Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm having an odd issue with Mac OS X 10.3.5. I have all the latest updates. When I insert a CD or DVD, its icon appears in the sidebar like it should. When I eject it, the icon SHOULD disappear, but it doesn't. Clicking on it tells me that the alias could not be used because the original could not be found. Dragging it off the sidebar makes it go away until I recheck the show CDs/DVDs/iPods box in Finder Preferences. Forcing the Finder to quit makes the ghost CD icons go away for good. Does anyone have ideas as to why this is occurring and/or any solutions?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I noticed that every once in a while myself, but it wasn't a constant thing. I've been on 10.3.6 pre-release for a while (now on build 7R24) and haven't seen anything like that. Given the apparent maturity of 7R24, I expect 10.3.6 to be released shortly, so hopefully - regardless of the cause - your problem will be fixed soon.

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
Same here--kill a process to remove the icon...

Occasional occurrence for me, approximately every two months, with 10.3.x on my PowerMac but only occurs when I have my iPod connected.

I would get rid of the icon by going to the Activity Monitor and killing a process that was associated with the combo drive. Since I've mostly been using my PowerBook for the past couple of months, I haven't had to do this lately so I can't remember what the name of the process was... but I think based on the process name, I was able to associate it with the combo drive. Start killing things that look CD volume related... and let us know the name of the process once you find it.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Try dragging the icon out of the sidebar.

Happened a few times with network drives and this fixed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.