com

if you want, send me a message and we'll set something up

TomG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2006
Beatsme, I appreciate the offer.

Reading the thread on audio editing apps for Intel Macs, I tried the demo of Sound Studio. Within five minutes of trying it, I bought it.

I just recorded the voice over for a television show using Sound Studio, and I think it's exactly what I need. I can take the Macbook Pro, the mic, and the Apogee MiniMe on the road when I travel (quite often), and record this narration in hotel rooms, and send it to the editor.

If, however, I get to a point where I need to work in Garageband, I'll give you a shout. Many thanks.

Tom

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
sure...

TomG said:
Beatsme, I appreciate the offer.

Reading the thread on audio editing apps for Intel Macs, I tried the demo of Sound Studio. Within five minutes of trying it, I bought it.

I just recorded the voice over for a television show using Sound Studio, and I think it's exactly what I need. I can take the Macbook Pro, the mic, and the Apogee MiniMe on the road when I travel (quite often), and record this narration in hotel rooms, and send it to the editor.

If, however, I get to a point where I need to work in Garageband, I'll give you a shout. Many thanks.

Tom

my pleasure. glad you found your solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.