1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

eiffel tower on fire?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by zimv20, Jul 22, 2003.

1. macrumors 601

zimv20

cnn has a breaking news headline that it's on fire. can't find any other source. anyone know anything?

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, they don't really say much. And since its a metal structure, I don't think there is much to worry about, especially since its at the top.

D

3. macrumors 68020

G4scott

There is a fire on the eiffel tower, but all of the news networks are caught up on the raid on Saddam's sons, and Jessica Lynch.

I haven't seen any pictures yet, but I don't think it's too serious...

4. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Depending on the heat there could be severe damage to the support beams. It's not like metal is fireproof.

Although I think it might be kinda funny if the eiffel tower was condemned. :cool:

5. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Why funny? Would it be funny if the Statue of Liberty was condemned?

6. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I think anyone who said ___ should be condemned should just have that to happen to yourself.

And the direct link is:
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/07/22/eiffel.tower/index.html

If its a small fire it will not do much damage.

7. macrumors 601

zimv20

8. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Moderatorship aside, it's just a ridiculous attitude to throw around.

9. macrumors 601

zimv20

i learn a new word every day :)

i like it

10. macrumors 68020

G4scott

Can't we all just get along? I don't think we need to joke about the destruction of each others' countries' monuments.

11. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

see, i don't think he was joking. Nothing like a good ol' dose of xenophobia to get the world moving...

pnw

12. macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

if we're gonna make jokes about other countries monument we shouldn't forget that day a few years back when another country decimated two of ours.....

if a french person said something snarky about WTC, you'd be not so happy.....

13. macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm happy to hear that no one was injured. Human life is the most important!

14. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i too am glad no one was hurt. that's not funny to say oh well. what if someone was hurt, and it was someone you knew?