Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
So it looks like we've won. All the ranting, petitions and articles finally paid off. I have to say, after 4 years, I did not expect this coming now, especially as Apple hasn't been selling Mac's with 3rd party SATA bays for a long time.

Updates are coming to Trim Enabler and Disk Sensei to take advantage of the Apple sanctioned way of enabling Trim. We're finally going to get Trim on the Mac without compromising system security or stability. :D

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
SU has always seemed more reliable and/or powerful than SUDO. Does using SU remove the need to change Rootless?

Umm what now? o_O

No, unless otherwise configured, sudo and su will default to running the command as root. Both are equally "reliable and/or powerful".

The main differences are that su needs to be run once and all following commands will be as superuser, whereas with sudo, each command needs to be prefixed with "sudo", arguably making it a lot safer.

The other main difference is that with sudo I can limit or specify which commands the user can run as root which makes it more flexible and potentially more secure as this is in line with the security principle of providing the least privilege necessary (why give you access to run all commands as root when you only need to run one command as root to do your job). Almost all systems default to ALL, allowing a sudoer to run any command as root.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Thanks, the reason for the question is this. In years past while working in Linux, I've found that while trying to execute a particular operation using CLI, sudo would fail at times. However upon tiring of the sudo fails, I would then use SU and find success. This leaving me to feel that SU is a more powerful or brute force mode with elevated privileges. It doesn't feel equally powerful when one is llimited or restricted to specific operations, and the other provides unrestricted or elevated command processing.

I fully understand that both provide root access, but sudo seems to exclude some command operations where SU dose not.

Based on this knowledge, do you really think the question was that goofy? I was basically asking if SU had the brute force strength to change system files that sudo is restricted from.

The other main difference is that with sudo I can limit or specify which commands the user can run as root which makes it more flexible and potentially more secure as this is in line with the security principle of providing the least privilege necessary (why give you access to run all commands as root when you only need to run one command as root to do your job). Almost all systems default to ALL, allowing a sudoer to run any command as root.

My point... You could have just said no, SU doesn't provide elevated privileges for that particular type of operation.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
In years past while working in Linux, I've found that while trying to execute a particular operation using CLI, sudo would fail at times. However upon tiring of the sudo fails, I would then use SU and find success.

It sounds like you were working on a system which had restricted what commands you could run with sudo. It makes no sense to work like this because they didn't lock down su as well.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I agree, but that's why I asked the question if something similar was possible with Cappy.

With OS X the only difference in the default configuration will be that sudo is safer because you need to actively invoke it each time you want elevated privilege. With su you run the risk of forgetting you are superuser and doing something silly.

Reactions: crjackson2134

SmacTX

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Apple is encouraging users to hack into the OS by not supporting TRIM on non-Apple SSDs and blocking users from modifying the OS will have the opposite effect. I've been a faithful hardcore Mac user for many years and I've spent thousands of dollars on Apple hardware but it seems that custom upgrading your Mac the way you want it will become impossible such as DIY SSD upgrades with each new OS release. Using a hacking tool like TRIM Enabler is not the same as native TRIM support. I will not be upgrading my iMac or MacBook Pro to El Capitan. I will be using Mavericks for as long as it takes. I'm very disappointed in Apple.
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=0"
reboot

Code:
sudo trimforce enable

Try it. Problem solved.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
So this and the previous posts suggest that disabling kernel signing is not required anymore when disabling rootless?

And people claim TRIM support is still working when you re-enable rootless AND disable developer mode again (-> kernel signature check re-enabled)?! That comes as a bit of surprise, and if that's the case, I guess that's really a bug and will be fixed in the release version.

Or does the OS really not bother anymore to verify kernel extension signatures - at least the extensions it "knows" are from Apple - when rootless is enabled, under the assumption that "they couldn't have changed anyway"?

Somehow I don't think that will remain forever - that sounds like a bug to me...

Yes they plan to remove rootless=0 boot argument before the final release. That just means you'll have to use Apple's official method as below;

1 - Boot into the recovery partition, and use the new Security Configuration menu tool to turn off rootless; (Utilities > Security Configuration > Enforce System Integrity Protection)
2 - Reboot to desktop and open a terminal session

3 - Enter the command "sudo trimforce enable"

4 - Press the enter key and follow all the prompts, and agree to the terms

5 - Reboot into the recovery partition and turn rootless back on again

6 - Boot to the normal desktop and enjoy trim on all of your SSDs

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007

Ah, thanks. I had used Safari to seek the word timsutton in that topic; it wasn't found. Now I find the name, Tim Sutton.

There's https://forums.developer.apple.com/people/timsutton however, from what I recall of the new approach, prior developer program members are discouraged from using a real/recognisable name as the username when regaining privileged access to Apple Developer Forums. It's reasonable to assume that people/timsutton is the person whose true name is Tim Sutton, but for the Apple Developer Programs user I see nothing more than "0 points • Level 1" so without you telling me, I can't be sure.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I certainly hope OS X El Capitan will have TRIM support for non-Apple branded SSDs. Currently my MacBook Pro has a Samsung 1TB SSD with Mavericks 10.9.5 installed and if Apple refuses to support TRIM for non-Apple branded SSDs I'm not even going to bother.

