Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
Hi guys,

Here is the news, after having updated my Mac Pro 5,1 to El Capitan following the steps advised by Macvidcards, my primary graphic card GTX Titan X as well as my 4xGTX Titan are recognised by the OS X system and Octane.
My nVidia web driver is the latest: 346.03.02f01
My cuda version is: 7.5.20
Octane version: 2.24.1-R1

I though it was interesting to share it as everything is working well.

Cheers
Regis

Attachments

• octane.png
    octane.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 600
  • system.png
    system.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 473
Reactions: Flint Ironstag

p.l

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2015
Hi guys,

Here is the news, after having updated my Mac Pro 5,1 to El Capitan following the steps advised by Macvidcards, my primary graphic card GTX Titan X as well as my 4xGTX Titan are recognised by the OS X system and Octane.

Cheers
Regis

Hey Regis

are the titans in the cubic pc cards? and did you have to edit anything in 10.11 to get them to work?

What steps did MVC advise?

Thanks

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
Hey Regis

are the titans in the cubic pc cards? and did you have to edit anything in 10.11 to get them to work?

What steps did MVC advise?

Thanks

The 4 x gtx Titan are unflashed (unmodified).
I didn't do anything in 10.11.
For my primary card which is a gtx Titan X flashed by MVC, I just followed the instruction for making the update from Yosemite to El Capitan.
That's it, piece of cake and everything is working well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Regis

p.l

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2015
The 4 x gtx Titan are unflashed (unmodified).
I didn't do anything in 10.11.
For my primary card which is a gtx Titan X flashed by MVC, I just followed the instruction for making the update from Yosemite to El Capitan.
That's it, piece of cake and everything is working well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Regis

Hey Regis

Im not getting the same results with my Amfeltec :(

My machine isn't booting at all. Doesn't even chime
I have a MVC K4200 and 2x980+2x980ti's

Any help or idea would be great

Thanks
Phillip

p.l

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2015
Do you have Web Drivers installed?

Of course

Interesting though the K4200 lost its inbuilt driver that was there in 10.9 and 10.10. all good though

So i figured it out.

Although they allow external cards. it seems every card has to be the same on the Cubix/Amfeltec
and a MAX on 2 different cards.
This is from my personal testing....

NO BOOT
Slot 1 - 980ti
Slot 2 - K4200
Slot 3 - Amfeltec 2x 980's + 1 980ti

Slot 1 -
Slot 2 - K4200
Slot 3 - Amfeltec 2x 980's + 1 980ti

Slot 1 -
Slot 2 - K4200
Slot 3 - Amfeltec 2x 980's + 2 980ti's

BOOT
Slot 1 - 980ti
Slot 2 - K4200
Slot 3 - Amfeltec 980ti

Slot 1 - 980ti
Slot 2 -
Slot 3 - Amfeltec 2x 980's

Slot 1 -
Slot 2 - K4200
Slot 3 - Amfeltec 2x 980ti's

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
Hey Regis

Im not getting the same results with my Amfeltec :(

My machine isn't booting at all. Doesn't even chime
I have a MVC K4200 and 2x980+2x980ti's

Any help or idea would be great

Thanks
Phillip

Hi Phillip,

Like MVC asked, I was having the same question (about driver)...
Good to know as per your testing that PCI-e expansion chassis shall have the same cards installed.

Cheers
Regis

p.l

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2015
UPDATE:

It won't work with Maxwell externally.
I can't get more than 3 980ti's registered along with any other cards.

Wont boot if i add my K4200 internally or externally.

Must be limited to Kepler which is in internal OS X driver I'm thinking because you and cbm7 (Netkas Forum) both have 4 titans external but u can't get 3 980ti's.

p.l

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2015
Proof it will only work with Kepler

3x GTX 680 4gb (PC) + 1x 780ti (PC) on the splitter boot up just fine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-17 at 5.03.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-17 at 5.03.29 PM.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 254

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
UPDATE:

It won't work with Maxwell externally.
I can't get more than 3 980ti's registered along with any other cards.

Wont boot if i add my K4200 internally or externally.

Must be limited to Kepler which is in internal OS X driver I'm thinking because you and cbm7 (Netkas Forum) both have 4 titans external but u can't get 3 980ti's.

Hmmm interesting.
Now, what if those cards were flashed by MVC for instance? Perhaps they would work...

Cheers
Regis

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hmm, not sure it would help. Guy has 2 @ EFI 980s, only one uses the EFI in his chassis. Would be interesting to know if the cubix that takes up 2 slots inside MP sees more.

p.l

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2015
Updating this as I've had some PM's about it.

From my testing/experience.

It will NOT boot with 4+ cards if you are running Maxwell gen..
I could not boot with 3 980ti's and a GT120
3 Maxwell cards is the maximum you can run, I believe if they had EFI they would work as in Yosemite you could run external chassis but the cards had to have EFI. This may not be the case with Maxwell but just a thought.

I am running 2 980ti's and 3 780ti's atm. On the lookout for Titan Blacks to test as i need 6g vRam.

So with 1-2 Maxwell you can run 5 cards total.

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
Updating this as I've had some PM's about it.

From my testing/experience.