Don't bother then. Apple has never officially supported non apple hardware and never will.

EDIT: It seems there is an unofficial way of doing it, but it's still a kludge.

Last edited:

MarkFi

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2015
I got this error when trying to disable System Integrity. Your help much appreciated!

IMG_0008.jpg

Well, i´ve found the solution: you have to reset the pram: hold ⌘⌥PR at boot and wait for restart.

Last edited:

JacquesleMac

macrumors regular
May 24, 2010
Oxford, UK
I hope the opprobrium of the MR forum won’t be heaped upon me as a newbie, but what’s the great advantage in enabling TRIM on a third-party drive ?

I have two iMacs both running 10.10.3. The late ’09 27-inch was upgraded with a Crucial M550 512GB SSD; the late 2014 5K has the BTO 512GB flash upgrade. I’ve not noticed any decrease in performance in the former since I swapped out the HD nine months ago, even though TRIM isn’t supported. BlackMagic Read/Write results are identical. Boot time is the same as the day I first powered up the SSD (within two seconds, a slowdown that’s probably attributable to startup registering the 3 USB external backup drives now hanging out of the back).

So one of my Macs has TRIM enabled, the other not. I can’t tell any difference. Am I being dim or realistic ?

Last edited:

JacquesleMac

macrumors regular
May 24, 2010
Oxford, UK

Thanks Lou, but I get the feeling my 2009 iMac will have expired from other causes long before lack of TRIM support affects the drive. As I say, absolutely no noticeable degradation in nine months. Within four years the iMac will be ten years old and I doubt I’ll be using it. Or Apple will have allowed a third-party manufacturer to issue a fix.

Even if I do start to suffer the problems described in the article, can’t I just reformat the SSD and copy back yesterday’s cloned backup ?

Maybe this affects power users at the cutting edge, but to an average user it doesn’t seem a problem (at least, not from the evidence so far).

PS: Having just read all the anti-TRIM sentiment on MR Forums here, I’m quite glad I don’t have TRIM enabled on my Crucial SSD...

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Even if I do start to suffer the problems described in the article, can’t I just reformat the SSD and copy back yesterday’s cloned backup ?

You don't need to do that. You can just enable TRIM then boot to single user mode and run the command "fsck -fy" and that will TRIM unused blocks on the drive and restore performance.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I doubt I’ll be using it. Or Apple will have allowed a third-party manufacturer to issue a fix.

So that's the reason Apple tried to disallow third party SSD Trim utilization! Huh, and they wanted folks to screw up and slowdown Apple branded SSDs.

Lou

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Yes they plan to remove rootless=0 boot argument before the final release. That just means you'll have to use Apple's official method as below;

1 - Boot into the recovery partition, and use the new Security Configuration menu tool to turn off rootless; (Utilities > Security Configuration > Enforce System Integrity Protection)
2 - Reboot to desktop and open a terminal session

3 - Enter the command "sudo trimforce enable"

4 - Press the enter key and follow all the prompts, and agree to the terms

5 - Reboot into the recovery partition and turn rootless back on again

6 - Boot to the normal desktop and enjoy trim on all of your SSDs

Does this method stick, once set, to leave rootless off in the same way the "rootless=0" command did? Or does it go back to rootless on after reboot again?

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Does this method stick, once set, to leave rootless off in the same way the "rootless=0" command did? Or does it go back to rootless on after reboot again?
The theory is that you can activate rootless security once again after doing whatever it was you deactivated rootless security to begin with. Whatever changes were made in the interim should stick. That includes trimforce.

JacquesleMac

macrumors regular
May 24, 2010
Oxford, UK
You don't need to do that. You can just enable TRIM then boot to single user mode and run the command "fsck -fy" and that will TRIM unused blocks on the drive and restore performance.

Thanks Weaselboy

You mean all I have to do in Yosemite is go to Terminal and enter the command

"sudo trimforce enable”

quit Terminal, then reboot in single user and run "fsck -fy” ?

As easy as that ?

(Sorry, but I did say I was a newbie !)

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009

This thread is about El Capitan, not Yosemite. The sort of command you mention (trimforce) works in El Capitan. It hasn't been implemented in the Yosemite 10.10.4 latest downloadable beta yet, so, no, it won't work in Yosemite (at least for now).

Reactions: crjackson2134

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks Weaselboy

sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=0"

Reboot

Open terminal again and enter the command

"sudo trimforce enable”

quit Terminal, then reboot in single user and run "fsck -fy” ?

As easy as that ?

(Sorry, but I did say I was a newbie !)

I Added the bold part.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.