It will NOT boot with 4+ cards if you are running Maxwell gen..
I could not boot with 3 980ti's and a GT120
3 Maxwell cards is the maximum you can run, I believe if they had EFI they would work as in Yosemite you could run external chassis but the cards had to have EFI. This may not be the case with Maxwell but just a thought.

I am running 2 980ti's and 3 780ti's atm. On the lookout for Titan Blacks to test as i need 6g vRam.

So with 1-2 Maxwell you can run 5 cards total.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Cheers
Regis

goalque

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2015
Interesting. I’ve been reported about an external GPU setup, 4 Nvidia GPUs on the nMP (2 x D500, 3 x 780Ti, 1 x GTX 980) through an Amfeltec splitter.

Tutor

macrumors 65816
The problem discussed might not be of Apple's doing. I don't have any GTX 980s or 980 TIs (the Maxwells are not tremendously faster at rendering than my high-end Kepler series GPUs, so I'm awaiting GTX Pascals and Voltas for a bigger boost in compute performance [ http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-gtc-2015/ ]). I do have various GTX 700 series GPUs. My GTX 780 TIs and GTX Titan Zs are Input-Output space ("IO") hogs [ see this thread for multiple discussions of IO space and related issues - https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=43597#p212504 ]. It wouldn't surprise me if the GTX 980 TIs are feeding from the same trough as the GTX 780 TIs and the newer Titans. Moreover, different GPU processor generations can have vastly different IO space requirements. I can run only 8xGTX 780 TIs (8 GPU processors) or 4xGTX Titan Zs (8 GPU processors) in an 8 slot Tyan server regardless of which of the major three OSes I chose to run, but I can run at least 16 GPU processors in that same case using eight dual GPU processor GTX 590s, running Linux and 10xGTX 780s running Linux or Windows (using either x16 to x16 powered risers or an Amfeltec splitter). A trend I'm seeing is that as GPUs are outfitted with more memory and newer GPU processors, their IO space needs are getting greater and thus fewer of them can be run in one system. Of course, in terms of how OS impacts IO space, Linux ranks No. 1, Windows ranks No. 2, and Mac OS ranks No. 3 in terms of max, overall IO space handling and maximizing individual GPU space allocations. System-wise, the more PCIe slots a system has is a very good indicator of how many GPUs it was intended to support (but that's not usually the maximum but it tends to be very close to it). So for the self-builders, I tend to recommend SuperMicro's X9DRX [ http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DRX_-F.cfm ] or X10DRX [ https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c600/x10drx.cfm ], as each of them has 11 PCIe slots [ https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...llation/18-gpus-in-a-single-rig-and-it-works/ ], although the ASRock Extreme 11s (which cost about $200 more than the X9DRXs and about the same price as the X10DRXs) are also good choices [ https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=45279&p=253909#p254749 ]. A system with a bios that allows IO allocations above the 4G space are to critical to maximizing the number of GPUs that can be supported. That feature, if it exists, is usually found as a selection in the PCIe section of the bios. So I recommend downloading the manual covering the bios of the system that one has in mind and ensuring that functionality exists before handing over cash or incurring credit charges/debt.

Last edited:

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
Hi Tutor,

Hope you are fine.

Thank you for your input.
It's always my pleasure to read your great and precise explanations.

From my side, for now everything is working fine under OS X 10.11.1.

Cheers
Regis

nickmilitello

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
Interesting. I’ve been reported about an external GPU setup, 4 Nvidia GPUs on the nMP (2 x D500, 3 x 780Ti, 1 x GTX 980) through an Amfeltec splitter.
Can you let me more details on this set up. I have been looking at the NA255a from Netstor to get 4 980ti to work with my nMP. I currently have a single 980ti via thunderbolt Akito box and it works great. Need more horsepower for Octane though.

Hps1

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2017
Has there been any revelations in this area after Sierra and Pascal - are we still limited to three Maxwell cards?

Rodrigo Lizana

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
Santiago Chile
Hi, it´s been a long time since the start of this thread but I can no longer stay with 10.8.5 !!!. I want to upgrade the OS in order to start using Resolve 14. Resolve 14 asks for el Capitan as minimum requirements. The Mac Pro 4.1 dual 2.26 can be upgraded to el Capitan but I´m not sure El Capitan will recognize and work with the cards I have on the Cubix. 3x 680 GTX 4GB plus a USB 3 card.

Thanks in advance !!!

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Hi, it´s been a long time since the start of this thread but I can no longer stay with 10.8.5 !!!. I want to upgrade the OS in order to start using Resolve 14. Resolve 14 asks for el Capitan as minimum requirements. The Mac Pro 4.1 dual 2.26 can be upgraded to el Capitan but I´m not sure El Capitan will recognize and work with the cards I have on the Cubix. 3x 680 GTX 4GB plus a USB 3 card.

Thanks in advance !!!
Try it and see, then let us know.

0. Backup your system and verify the backup.

1. Clone your system to a fast drive and upgrade the clone to el cap.

Or, do a fresh el cap install on said drive.

2. Install resolve 14 and test with Cubix.

3. ??

4. We all profit from your findings.

Reactions: Hps1

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Hi guys,

Cheers
Regis
These were the days when we had REAL Mac Pros. 🍸

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.